Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 Lexus GS Facelift

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-15, 09:17 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Have they released photos of the F-sport or Hybrid models yet?

So like Lexus to release photos of the lowest end model first, the Germans wouldn't show anything but the highest end version of their cars in their PR photos. Marketing fail.
Well Lexus did debut the GS-F with the triple-L LEDs first. Still those were some of the worst shots they could've picked for the first PR photos in both the GS-F and the regular GS debut events.
Old 08-25-15, 12:46 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by jadu
I was thinking the same thing. Twin turbos add to the weight and I also thought about the block and wondered if Lexus went back to the good ol iron block, which definitely packs in the pounds. Has anyone found any info on the new 2.0L block? I couldn't find any info
Doesn't make sense since the IS200t is 3583lbs, while the IS350 is 3593lbs...something's not right here!
Old 08-25-15, 11:17 PM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The front reminds me of these lil bad boys.

Old 08-26-15, 03:45 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Have they released photos of the F-sport or Hybrid models yet?

So like Lexus to release photos of the lowest end model first, the Germans wouldn't show anything but the highest end version of their cars in their PR photos. Marketing fail.
They tend to make a debut before marketing material is even ready, I think every facelift was like that so far.

BMW F10 is really has the best executive looks no doubt, they nailed it like they did with E39 back in the day while every E-class ended up as a disaster when it aged. Just remember when the first quad headlight showed up, it made an impact because it was a new design language for MB but that car is a disaster now while E39 is still handsome. I don't want to comment current E at all, facelift made it better but still its like a Korean design much like every MB from previous gen except CL, S and SL. Current Genesis is miles ahead of E-class as well.
Old 08-26-15, 12:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
They tend to make a debut before marketing material is even ready, I think every facelift was like that so far.

BMW F10 is really has the best executive looks no doubt, they nailed it like they did with E39 back in the day while every E-class ended up as a disaster when it aged. Just remember when the first quad headlight showed up, it made an impact because it was a new design language for MB but that car is a disaster now while E39 is still handsome. I don't want to comment current E at all, facelift made it better but still its like a Korean design much like every MB from previous gen except CL, S and SL. Current Genesis is miles ahead of E-class as well.
really? i always think the w211 is pretty good looking. and that's not the first quad, their first quad was the w210
Old 08-26-15, 01:26 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi

looks are very subjective... now F10 looks like old Camry of its class... it has very safe and very boring design. MB is likely going to knock it out of part if they take after C and S classes.
Old 08-27-15, 03:41 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
looks are very subjective... now F10 looks like old Camry of its class... it has very safe and very boring design. MB is likely going to knock it out of part if they take after C and S classes.
Very boring
I guess maybe when you compare the front grill.
Here is mine

Old 08-27-15, 07:52 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Nothing boring about your F10!
Old 08-27-15, 09:43 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by cino
That's not what I'm saying. I just wanted point out that 2.0L turbo in GLA/CLA 45 AMG is still worthy of the AMG name because of its performance. That engine is probably one of the best performing 2.0L turbo ever mated with an awesome dual clutch tranny. I test drove it when I bought my GLA250.
Sorry, but MB and BMW are kind of prostituting their M and AMG badges. BMW slaps the M badge on non M cars, even some diesels, and AMG badge certainly doesn't belong on a boy racer fwd 4 banger. It just makes these M and AMG cars less special and cheapens their image.
Old 08-28-15, 04:41 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Sorry, but MB and BMW are kind of prostituting their M and AMG badges. BMW slaps the M badge on non M cars, even some diesels, and AMG badge certainly doesn't belong on a boy racer fwd 4 banger. It just makes these M and AMG cars less special and cheapens their image.
The CLA45 AMG is AWD, and the AMG name has never stood exclusively for V8's. AMG's calling card is big power and they've stayed true to that. They never made proclamations of "never" doing certain things like turbo-ing their cars like BMW M.
Old 08-28-15, 05:12 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Very boring
I guess maybe when you compare the front grill.
Here is mine

bland profile, same front design as every other BMW and pretty bad rear design... yes, F10 is boring vehicle when we are talking about it at the end of 2015.

I see same amounts of E class, A6 and 5 series (and a lot of all of them every day), and 5 series easily has the most vanilla design of them all... A6 manages to look way more interesting, and E class while being old design, doesnt look like anything else.

5 series is literally the Camry of European executive sedans.
Old 08-28-15, 05:24 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
bland profile, same front design as every other BMW and pretty bad rear design... yes, F10 is boring vehicle when we are talking about it at the end of 2015.

I see same amounts of E class, A6 and 5 series (and a lot of all of them every day), and 5 series easily has the most vanilla design of them all... A6 manages to look way more interesting, and E class while being old design, doesnt look like anything else.

5 series is literally the Camry of European executive sedans.
Can't disagree more. I love the design of the F10 and think it still looks great today.
Old 08-28-15, 06:10 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
The CLA45 AMG is AWD,
It's a FWD based AWD, which comes with all the beauties of FWD - such as sideways mounted engine, horrible weight distribution, ugly front overhang, pronounced understeer and torque steer.

Originally Posted by TangoRed
and the AMG name has never stood exclusively for V8's. AMG's calling card is big power and they've stayed true to that. They never made proclamations of "never" doing certain things like turbo-ing their cars like BMW M.
A cheap fwd four banger like the CLA should not even be a part of premium manufacturer's line up, and slapping AMG badge on an overclocked version of this car is just lame. AMG cars need to be special - if I wanted a 4 banger POS with a huge turbo I'd get a Mitsu or something.
Old 08-28-15, 08:21 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Och
It's a FWD based AWD, which comes with all the beauties of FWD - such as sideways mounted engine, horrible weight distribution, ugly front overhang, pronounced understeer and torque steer.
That still doesn't make it FWD and it actually doesn't suffer from distracting amounts of torque steer. As C&D pointed out in their Lightning Lap, its predictable and understeers plenty but its certainly effective. This was in a track environment to boot. http://www.caranddriver.com/features...p-2014-feature

Originally Posted by Och
A cheap fwd four banger like the CLA should not even be a part of premium manufacturer's line up, and slapping AMG badge on an overclocked version of this car is just lame. AMG cars need to be special - if I wanted a 4 banger POS with a huge turbo I'd get a Mitsu or something.
Mercedes' bottom line says otherwise. With the CLA45 AMG starting at $48k and quickly escalating from there its not like this easily attainable for the average person anyways. Quite frankly, the fact that they were able to get this much power out of this motor makes it special in itself. Don't forget its receiving a power bump next year.

I fully respect the lower end efforts Audi/BMW/MB having been putting out. Mercedes needs to improve the quality of the basic CLA250 though.

Last edited by TangoRed; 08-28-15 at 08:27 AM.
Old 08-28-15, 08:44 AM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

The more I look at the current model the more I can see why Lexus is making the change to their current grille. IMO the current grille needs to be a bit wider and full grille looks better. RC F's. looks better for this very same reason IMO.

Quick Reply: 2016 Lexus GS Facelift