Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Dealership Abuses My Car (Dashcam footage)

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-15, 01:08 PM
Road Race Motorsports
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
you can easily explain justification for a dashcam.

But like me, you're in a 2-party consent state for recorded conversations, so yeah, it's illegal to record that and use against them. But what if it wasn't a conversation? Cut out all the talking bits, and I'd think that's legal.

It's always good to record regardless

oh, and if you really want to screw them and get higher SEO, write the whole story in the youtube video description.
Change the video title to name the dealership.

That way any time someone searches the dealership, the youtube video will pop up on google..
You could always just post a notice of recording in the car. It just needs to be visible for any driver or passenger to see. That way you can record audio in your car and anyone inside can do nothing about it. If they were to turn off the camera it would be suspect.
Old 08-20-15, 01:50 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

the only good part of this video is he slowed down for the speed bumps.best of luck in what ever level you take this too.
Old 08-22-15, 11:30 AM
USB3IS
Driver School Candidate

What kinda cam are you using?
Old 08-23-15, 10:28 AM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by USB3IS
What kinda cam are you using?
I want to know the same thing.

If you truly only brought it in for the window issue and they were just joy riding it then you definitely deserve some compensation. They should give you a free oil change, and a full car detailing. They should be embarrassed, and make it right.
Old 08-23-15, 11:59 PM
Derek563
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Biddles
I want to know the same thing.

If you truly only brought it in for the window issue and they were just joy riding it then you definitely deserve some compensation. They should give you a free oil change, and a full car detailing. They should be embarrassed, and make it right.
The camera is a Mio 358 with a 32gb card in it. It was about $130. Any camera thats 1080p or better will be good enough.
Old 08-24-15, 10:46 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Curious how it's illegal to use as evidence if you didn't have their consent. Sounds like something politicians made up to cover their ***es so they can't be incriminated. You have clear evidence they misused your property. It might've all been harmless fun, but in the end it is not theirs, and they have no right to do that without your permission. Why do you need their permission to record them but they don't need your permission to do what they did?

I agree with what the others said, blast the hell out of that dealership on media, that is their worst nightmare.
Old 08-24-15, 12:22 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

I would call this dealer's general manager and make it very clear that the reason cars get brought to an official dealerships, including his, is because they are supposed to employ adults who are expected to behave as ones. If someone wants his car serviced by monkeys who can't control themselves I bet he can find a place which will do the same job for 1/3rd the price.

Get GM a chance to make it right and if you are not satisfied then go public everywhere so people will know to avoid them. Maybe they just made a hiring mistake -- could happen to anyone.
Old 08-24-15, 12:28 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
you can easily explain justification for a dashcam.

But like me, you're in a 2-party consent state for recorded conversations, so yeah, it's illegal to record that and use against them. But what if it wasn't a conversation? Cut out all the talking bits, and I'd think that's legal.

It's always good to record regardless

oh, and if you really want to screw them and get higher SEO, write the whole story in the youtube video description.
Change the video title to name the dealership.

That way any time someone searches the dealership, the youtube video will pop up on google..
YUP !! You can trash them that way. Especially if the manager "scolded " you for taping these *******s. I hate dealerships.
Old 08-24-15, 12:32 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jewcano
Curious how it's illegal to use as evidence if you didn't have their consent. Sounds like something politicians made up to cover their ***es so they can't be incriminated.
It also stops the cops from busting into someone's house just because they have a feeling that someone is a drug dealer and forces them to obtain a warrant (read gather factual evidence).
Old 08-24-15, 11:55 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadro
It also stops the cops from busting into someone's house just because they have a feeling that someone is a drug dealer and forces them to obtain a warrant (read gather factual evidence).
Apples and oranges. Doesn't stop them from sitting in dark spots on the side of the road to catch speeders.

As well, the fact you have to warn those jackasses makes it all the worse. It shows the types of employees that dealership has, and the manager is not supposed to backup poor behavior. They should be scolded at the least, now they'll probably just keep eyes out for dashcams before doing anything stupid.
Old 09-03-15, 09:34 PM
Justind27
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

F the police! Oh wait wrong way here, screw the law of consent in this case. It is your property and they are neglecting it without your consent let alone they are likely breaking the law (wreck less driving) who's to say you just drive around with it, what if someone stole your vehicle are you going to have it say hi your on camera A-hole! No it won't, I'd bring this to athorities and to the Toyota corporate office's attention..
I can't confirm that my Lexus service advisor didn't drive my car when I had the recalls done and a trans service but if he did I wouldn't mind. He drives a F and we go back a bit so I know he's not up to no good.