Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Static-Review: 2016 Mazda Miata

Old 08-22-15, 11:16 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,358 Posts

comments on some of the plusses/minuses:

> Simple, easy-to use web-site for reference.

the website?

> Loads of fun on a mild sunny day.

obvious with any convertible.

> Generally good underhood layout.

what would a 'generally bad' one be on a car this small?

> Excellent paint job.

how do you define 'excellent'? the paint on my '07 looked very nice but was rice paper thin and easily chipped.

> Cramped interior for larger adults.

it wouldn't be a miata if it were roomy for 'larger' adults

> No telescoping function for the steering wheel.

it's not possible to be that far away from the wheel so not an issue. ingeniously, the seat rises as it moves forward, to better accommodate shorter drivers.

> No interior glove box.

but there is a (lockable) storage compartment behind the seats.

> Manual hood prop-rod.

no one but you sees this as a con.

> Previous versions had poor wet/snow traction, even with electronic traction aids.

it's not a subaru outback.

> Manual-transmission models currently hard to find.

that's not a con of the car.
Old 08-22-15, 11:16 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No offense, people, but I did not start (or intend) for this thread to be a war between the Miata and Z4 as to what is applicable and what isn't. Like most of my reviews, I tried to accurately describe this vehicle as it is, from stem to stern, and what one is getting.
What's the issue? You said it and we are all discussing it.
Old 08-22-15, 11:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
How about Mazda Miata vs a Mini roadster or Subi BRZ? That to me is the closest American competitors. I would believe Mazda themselves and accredited journalists have made that comarison.
That doesn't mean it is an accurate comparison. In fact, IMO, for the most part, it is not. Mini roadsters are done on a completely different type of platform than Miatas.....FWD/AWD instead of RWD. Not only that, but Minis sit much higher off the ground than Miatas, with a substantially higher center of gravity.

The BR-Z and FR-S share the Miata's low stance and low center of gravity, but generally have more body/chassis rigidity because of the closed-coupe design. They are currently not available in the U.S. as convertibles, though there have been many requests for a roadster version.
Old 08-22-15, 11:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Thanks for the input, bit.....I figured you'd comment sooner or later. I'll answer them.

the website?
True that it's not the car's issue, but, with a couple of exceptions, since it is a generally clear and easy to use site, it does help make research on the car a little easier.

You may or may not not remember the Dodge 400 and Chrysler LeBaron convertibles....they shimmied, twisted, shook, rattled, and squeaked so bad that they completely spoiled the whole experience of fun in the sun. And the Mitsubishi Eclipse convertible I reviewed a few years ago, though better, wasn't all that much of an improvement. But, yes, MOST modern up-to-date convertibles give you the best of both worlds. The Mercedes SL convertible, for example, is arguably the most solidly-built droptop on the market, but look at what it costs.

One with a big plastic engine cover, tight engine fit, battery cover, and hidden components that make service and access a PITA.....and, yes, they exist, even in small vehicles.

Excellent paint job.

how do you define 'excellent'? the paint on my '07 looked very nice but was rice paper thin and easily chipped.
True...on a static review of a paint job, one can only judge what is actually seen with the eye and felt with one's finger. A paint job easily chipped usually doesn't make itself known in the showroom or on the lot....and I don't bang paint jobs with a hammer to see how easily they chip. But the paint job on the ones I saw were applied very smoothly, with almost no orange peel, and good gloss....almost to Lexus/Audi standards.

Cramped interior for larger adults.

it wouldn't be a Miata if it were roomy for 'larger' adults
By "larger" I mean larger than average, which, for American males, would be around 5' 10" or so. You and I are both substantially taller than that...and I'm pretty sure I'm wider and heavier than you are. You've stated before, though, on occasion, that you didn't have a problem with yours, and I have to take you at your word for it.

No telescoping function for the steering wheel.
It's not necessarily a deal breaker for some people, but might help make entry/exit a little easier. I myself find that, even with the tilt-only, it's a little easier for me to get in and out of this one than past models....especially the first two generations.

it's not possible to be that far away from the wheel so not an issue. ingeniously, the seat rises as it moves forward, to better accommodate shorter drivers.
That's not what i was referring to. As with any small roadster, the drop-top compartment behind the seats means that the seat cannot go all (or most of) the way back with rake-adjustment as well. In many cases, you either give up headroom or legroom.

No interior glove box.

Yes... I mentioned that in the review. But, like with my friend's old MR-2, I found it small and somewhat awkward to reach.....but then again, that's partly a function of my big, wide shoulders and long arms, which don't have much room to turn and adjust in an interior this small.

Manual hood prop-rod.

Not many in CL do, but many others I know off this forum do, although few today actually do their own underhood work.. With this new Miata, though, the thin aluminum hood itself is so light that it still takes little physical effort...the main trick is that the rod-end itself is a tight fit inside the hole on the underside of the hood.

Previous versions had poor wet/snow traction, even with electronic traction aids.

Tell me about it...I owned an Outback.

You and I (and some others here) may know that, but I've seen more than one person buy a front/engine/RWD sports-car or roadster and then get nowhere, even with some traction aids, when the road really gets slick.

Manual-transmission models currently hard to find.

True. I did not intend to infer otherwise. I listed it as MINUS, not concerning the car itself, but because where I live, it currently makes them harder to find in stock and could (?) affect dealer willingness to discount.

