Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 Lexus LX

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-15, 08:41 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadro
Escalade is a part-time 4WD vs LX full-time 4WD. While the utility of full-time 4WD will depend on where you live and how you use your vehicle, personally I found full-time 4WD to be worth it to sacrifice couple MPGs.
Saying the Escalade uses a part-time system isn't entirely accurate. It has a auto-4WD mode that imperceptibly feeds power to the front wheels as needed.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The Escadle looks good on paper but real world it is not likely going to be much better than 15-16 MPG combined. The hwy MPG are kind of artificial.
The Escalade will hit its highway numbers all day long...on the highway. But yeah the combined mpg is definitely down in the 14-16mpg range.
Old 08-24-15, 09:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
Actually the move to smaller engines on high-end cars has a lot more to do with competing in markets that tax heavily on vehicles with large displacements and/or high CO2 emissions and to accommodate people who don't care about power at all and would rather pay a smaller price for the same level of luxury.
Then why sell the cars here? If people don't care about economy at all at these price points why bother? They aren't discounting the prices of these cars because they don't have V8 power.

The answer is people do care about efficiency. I'm a consumer of these vehicles, and I'm surrounded by them. People do in fact care.
Old 08-24-15, 09:33 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i would venture to say more people tries to pose to have the best (by having the cheapest possible config) than getting the smaller engines to save on few bucks on gas. i see plenty of poseurs around trying to claim they can afford flagships.

i guess in a way you can say most people care about fuel economy. if today gas goes up to 15 bucks a gallon i am sure a lot of lx owners would dump their cars. but relatively speaking among owners of different cars at a certain point in time, i have to say spending 100k on a car and i wouldn't worry too much more about few hundred bucks "extra" on gas ever year
Old 08-24-15, 09:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I know plenty of people who aren't pretending to be able to afford flagships, let's just put it that way.

I'm not saying it's the most important thing, but to say that people who have significant means don't care about value and don't care about efficiency at all isn't accurate. Fuel economy absolutely could drive someone to say an escalade over an LX.
Old 08-24-15, 10:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

yes SW15LS, some luxury vehicle buyers/owners 'care' a lot about fuel economy, but frankly it's just irrational because if they cared that much they'd just get a vehicle with better fuel economy. it's all just a rationalization...

i'm 'glad' my jeep grand cherokee gets 22mpg vs. the 17mpg that my explorer before got. and i'll admit that yes, it was a factor (not the only one) in me not springing for the v8 (the other factor being i simply didn't need or want the extra power or the added purchase cost), so yes it matters and yes i 'care' to some extent. but if the jeep did get 17mpg also but had some other feature i really wanted, then the lower economy wouldn't have mattered (enough) to me. turned out there wasn't so for me at least the additional fuel economy was a small but nice benefit.

coincidentally, the jeep grand cherokee has the same size fuel tank as the lx570

but at 22mpg, i guess i have a range in the neighborhood of 541 miles!
Old 08-24-15, 10:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i'm 'glad' my jeep grand cherokee gets 22mpg vs. the 17mpg that my explorer before got. and i'll admit that yes, it was a factor (not the only one) in me not springing for the v8 (the other factor being i simply didn't need or want the extra power or the added purchase cost), so yes it matters and yes i 'care' to some extent. but if the jeep did get 17mpg also but had some other feature i really wanted, then the lower economy wouldn't have mattered (enough) to me. turned out there wasn't so for me at least the additional fuel economy was a small but nice benefit.

coincidentally, the jeep grand cherokee has the same size fuel tank as the lx570

but at 22mpg, i guess i have a range in the neighborhood of 541 miles!
that's exactly my point. If the V8 had the same economy, you'd have the V8. Economy does matter to you...

As for purchase cost, Jeep Rebates the cost of the V8 away all the time in a power credit. People still don't buy it...because of the fuel economy.

The Jeep does have good range.
Old 08-25-15, 09:53 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Saying the Escalade uses a part-time system isn't entirely accurate. It has a auto-4WD mode that imperceptibly feeds power to the front wheels as needed
On-demand 4WD is still a part-time system. Not sure what's not accurate about it.
Old 08-25-15, 10:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Personally I would prefer it revert to 100% rear drive until slippage is detected or I direct it to do otherwise.
Old 08-25-15, 10:42 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Personally I would prefer it revert to 100% rear drive until slippage is detected or I direct it to do otherwise.
Why would you want that? To save MPG on a $100k luxu SUV?
Old 08-25-15, 10:56 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I prefer the way a vehicle drives in RWD vs AWD. It also allows it to be more efficient, less drag on the drivetrain, better throttle response, etc.

Again...just because someone buys a $100,000 SUV does not mean they don't care about efficiency.
Old 08-25-15, 12:44 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

just hypothetically i did some math this morning

assume 12k miles a year and say between 17mpg and 20mpg (i wouldn't imagine much more coming from this heavy car). that's 706 gallons vs 600 gallons, so 106 gallons difference. CA has some of the most expensive gas price in the nation now, $4 a gallon on premium? so that's around 400 bucks extra per year.

that vs 100k, which is about 0.4%. just to put it in perspective. i am sure no one would go and hope the car gets even worse gas mileage, but i just find it a bit hard to believe if someone wants the LX but say no because he/she has to pay 400 bucks more every year on gas compared to what he/she'd hoped for. again i am not saying they don't care, but probably not caring enough to break the deal
Old 08-25-15, 01:13 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I prefer the way a vehicle drives in RWD vs AWD. It also allows it to be more efficient, less drag on the drivetrain, better throttle response, etc.

Again...just because someone buys a $100,000 SUV does not mean they don't care about efficiency.
that is pointless on SUV like this... LX will never have on-demand system, it is mostly sold in middle east and asia where people actually need AWD.

Now on RX and Rav4, sure.
Old 08-25-15, 01:36 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadro
On-demand 4WD is still a part-time system. Not sure what's not accurate about it.
Because traditionally part-time 4wd (like on a Jeep Wrangler) locks the axles together and forces power to be distributed equally, which is why you're not supposed to use it on dry roads. That's not the case with the Auto 4WD on the Escalade. It can vary power distribution as needed.
Old 08-25-15, 06:03 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Because traditionally part-time 4wd (like on a Jeep Wrangler) locks the axles together and forces power to be distributed equally, which is why you're not supposed to use it on dry roads. That's not the case with the Auto 4WD on the Escalade. It can vary power distribution as needed.
"As needed" 4WD systems suck because they only react to a slippage, which in most cases would not have occurred if the vehicle had full-time AWD traction in the first place.

Last edited by ydooby; 08-25-15 at 06:36 PM.
Old 08-25-15, 06:23 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
"As needed" 4WD systems suck because they only react to a slippage, which in most cases would not have occurred if the vehicle had full-time AWD traction in the first place.
Careful with the words suck, I would not say suck. Some people do not want full time four wheel drive, the part time system does have its strengths and weakness. But overall, for maximum effect you want full time 4WD, but the LX and LC now have electronic transfer cases for the lo range which is not ideal for super maximum off road reliability. The 80 and 100 series models had a mechanical lever that was directly connected to the transfer case.

FWIW, the 4Runner can be had with the mechanical shifter which is ideal.

Quick Reply: 2016 Lexus LX