Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai HCD-16 Vision G Coupe Concept

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-15, 08:35 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricknee
Have any factual evidence to back that up?
Originally Posted by TangoRed
Right...
I'm sure you can't see Bentley roofline (as someone pointed out), A5 C-pillar and Mazda front brake inlet.

Front fender vent is straight off Infiniti/Nissan.

We can argue everyone steals from each other, but this is too noticeable. To each of his own.
Old 08-13-15, 12:15 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I see bentley, bmw, audi, cadillac, chrysler crossfire, all packed into one car.

It looks like a mess.

When I say Crossfire, I mean the cabin is pushed way back and it has no butt.

Still a LONG way to go before they can nail the presence of a merc S coupe....

Last edited by pman6; 08-13-15 at 12:39 AM.
Old 08-13-15, 01:08 AM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by pman6
I see bentley, bmw, audi, cadillac, chrysler crossfire, all packed into one car.

It looks like a mess.

Still a LONG way to go before they can nail the presence of a merc S coupe....

Well the Bentley designer did leave to go work for Hyundai
Old 08-13-15, 04:55 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by cino
I'm sure you can't see Bentley roofline (as someone pointed out), A5 C-pillar and Mazda front brake inlet.
Thanks for the laugh. The Hyundai's roofline takes a very noticeable bend downwards after the rear seats that is totally absent on the Bentley. Not even going to start with your Mazda comment. To each their own as you say I guess.

Old 08-13-15, 08:24 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the laugh. The Hyundai's roofline takes a very noticeable bend downwards after the rear seats that is totally absent on the Bentley. Not even going to start with your Mazda comment. To each their own as you say I guess.

Edit: Ok fine, Audi C pillar and Audi roofline. I was implying how it slopes down leaving the trunk so small. But Audi concept greatly illustrates how similar it is to this blah blah blah Hyudia concept.

Actually, joke is on you. You don't even bother saying why it's different. I would like to hear your perspective on everything I said, Trust me, I don't make a joke out of everything.

Last edited by cino; 08-13-15 at 08:30 AM.
Old 08-13-15, 09:25 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Not too bad except for that no-butt look.

Originally Posted by pman6

That's the perfect description.
Old 08-13-15, 09:45 AM
LoveCT
Driver

I'm not seeing any "copying," just baseless claims. You even claim the Bentley roofline, when it was already pointed out that it doesn't look anything alike. Same for that Audi concept, which looks like it "copied" the roofline of a 5th generation Camaro. They are all going to have a somewhat similar shape simply due to making the car aerodynamic and structurally sound, but you have yet to show any real evidence of your so-called "copying."

We could spend days putting photos of cars side-by-side and point out where a certain cue came from, but you'd have to go back years and years until you found which company designed the thing first. That infiniti and BMW were not the first cars to ever sport a fender vent, so they obviously "copied" someone else. Yet here you are using them as a reference. Ironic, no?
So stop complaining about how the car is copied or how we need to "bother saying why it's different." The whole car is different and has cues inspired from other cars, just like almost every car on the market. If you don't have anything else positive to put forth, don't post here. We don't need the stereotypical Hyundai hater in here.
Well said. I have a lot of respect for Peter Schreyer's designs whether at Audi or at Hyundai/Kia. And now the lead designer at Hyundai as a Bentley veteran will take it even further. Regarding asymmetric front and back pillars? I know what the naysayer experts at this forum would have said if they were symmetric, and look more copied to something else. This car is a head turner, and the interior look is astounding. By the way, Lexus doesn't copy from anyone else.

As all forum members participants have their creative hat on, I would like you to envision an upscale Lexus model that looked similar to this and replace the tiger nose with the predator grill. Front overhang, Nike swoosh and all. Hmm. That would be a yuck for me.
Old 08-13-15, 09:48 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

I'm not seeing any "copying," just baseless claims. You even claim the Bentley roofline, when it was already pointed out that it doesn't look anything alike. Same for that Audi concept, which looks like it "copied" the roofline of a 5th generation Camaro. They are all going to have a somewhat similar shape simply due to making the car aerodynamic and structurally sound, but you have yet to show any real evidence of your so-called "copying."