One thing that may help a little is when the Fiat Spyder models start getting released. They will provide an alternative for prospective buyers if or when when they face price-gouging at Mazda shops (for a car in high demand, I consider any markup more than factory-list plus taxes, tags, etc... to be "gouging"). What's interesting is that, at the Nissan/Mazda shop where I checked out these Miatas, a Fiat/Alfa shop was literally right across the street.....talk about potential competition.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-22-15 at 12:12 PM.
Old 08-22-15, 12:09 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

. In fact, IMO, for the most part, it is not. Mini roadsters are done on a completely different type of platform than Miatas.....FWD/AWD instead of RWD. Not only that, but Minis sit much higher off the ground than Miatas, with a substantially higher center of gravity.
I have seen you compare your FWD Buick Verano I4 torsion rear with a Lexus RWD/awd IS V6 that has an IRS. So accordingly to your past competitor recommendations, how could you argue that the Mini FWD Roadster and the Mazda Miata RWD are not competitors?
Old 08-22-15, 12:15 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

FWD/RWD/AWD, price, hp/torque are all but a means of eliminating competition by creating classes/categories similar to the Indian Caste/Class system. The real comparison should be merit based, and as fasr as roadsters are concerned, The real question is how does the given roadster fare as a roadster. Period. It is after that, how much is the customer willing to pay for it determines the price.
Old 08-22-15, 12:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I have seen you compare your FWD Buick Verano I4 torsion rear with a Lexus RWD/awd IS V6 that has an IRS.
Only as entry-level upmarket/premium vehicles in a very general sense. I never compared their chassis or drivetrain....they are two different types of sedans in the chassis department. And, since you don't trust my so-called "armchair" reviews, many professionals that actually get paid to review have commented quite favorably on how well, though not a sports-sedan, the Verano ride and handles on its Opel-designed suspension.

So accordingly to your past competitor recommendations, how could you argue that the Mini FWD Roadster and the Mazda Miata RWD are not competitors?
Well, simple common sense and grade-school education dictates that a platform with FWD/AWD and a higher center of gravity is usually going to have different steering/handling (and possibly braking) characteristics than a low-slung RWD. One does not have to be a physicist to figure that out.
Old 08-22-15, 12:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chikoo
FWD/RWD/AWD, price, hp/torque are all but a means of eliminating competition by creating classes/categories similar to the Indian Caste/Class system. The real comparison should be merit based, and as fasr as roadsters are concerned, The real question is how does the given roadster fare as a roadster. Period. It is after that, how much is the customer willing to pay for it determines the price.
I'll agree with some of that, but where do you draw the line between a 2-seat "convertible" and a "roadster"....or even between two roadsters?

Nissan, for example, did a convertible version of its (IMO) ungainly Murano SUV, and Suzuki did the X-90, which was a two-seat, semi open-top version of its Sidekick SUV. But one could hardly call them roadsters. By the standards of the Miata and upcoming Fiat Spyder, I'd also be hard-pressed to call the Mini ragtop a true roadster....IMO, it's more of a small convertible like the VW Cabrios.
Old 08-22-15, 12:30 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chikoo
It is after that, how much is the customer willing to pay for it determines the price.
Forget "willing", most people "can't" pay for a Z4 BMW.
Old 08-22-15, 12:40 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

the website?

> Excellent paint job.

> Cramped interior for larger adults.

it wouldn't be a miata if it were roomy for 'larger' adults

> No telescoping function for the steering wheel.

> No interior glove box.

> Manual hood prop-rod.

> Previous versions had poor wet/snow traction, even with electronic traction aids.

> Manual-transmission models currently hard to find.

Everything I have read has stated that the interior is a great design. The interior supposedly has been designed "around" the driver, so the lack of telescoping steering etc etc is not an issue. The glove box is hardly and issue as there is room behind the seats which is customary for a Roadster.
Old 08-22-15, 12:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Everything I have read has stated that the interior is a great design.
For its size, considering it is not meant to be a Chevy Suburban, yes, it is basically a good design.....especially in the control layout and hardware/trim quality. But good is not necessarily infallible or perfect. I've been reviewing cars for more than 40 years, and have yet to see a perfect vehicle inside or out. When I do, I promise you....I'll stop reviewing.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-22-15 at 12:51 PM.
Old 08-22-15, 01:07 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

For its size, considering it is not meant to be a Chevy Suburban, yes, it is basically a good design.....especially in the control layout and hardware/trim quality. But good is not necessarily infallible or perfect. I've been reviewing cars for more than 40 years, and have yet to see a perfect vehicle inside or out. When I do, I promise you....I'll stop reviewing.
I said "great" and not "good". Are you saying the interior is not " great" but just "good"?
Old 08-22-15, 01:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I said "great" and not "good". Are you saying the interior is not " great" but just "good"?
Good in some areas, great in others, lacking in others. I'm not going to repeat everything here in detail. If you want to know the specifics, go back and re-read the original INTERIOR section I wrote.
Old 08-22-15, 01:37 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Forget "willing", most people "can't" pay for a Z4 BMW.
Why can't they pay for a Z4? ???
Old 08-22-15, 01:40 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

I'll agree with some of that, but where do you draw the line between a 2-seat "convertible" and a "roadster"....or even between two roadsters?

Nissan, for example, did a convertible version of its (IMO) ungainly Murano SUV, and Suzuki did the X-90, which was a two-seat, semi open-top version of its Sidekick SUV. But one could hardly call them roadsters. By the standards of the Miata and upcoming Fiat Spyder, I'd also be hard-pressed to call the Mini ragtop a true roadster....IMO, it's more of a small convertible like the VW Cabrios.
Yup. Is a corvette a sports convertible or a roadster?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MM Static-Review: 2016 Mazda Miata