Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What to do when your vehicle gets keyed

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-15, 10:32 AM
PlatinumV8
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy What to do when your vehicle gets keyed

My mint condition Lexus got keyed from one end to the other and bumper side swiped. I just found it yesterday and literally fell to the ground crying. (I'm a girl btw)

They knew I had a dash cam and it is motion activated. Must have come in from the side from the rear. Lots of key marks along door handles and under door handles. Obviously made by a human animal out for revenge, at my audacity for driving a Lexus in metro Detroit. Someone thought about what they were doing and were careful to stay out of view of the camera.

In my area if you have a foreign car you park at the furthest part of the lot, backed in so the camera faces all traffic and not in a corner or near sidewalks. Very rich area, but see driving a foreign car as worse than being in ISIS or from Ohio.

Looks like I'm going to have to go back to driving my old LS that is covered with big three issued door dings, key scratches and outright kicks to the door panels. It also survived being backed straight into by a Dodge Ram when it was parked all alone in the lot while I bought some milk at a convenience store.

Guys yelled out to me that I didn't look muslim why was I driving their favorite car.

So here I am with a car that I cannot believe was targeted as it is so damn beautiful and now will have to sully its Carfax record if I want it fixed properly.

Getting your car keyed is worse than a collision in my opinion. It proves you or your car, is hated.

Old 08-24-15, 10:33 AM
lbmustache
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh no, I am sorry to hear that. No video cameras around buildings that may have caught the dbag(s)?
Old 08-24-15, 10:45 AM
PlatinumV8
Driver

The police see it as, you knew not to buy a foreign car and you did it anyway, learn from your mistake and buy something domestic, unless you want to keep fixing vandalism damage.

They said the same thing when I drove around past a gridlocked intersection and wrote me a ticket for avoiding a traffic control device. I said my little two seater would have been run over by the big trucks jamming up the intersection and could not see me. I almost got run over and used the shoulder to get out of harms way. "Here is your ticket, buy a bigger vehicle if you are scared in this one..."

I'm wondering if buying a Dodge Ram or H2 Hummer is the only way I'm going to be safe and vandalism free here.
Old 08-24-15, 12:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Truly sorry to hear what happened. You have my sympathies.

Those morons in Detroit that did this to your car (and we wonder why even the city's Mayors go to prison) can add sheer ignorance to their helping of moronism. Lexus DOES produce cars in North America, using American labor. There is a Lexus plant at Cambridge, Ontario, just a few miles across the border, and the 2016 ES350 is built at the Toyota Camry plant at Georgetown, KY.
Old 08-24-15, 12:58 PM
lbmustache
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PlatinumV8
The police see it as, you knew not to buy a foreign car and you did it anyway, learn from your mistake and buy something domestic, unless you want to keep fixing vandalism damage.

They said the same thing when I drove around past a gridlocked intersection and wrote me a ticket for avoiding a traffic control device. I said my little two seater would have been run over by the big trucks jamming up the intersection and could not see me. I almost got run over and used the shoulder to get out of harms way. "Here is your ticket, buy a bigger vehicle if you are scared in this one..."

I'm wondering if buying a Dodge Ram or H2 Hummer is the only way I'm going to be safe and vandalism free here.
All I have to say is... WOW. If the police aren't even willing to help you out... Time to buy a Cadillac?
Old 08-24-15, 02:01 PM
user420
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Didn't realize the hate factor was so strong in Michigan regarding the Lexus........
Old 08-24-15, 02:41 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PlatinumV8
I would have pointed out that owning a Lexus doesn't make you exempt from paying taxes and then let the cops guess where their pay checks are coming from? Lexus owners' tax money weren't exempt from bailing out GM either.
Old 08-24-15, 04:08 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

get a cadillac.

They're not bad now.

You can't fix idiocy.

and get two cameras, extra wide angle, but don't make them visible.
Actually, it wouldn't help anyway. The cops don't give a crap.
Old 08-24-15, 04:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

That really sucks, I know how much the mint condition meant to you. Definitely get it fixed right for your own enjoyment, I wouldn't worry about the Carfax since its so old. Carfax won't hurt the value very much at this point, certainly less than leaving it damaged.

Originally Posted by user420
Didn't realize the hate factor was so strong in Michigan regarding the Lexus........
I can only imagine. My Dad used to do business with a lot of labor unions, and for years he drove Lincolns and Cadillacs because he was afraid of what the fallout would be if they saw him pull up in a foreign car. Finally he went ahead and got an LS400 but we also had an Explorer at the time, and whenever he would be seeing them, playing golf, etc he would drive that. That wasn't even the UAW, mostly the UFCW...I can only imagine how it is in Detroit with all the UAW guys...
Old 08-24-15, 09:55 PM
MI350_55
Pole Position

Experienced the same type of vandalism on my wife's GS a couple years ago while shopping at Whole Foods (location has become a juvenile gang activity zone...). Just make sure you have good insurance and a reputable body shop that guarantee's their quality of repair. If imports are deeply hated in your area, consider a domestic beater to "fit in" with the crowd.
Old 08-24-15, 11:05 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I have to wonder if dirty cars get vandalized just as much.

I don't wash my car these days. It looks extra filthy
Old 08-25-15, 12:33 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wish I would catch some kid doing that even if its not my car. Grrr. Lack of respect for others or property make my blood boil. I'd make dents in my car with their head. A win win. They get to trash my car & I get to help them rehabilitate.I'd get it all out if their system. Front hood, trunk, fenders.... tire.
Old 08-25-15, 06:25 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

time to move to a house that has a garage .
Old 08-25-15, 10:57 PM
fastdak25
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 08-27-15, 04:10 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Hmm....over 20 years ago I had a new Dodge Spirit. (Laugh if you want but it was what I could afford a the time).

Even that lowly domestic car got keyed by a vandal at a library of all places.

There are idiots and mean people out there, and I really don't think you can do much about that.

As for getting it fixed, I would bring it to the dealership