Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Static-Review: 2016 Mazda Miata

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-15, 02:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
Yup. Is a corvette a sports convertible or a roadster?
My point exactly.

If you want a specific classification, I'd consider it a high-performance sports car, though, technically, convertible versions could be considered roadsters because of the two seats.
Old 08-22-15, 02:24 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts

I've never seen a review get so sidetracked. At least on CL. All reviews are based on the writer's opinion. Not everyone will agree with everything that the reviewer states. Why do some people get so offended, that they feel the need to keep repeating the same thing over and over? Do they think that after the tenth time, the reviewer will change their mind and agree with them?

I enjoyed the review, as it's a vehicle I was thinking about checking out. I'm 6'4", so things are looking bad for me actually fitting in it. Much like the Corvette, which really upset me when I found that out. Wait... I think I just compared a convertible Corvette with a Mazda Miata!
Old 08-22-15, 02:25 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 477 Likes on 299 Posts

The Miata is arguably in a class of one - lightweight, affordable roadster. Until it's joined by the Fiat 124 Spider there's not much else that compares.

Pretty much everything else that would otherwise compete is considerably heavier and/or in a very different price category.
Old 08-22-15, 02:30 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
I've never seen a review get so sidetracked. At least on CL. All reviews are based on the writer's opinion. Not everyone will agree with everything that the reviewer states. Why do some people get so offended, that they feel the need to keep repeating the same thing over and over? Do they think that after the tenth time, the reviewer will change their mind and agree with them?

I enjoyed the review, as it's a vehicle I was thinking about checking out. I'm 6'4", so things are looking bad for me actually fitting in it. Much like the Corvette, which really upset me when I found that out. Wait... I think I just compared a convertible Corvette with a Mazda Miata!
How can you dare to compare a Corvette to a Miata! They are SO different!

Just kidding. Good point on the derailment of the original post.
Old 08-22-15, 02:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks, Mike. Great post. You're right....some people like to argue just for the sake of arguing, but I'm used to it.

Yes, if you're 6' 4", a Corvette will probably have at least marginally more room inside. Corvettes are generally designed for the American market (and bigger, heavier Americans), where the Miata appeals more to a world audience and people of all sizes. But neither can be compared to the average sedan (even a compact sedan) when it comes to head/shoulder/knee room for taller people. And, for most guys well over 6' like you are, almost any low-slung sports car or roadster is going to be a stretch up or down getting in or out. At 6' 2" and a heavy frame, I had a lot of trouble shoehorning myself in and out of the first two Miata generations, a little less with the slightly-larger third, and a little less with the all-new fourth. But, once inside, the new one is still just as tight a fit for me, and difficult to get comfortable. In fact, once in, I was actually able to get a little more comfortable in the last 3Gen model.

(BTW, I don't mind someone correcting me at all, if I make a typo, spec-error, or post inaccurate data. I've been known to do so, more than once. Most of us are car enthusiasts, but occasionally slip up).

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-22-15 at 02:52 PM.
Old 08-22-15, 03:38 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
While setting aside "brand" name, most people would never consider a Mazda to be anywhere near the brand recognition of BMW.

Perhaps offering 85 more HP with a turbo for starters. Perhaps an optional I6. A more luxurious interior.

And Audi TT, MB SLK belong in the discussion with a Z4.
I have a hard time believing that a 155 HP Miata can hold a candle to a 335hp Z4
How is it compared to a MB SL AMG V12?
How about Mazda Miata vs a Mini roadster or Subi BRZ? That to me is the closest American competitors. I would believe Mazda themselves and accredited journalists have made that comarison.
Ahh the persistent one.

OP just wanted to point of a popular roadster that could be "reasonable" competitor. I'm not sure if you have no idea SL AMG doesn't compete with Miata or you just want to throw it out there even with knowledge of the fact.

Miata ND "true" competitors are the older Miata, at least until Fiat 124 is released.
Old 08-22-15, 07:45 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

I'm 6'4", so things are looking bad for me actually fitting in it.
i'm 6'3" and fit fine in the LAST gen miata, so unless you're really 'big' (not just tall), and i'm no twig, you'll fit in the new miata. is it like a limo? hardly. but you can drive it. heck, an old boss was 6'6 and he drove an NA miata - somehow!

Much like the Corvette, which really upset me when I found that out.
found what out? the corvette's got plenty of room. i drove a friend's c7 when it came out - awesome.
Old 08-22-15, 08:25 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
found what out? the corvette's got plenty of room. i drove a friend's c7 when it came out - awesome.
Really? With the seat all the way back, my knees are bent almost into the steering wheel. This was in both a C6 and a C7.
Old 08-22-15, 08:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i'm 6'3" and fit fine in the LAST gen miata, so unless you're really 'big' (not just tall),
That basically describes me, though I'm an inch shorter than you.

heck, an old boss was 6'6 and he drove an NA miata - somehow!
With the top down? LOL.

BTW, IMO here's one of the nicest Miata colors I've seen, but I don't think it ever was a factory-stock color.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-22-15 at 08:34 PM.
Old 08-23-15, 09:31 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

^ Yeah I went to Mazda's website, their color choice SUCKS. Almost makes you want to hold out for the 2017 and see if they will come out with any better colors.

They really need these colors IMO:

Bright red in addition to metallic red
Couple different shades of blue, light and darker one
Yellow
British Racing Green
Burnt orange
Old 08-23-15, 09:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
^ Yeah I went to Mazda's website, their color choice SUCKS. Almost makes you want to hold out for the 2017 and see if they will come out with any better colors.

Yellow
British Racing Green
Burnt orange
Agreed on the colors. It's also absurd that the entry-level Sport version has only four choices. Even the Grand Touring version only offers six.

This was, I thought, the best shade of blue they ever offered (Mariner Blue)....back on the 1Gen.

Old 08-23-15, 11:01 AM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3MhS_TzPbA

I'll just leave this here

But overall I've heard nothing but good things about the miata, I hope it sells well.
Old 08-23-15, 11:02 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000

Yellow
British Racing Green
Burnt orange
Did any of the past Miatas ever have those colours? If they didn't then, then I cannot see justification for them now.
Old 08-23-15, 11:38 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Did any of the past Miatas ever have those colours? If they didn't then, then I cannot see justification for them now.
Mazda offered all those colors in the past, in addition to some maroon and purple colors, and ugly gold and teal.
Old 08-23-15, 02:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rkyat

But overall I've heard nothing but good things about the miata, I hope it sells well.
It's about as pure a roadster (and roadster experience) as one can get today in the American market, although it s not the easiest car for large adults to get in and out of. As far as sales numbers go, in the past, it has become the world's best-selling roadster....and soon will also be available in a Fiat version, which technically should increase its sales even more.

Quick Reply: MM Static-Review: 2016 Mazda Miata