Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The 2016 Nissan lineup: Xterra Axed

Old 08-23-15, 05:43 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jwong77
Good grief, that thing is hideous!

Remember that is the TRD version. You have the option to go with the more conventional face.

Old 08-23-15, 08:26 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
Remember that is the TRD version. You have the option to go with the more conventional face.

Yeah I like the 4 Runner with the conventional front end, the predator bumper/face is a bit ridiculous.

As for the Xterra, I still maintain that it was a cheaply built pos. Being a body on frame truck doesn't give you the excuse of not updating it for 10 years, having self destructing transmissions, very cheap/cheesy interior, and those hideous grey plastic body panels that fade and look like hell after 3-4 years or so.
Old 08-23-15, 09:08 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
So Nissan goes from having 2 truck based mid-sized SUVs to none after converting the Pathfinder to a crossover. It was the right move to go crossover for the Pathfinder although in my opinion they didn't do a good job with it. I wish it was more in line with the Highlander's proportions. But they should've kept one body on frame mid-size SUV in the stable. The biggest automakers should.

The problem is that Nissan dragged the xTerra on way too long without a real redesign and naturally sales died. An all new model as good as a 4Runner would find plenty of sales. There is indeed room for truck based utes.
I totally agree. Nissan should keep some body on frame SUVs. But they didn't want to upgrade the platform and F-Alpha platform once supplied the QX56, Pathfinder, Suzuki Equader, Armada and Xterra. QX56 moved to a different platform and the Suzuki is gone as well as the change over to of the Pathfinder to unibody.

I personally liked the styling and the rough riding was refreshingly uncivilised as it was obvious that the XTerra was a real SUV.

What a lot of people do not realize is that the XTerra was the real deal, it was more of a FJ Cruiser for the the time/Jeep competitor. Where could you get a locking diff in the rear, serious off road approach/depart angles, meaty BF Goodrich tires, a heavy duty Dana rear, and best of all, a manual transmission.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-23-15 at 09:12 PM.
Old 08-23-15, 09:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I totally agree. Nissan should keep some body on frame SUVs. But they didn't want to upgrade the platform and F-Alpha platform once supplied the QX56, Pathfinder, Suzuki Equader, Armada and Xterra.
The Pathfinder, during its lifetime, actually went back and forth between BOF and unibody several times....more so than perhaps any other production SUV. As of the latest generation (2012 and later), it is a unibody.

I personally liked the styling and the rough riding was refreshingly uncivilised as it was obvious that the XTerra was a real SUV.
Well, if you actually enjoy being bounced around like you are riding on a rodeo steed, more power to you. Many of us don't.
Old 08-24-15, 12:40 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

There's still a market for the truck-based off-roaders, but the market has shifted much more to car-based crossovers. I can't blame Nissan for putting resources elsewhere. However, the Xterra could have easily continued on if the company gave it the attention it needed. Kind of a rough comparison to Lexus dragging on the original SC without a re-do all those years and Acura doing the same with the NSX. All these models had great appeal, but did not modernize and refresh enough to maintain people's attention. The standard company excuse for all that will be that the market has changed.

As far as that tacky 4Runner front styling, someone already posted a pic of the cleaner Limited version. I saw one of those trim levels in a parking lot the other day and considered it quite handsome. Also surprised to hear sales are up, as I rarely see any in L.A.
Old 08-24-15, 07:32 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
There's still a market for the truck-based off-roaders, but the market has shifted much more to car-based crossovers. A.
Yes that is very true. There is still a decent size market for body on frame SUVs.
Old 08-24-15, 08:52 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

For city slickers like yourself, I can see why the XTerra would not work.

But for someone who would use an XTerra for what it was designed and for what it's worth, the XTerra is a good buy. To many people comment based on a daily driver viewpoint.

The off-road credentials are sound. More mechanical than electronic, the XTerra would go far, far, far farther than even a current MY Toyota Land Cruiser. The XTerra is cheap to maintain and the leaf springs at the rear and cheap to modify.

Any SUV that offers a locking differential in the rear gets a thumbs up IMO.
The Xterra is axed for the same reason that the Toyota FJ was--not enough demand, which translates to no market. Either may be a good buy, and a solid vehicle, and capable off road. But there's a cost/benefit to continuing to sell them to shrinking markets. If there was enough of a market, or, "demand", Nissan would continue to sell it.
Yes that is very true. There is still a decent size market for body on frame SUVs.
Maybe--but not enough to support continued Xterra sales. Or else Nissan would keep selling it.
Old 08-24-15, 02:22 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Nissan probably scratched Xterra when they found out they can't fit CVT in it like rest of their lineup LOL
Old 08-24-15, 02:37 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
Nissan probably scratched Xterra when they found out they can't fit CVT in it like rest of their lineup LOL
Why would they not be able to fit in a CVT?
Old 08-24-15, 04:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Why would they not be able to fit in a CVT?

Most, if not all, of the Nissan/Infiniti uses of the CVT have been in vehicles with a transverse-engine and FWD/AWD layouts. The Xterra, like the Frontier pickup, uses a RWD/4WD layout with longitudinal engine layout.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-24-15 at 04:32 PM.
Old 08-24-15, 04:35 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Most, if not all, of the Nissan/Infiniti uses of the CVT have been in vehicles with a transverse-engine and FWD/AWD layouts. .
Which is irrelevant, Nissan would just make a CVT for RWD/4WD configurations.
Old 08-24-15, 04:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Which is irrelevant, Nissan would just make a CVT for RWD/4WD configurations.
No, it's not necessarily irrelevant. One cannot redesign a transmission simply by snapping one's fingers. While CVTs are not as complex as traditional multi-speed torque-converters or dual-clutch transmissions, it still takes time and money to do major revisions. And, if a profitable market is no longer there for the Xterra with other transmissions, it's not likely to be there for a CVT-equipped Xterra, either.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-24-15 at 05:00 PM.
Old 08-24-15, 04:47 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No, it's not necessarily irrelevant. One cannot redesign a transmission simply by snapping one's fingers. While CVTs are not as complex as traditional multi-speed torque-converters or dual-clutch transmissions, it still takes time and money to do major revisions. And, if the market is no long there for the Xterra with other transmissions, it's not likely to be there with a CVT, either.
Which is irrelevant. It can be done. Nissan does have a RWD CTV design. ( not sure if yet used).
Old 08-24-15, 06:42 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I wonder how a CVT would hold up in a truck, where its constantly abused with heavy loads, towing, off roading(aka spinning tires in the mud, rocking a stuck truck back and forth between reverse and forward). I'm betting that's the reason why Nissan hasn't stuck them in their trucks.
Old 08-24-15, 07:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I wonder how a CVT would hold up in a truck, where its constantly abused with heavy loads, towing, off roading(aka spinning tires in the mud, rocking a stuck truck back and forth between reverse and forward). I'm betting that's the reason why Nissan hasn't stuck them in their trucks.
Yes.....that's probably why Nissan has not used it in truck-type vehicles. Most CVTs can't take a lot of punishment.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The 2016 Nissan lineup: Xterra Axed