We could spend days putting photos of cars side-by-side and point out where a certain cue came from, but you'd have to go back years and years until you found which company designed the thing first. That infiniti and BMW were not the first cars to ever sport a fender vent, so they obviously "copied" someone else. Yet here you are using them as a reference. Ironic, no?
So stop complaining about how the car is copied or how we need to "bother saying why it's different." The whole car is different and has cues inspired from other cars, just like almost every car on the market. If you don't have anything else positive to put forth, don't post here. We don't need the stereotypical Hyundai hater in here.
Great post.
Old 08-13-15, 09:54 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 584 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
I think this is a car that will be an addition to the line up slotting above the Equus.

This is not an evolution of the current Genesis coupe.

It is a lower priced Bentley Continental like the Genesis sedan is a lower priced 5 series and the Equus is a lower priced LS. Not equals, not great comparables but offered as dollar savings substitutes for the originals.
Makes sense to me. They have a Genesis and a Genesis coupe, why not have an Equus and and Equus coupe?
Old 08-13-15, 09:58 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Audi concept roof does look like Camaro5 except the no-butt look. How many coupe out there with no butt look?
No, they don't have to get the same roof look for aerodynamic, and how roofline look has very little to do with structure. Aerodynamic dynamic of airflow from front to rear? It depends on how a company want their car to be. Efficiency, performance, or balance of both. There isn't any Subaru with that shape of roofline, they are the safest cars in the industry according to NHTSA.
By copying, I mean copying elements, not balatantly copying styling. Say if you want to make your own food based one someone else food. You can take the original and add you ingredients, it's your take on someone else's food.
Again, you only say it different. Of course, even Chinese copy is still different from the original, I expect a global brand do better when they copy "elements" from other cars.
Neither BMW nor Infiniti created fender vent, but their fender vents share no similarity except the fact they are on the front wheel.
I don't hate on anything, I just point out what I see. I love Lexus, I still can be bitter about their car "like RC-F". I can be bitter on stuff I don't like, like you're happy about stuff you like. How am I not able to express my opinion?
Old 08-13-15, 10:29 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Audi concept roof does look like Camaro5 except the no-butt look. How many coupe out there with no butt look?
I guess more than you think. I'm sure I can think of more.

Old 08-13-15, 10:51 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

I guess more than you think. I'm sure I can think of more.

Let me quote your comment. A coupe with "a very noticeable bend downwards after the rear seats that is totally absent on the Bentley." roofline, but no butt. Most of the ones you posted above are "fastback "and Mustang has some trunk line going on there".

Last edited by cino; 08-13-15 at 10:54 AM.
Old 08-13-15, 11:05 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Let me quote your comment. A coupe with "a very noticeable bend downwards after the rear seats that is totally absent on the Bentley." roofline, but no butt. Most of the ones you posted above are "fastback "and Mustang has some trunk line going on there".
You should choose your words more carefully. Coupe with no butt? That fits the fastback design brief to a T. Now on to what you said: "Bentley roofline." That's where you made a mistake. The Bentley's roofline, while still a fastback shape, is in fact different than what Hyundai has implemented.

Same type of animal, different species. Not a copy.

Last edited by TangoRed; 08-13-15 at 11:08 AM.
Old 08-13-15, 01:00 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

You should choose your words more carefully. Coupe with no butt? That fits the fastback design brief to a T. Now on to what you said: "Bentley roofline." That's where you made a mistake. The Bentley's roofline, while still a fastback shape, is in fact different than what Hyundai has implemented.

Same type of animal, different species. Not a copy.
" a very noticeable bend downwards after the rear seats that is totally absent on the Bentley." roofline. you know the whole quote is adjective, not just the word Bentley, right, I mean I'm not even a native speaker.
Yes. I made a mistake earlier thinking that the implementation is like Bentley, No. It's not like Continental, it's like Quattro concept. I did correct myself earlier too, I brought Bentley up because of the quotation. That is all.
Old 08-13-15, 01:54 PM
Diemellz
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

interesting

Quick Reply: Hyundai HCD-16 Vision G Coupe Concept