Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Bigger parking spaces for women in Germany called sexist

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-15, 10:07 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Bigger parking spaces for women in Germany called sexist

I think it's a good idea.

The debate over Germany’s ‘sexist’ women-only parking spaces

Many people know that driving in Germany can be quite different from the U.S.: There is no general speed limit on most motorways, for example.

Perhaps more astonishing, however, is another distinctive feature: Many German parking lots are equipped with special spaces for women. In some regions of Germany, law forces parking lot owners to designate at least 30 percent of their space specifically for women.

Those parking lots are bigger than usual, which is supposed to make it easier for women to maneuver their cars. Some Germans like the idea, but others call it a sexist way of implying that women are worse drivers than men.

So, are parking spaces for women sexist?

Yes, but actually it's discrimination against men, German tabloid newspaper Bild suggested in a recent article. "Are men really not allowed to park here?" asked the paper, which until recently featured a naked woman on its front page and is Germany's best-selling publication.

Bild's agitation is as a contortion of facts, according to the paper's critics: If someone should feel offended by designated women's parking spaces, it should be women.

Women's-only car parks exist in quite a lot of other nations, including Austria, Switzerland, and China. In northern China, a shopping mall inaugurated parking spaces last year that were about one foot wider than normal ones, and painted in pink. According to news agency AFP, a spokesperson for the shopping mall defended the decision back then, saying: "The fact that our women's parking spaces are wider is simply due to practical reasons and shouldn't imply that women are worse at driving than men."

In Germany, a similar debate has been going on for more than 20 years, but there seems to be no conclusion in sight. Last week, German news site The Local picked up the controversy, for instance, and asked its readers: "'Women-only' parking: sensible or Sexist?"

German first began using women's-only car parks in a bid to protect women from potential attacks. In the 1990s, an increasing number of women expressed their anxiety about using unlightened parking lots due to the possibility of sexual assault. Many cities established special women's parking spaces that were well lit and located closer to lively streets or buildings.

More recent police data suggests that the risks posed by dark German parking lots were exaggerated -- nevertheless, women's parking spaces are so deeply ingrained that few would dare to remove them.

"Today, nobody needs women's parking lots anymore -- especially not in the modern, lucid and well-lit shopping malls," reporter Werner Mathes argued in an op-ed for German weekly Stern. "In some Swiss cities, such as Zurich or Luzern, one has gotten rid of those spaces years ago, because parking lots are much brighter and better lit than in the past."

It's not obligatory for women to use those spaces, and supporters refer to the fact that there are also designated men's parking lots. However, those 'male' spaces are especially tiny and difficult to use -- which could be perceived as sexist, as well, some argue.

Since then, however, the original intention seems to have gotten lost. According to news site The Local, the mayor of a small town in southern Germany justified the creation of men's parking spaces in the following way: "We found that two places were not rectangular, at an angle to the road and placed between walls and pillars," he told German magazine Der Spiegel in a translation by The Local. "This makes parking difficult so we decided to allocate them to men."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...arking-spaces/
Old 08-12-15, 11:54 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I can understand Family parking spaces, but there is no need for designated single person spaces (whether it's for female, "green vehicle", or otherwise).

Now, let's offer a few more motorcycle parking spots rather than me having to take up a whole car space, and parking wouldn't be such a big headache...

Old 08-12-15, 01:17 PM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can imagine that the Germans would dream up something like that, because there are very few things they haven't thought about to prevent something untowards happening. Sort of make it boring if you come from a place like Africa. Won't help them Germans much anyway with all the new (illegal) immigrants drifting in with every train from France.

Oh yes, trust Der Spiegel to contort everything, they're far worse than anything the Reds published before 1933 in Germany.
Old 08-12-15, 01:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Sounds to me, then, like some of the guys who have a hard time parking their cars in the regular spaces might get a wig and falsies LOL.

On a more serious note, I wonder how the female-only spaces are actually enforced. Unless there is a whole army of parking-lot police in each lot constantly watching who is getting in or out of each vehicle, or security cameras widespread and accurate enough to catch each car and/or its license plate.
Old 08-12-15, 02:52 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,697 Likes on 2,283 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Sounds to me, then, like some of the guys who have a hard time parking their cars in the regular spaces might get a wig and falsies LOL.
Don't need to do that, what are they going to do strip you down to make sure you are indeed a man? Either way this is blatant sexism.
Old 08-12-15, 03:29 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Is it sexist or chivalrous?

You barely see men nowadays give up a seat for a lady. Even pregnant ladies sometimes are left to stay standing in the subways.

Maybe this is an indirect way of being chivalrous? Is chivalry really dead?
Old 08-12-15, 03:34 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Don't need to do that, what are they going to do strip you down to make sure you are indeed a man? Either way this is blatant sexism.
Might be easier just to look for an Adam's apple
Old 08-12-15, 05:44 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,697 Likes on 2,283 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT

You barely see men nowadays give up a seat for a lady. Even pregnant ladies sometimes are left to stay standing in the subways.

Good. Feminists scream and whine about equality well there you go, equality.
Old 08-13-15, 12:12 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Fine, how about giving smaller spaces to women since they're bishing about bigger spaces...

and in China, they need to give EVERYONE extra wide spaces. Those people don't know how to drive.
Old 08-13-15, 02:53 AM
fastdak25
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT

Chivalry? You mean sexism? that's how all these radical feminists act now. Haven't you heard the latest? Cold air in office buildings is now sexist.

edit: in case anyone thought this video was an elaborate troll http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/wom...rue-story.html

Last edited by fastdak25; 08-13-15 at 03:12 AM.
Old 08-13-15, 09:30 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

THis is much better

Originally Posted by fastdak25
Chivalry? You mean sexism? that's how all these radical feminists act now. Haven't you heard the latest? Cold air in office buildings is now sexist.
WTH??? There always things to complain about
Old 08-13-15, 09:50 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Cold air in office buildings is now sexist.
I have given my staff the option of wearing sweaters with A/C, or me walking pantless without A/C.

The A/C is on. My staff wears sweaters. I occassionally wear shorts to work...
Old 08-13-15, 09:54 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Why Office Air Conditioning Is Sexist - YouTube

edit: in case anyone thought this video was an elaborate troll http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/wom...rue-story.html
Is it really that difficult to believe that women need the temperature colder than men as a result of biological difference and maybe differences in attire, too?

I'm not sure what a good solution is, but I don't think it's unreasonable to say that an AC temperature can generally affect one gender differently from another.

... What's ironic, though, is that with girls I've dated, I've always wanted the AC at a higher temperature than them, partly because I'm cheap, and partly because... shizz just gets cold really fast.

Last edited by RocketGuy3; 08-13-15 at 09:58 AM.
Old 08-13-15, 09:57 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall

On a more serious note, I wonder how the female-only spaces are actually enforced. Unless there is a whole army of parking-lot police in each lot constantly watching who is getting in or out of each vehicle, or security cameras widespread and accurate enough to catch each car and/or its license plate.
They take the word "law-abiding" to new levels. One keep on wondering there if a cop doesn't die of boredom - but apparently they pass the time of day eye-balling their share of boat people.
Old 08-13-15, 12:07 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

this is a little nuts if you ask me. Chivalry is dead, and women killed it . Parking for women is sexist .

Quick Reply: Bigger parking spaces for women in Germany called sexist