Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Anybody own a 2014+ Jeep GC?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-15, 11:33 AM
Reaper21
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anybody own a 2014+ Jeep GC?

Thinking about getting a new or CPO Jeep Grand Cherokee so doing some research. I know the older generation Jeeps have had quite a few issues but I've heard the new model has improved.

Anybody here own one? Any input is appreciated.
Old 08-26-15, 12:18 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Even the newer models have issues like rolling down the hill when in park.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/nhtsa-i...g-when-parked/

There is a reason Jeep is always at the bottom of the list in every reliability survey.
Old 08-26-15, 01:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Several people here in Car Chat have owner-experience with recent JGCs.....but I'll wait and let them chime in on their own experiences.

I will say, though, that based on my own limited experience in a one-day review, the JGC became a totally transformed vehicle a few years ago. Ride, handling, fit/finish, noise level, interior trim, engine power, drivetrain flexibiity/refinement....all, IMO, were up sharply over older models. Reliability, though, seems a mixed bag....some owners reporting few or no problems, others with reliability issues.
Old 08-26-15, 01:06 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Reaper21
Thinking about getting a new or CPO Jeep Grand Cherokee so doing some research. I know the older generation Jeeps have had quite a few issues but I've heard the new model has improved.

Anybody here own one? Any input is appreciated.
Why not get a 4Runner?
Old 08-26-15, 02:49 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Why not get a 4Runner?
The Jeep(in upper trim levels) is way more posh inside and a lot more power with the Hemi V8 option. Toyota used to offer a V8 in the 4-Runner, but not anymore.
Old 08-26-15, 02:50 PM
Reaper21
Pole Position

Because the price Toyota is asking for a 4Runner is absolutely ridiculous. A comparable JGC is cheaper and all around a better SUV (excluding reliability of course).
Old 08-26-15, 02:56 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Because the price Toyota is asking for a 4Runner is absolutely ridiculous. A comparable JGC is cheaper and all around a better SUV (excluding reliability of course).
You're half way to a decision. Looks good, is cheap, will last until end of lease term, good warranty is a must.

What color are you getting?
Old 08-26-15, 03:14 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I had the 2011, first of the new generation. It was great, as others on this board, I am a Toyota/Lexus enthusiast, I loved the body on frame SUVs. I've had the 03 4Runner with the V8, and have had various Land Cruisers, LX's and GX's within the family.

That said, when it came time to look for a midsize SUV, the Grand Cherokee, especially in Overland trim, just had the 4Runner beat in terms of on road ride and handling, and interior materials and design (this has been enhanced even further with the 2014+ models).

I think it's one of the best all-around vehicles on the market, with a handsome understated exterior design.

May have some issues here and there, but as long as you're close to a good dealer, Chrysler will typically take care of everything (at least in my own experience). Dead pixel in the screen, etc were all quickly and easily addressed. They would even give me a loaner/rental for anything that came up. Toyota dealers don't typically do this from my experience.

People that buy have typically bought the "lifetime" warranty that you can buy online for a little over $1,000 or so. Jeep Garage was a pretty useful forum.
Old 08-26-15, 03:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

We had two, a 2011 Laredo X and a 2014 Overland. We traded the 2014 Overland on a Kia Sedona minivan after the birth of our twins just because of space.

The JGC is a VERY nice vehicle. The 2011 had some small, annoying warranty problems that plagued it off and on, but the 2014 was really a joy. One of my favorite vehicles I've had, I miss it. Heads and shoulders nicer than other "luxury" SUVs in the same price space (RX, MDX/RDX, etc). I've got an NX loaner right now, and I have no idea why anybody would buy one of these when they could have a JGC.

4Runner is nowhere near as nice. I'd buy another one without hesitation. Get a late run 2014 or 2015, the early 2014s had some electrical issues. Not as reliable as a Lexus for sure, but worth it.
Old 08-26-15, 05:05 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Have it ever occured to you that the money difference have been spent on better engineering which in turn made 4Runner more reliable?

Or, put it another way, Jeep can probably engineer a reliable GC but it won't be near the same price point. Testing SUVs durability by driving them on stairs is cheap but not effective.
Old 08-26-15, 05:47 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS;916296.
I've got an NX loaner right now, and I have no idea why anybody would buy one of these when they could have a JGC.

4Runner is nowhere near as nice.
Some people would not agree with you. I don't find the JGC that appealing or luxurious. It's premium for sure, but I would not consider the JGC a luxury SUV. I also would not consider the Jeep brand a luxury brand at all. Premium yes!
Old 08-26-15, 05:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

My Overland Jeep was more luxurious in many ways than my LS460. Better leather, real leather on the dash and door panels. LCD customizable instrumentation, all the same apps, better tech. It wasn't even the top trim, the Summit has even better leather, an alcantara headliner, better audio...not a luxury brand no, or a luxury dealer experience to be sure, but a very luxurious vehicle. The only people who would say that just looking at the vehicle that an NX or RX Lexus, or even a GX was a more luxurious vehicle than an Overland or Summit JGC are 100% hung up on brand.
Old 08-26-15, 06:07 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
My Overland Jeep was more luxurious in many ways than my LS460. Better leather, real leather on the dash and door panels. LCD customizable instrumentation, all the same apps, better tech. It wasn't even the top trim, the Summit has even better leather, an alcantara headliner, better audio...not a luxury brand no, or a luxury dealer experience to be sure, but a very luxurious vehicle. The only people who would say that just looking at the vehicle that an NX or RX Lexus, or even a GX was a more luxurious vehicle than an Overland or Summit JGC are 100% hung up on brand.
Exactly how I ended up in my Grand Cherokee. I've had friends and clients that were going to go with a GX, and after they saw my Grand Cherokee changed their minds and went with the Jeep. As SW15LS says, not a luxury brand, but that's one of the things I really liked about the Jeep. Not particularly showy or potentially pretentious exterior, but great on the inside, which is where it counts for me.
Old 08-26-15, 06:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yep. If I didn't love the LS so much, and prefer a car for my daily driver for business reasons I would have seriously considered a Summit JGC to replace my GS.
Old 08-26-15, 07:00 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I haven't owned the latest model Jeep GC, but if I was in the market for an SUV in that class it would be my first pick, hands down. Very nice-looking without all the styling gimmicks being added to the other SUVs. The design will age well.

Quick Reply: Anybody own a 2014+ Jeep GC?