Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai HCD-16 Vision G Coupe Concept

Old 08-11-15, 09:43 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Hyundai HCD-16 Vision G Coupe Concept

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/hyund...coupe-concept/

Press Release

Hyundai Premieres "Vision G" Coupe Concept at LACMA

Introduces Concept as Evolution of Hyundai's 'Responsible and Respectful' Luxury Family of Products

FOUNTAIN VALLEY, Calif. Aug. 11, 2015 – Hyundai Motor America revealed the "Vision G" Concept Coupe to a select group of media at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA). The concept was described as Hyundai's inspiration for its family of future premium products that promise luxury, performance and style with the value and responsibility that is the foundation of Hyundai's brand.

"The concept was designed with coordinated input from Hyundai design studios around the world, but was led by our team here in the U.S.," said Peter Schreyer, Hyundai's president and chief design officer. "The design is our interpretation of the idea that Hyundai breathes into all of its vehicles – a DNA that balances design and performance with the idea that you don't need to be over the top in terms of glitz and stereotypical luxury cues."

During the design process, Hyundai's team of designers centered their work on the notion of "chivalry" – a word they felt best defined the idea that one doesn't need to shout to be noticed and respected. "Vision G" is purposefully understated, despite its size and dramatic lines. One example of this respectful luxury – and a nod to the self-sufficiency of the driver – is a technology that automatically opens the door as if being opened by a valet.

The exterior styling of the concept is highlighted by a long hood, high-beltline and a cabin that presents a slingshot-like appearance. "In keeping with a design that speaks to the owner rather than 'the spectators' who might see the car on the road, Vision G appears dynamic and in constant motion," said Christopher Chapman, head of Hyundai's U.S. design center and leader of the coupe's design team. "After all – and if all is right in the world – the only time an owner sees the exterior of the car is when it's standing still."

The underlying idea of respectful luxury flows into the interior, underscored by its clarity and simplicity. No glaring examples of luxury, but rather elegant lines and finishes.

The heart of "Vision G" is the award-winning 5.0-liter Tau V8 engine producing 420 horsepower at 6,000 rpm and 383 lb. ft. of torque at 5,000 rpm. The Tau V8 engine family has been named to Ward's prestigious Ten Best Engines list three times. With high-pressure direct injection for impressive power, low emissions and superb efficiency, this latest version of the Tau V8 benefits from an optimized intake runner length, enhanced timing chain for reduced friction and NVH, low-torque exhaust manifold, increased compression ratio and upgraded multiple-injection mapping. These enhancements combine to produce a flatter torque curve at lower rpm for even better driveability.

"Vision G" will next be shown at the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance on Sunday, August 16 in Monterey, Calif.
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/08/11/h...#slide-3578895
Old 08-12-15, 01:17 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

It's all nice until you get to the rear. Not a fan of dumpy tails.
Old 08-12-15, 04:21 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm in love with this concept. I think they just taught Cadillac how to do vertical tails.
Old 08-12-15, 09:07 AM
Hoovey689

So we've been hearing rumors the next Genesis Coupe may go upscale and get a V8 option. This may be that precursor. If so Infiniti better look out
Old 08-12-15, 09:13 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
It's all nice until you get to the rear. Not a fan of dumpy tails.
Couldn't agree more.

There is inconsistenly in angles. The A and C pillars don't complement each other as well as other large coupes.

I think it's the taillights. The vertical front grill and near-vertical trunk are complementary. The headlights are pinched back and the taillights are compressed, making it less balanced.
Old 08-12-15, 12:01 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I don't like that front three-quarter perspective, although the side profile and rear three-quarter perspectives look better; the front three-quarter view just emphasizes how big, heavy and clumsy that C-pillar is.

Speaking of that C-pillar, is this a hatchback coupe? The cut lines of the rear trunk opening which extend up parallel to the rear windscreen suggests that to me.
Old 08-12-15, 01:19 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hyundia did what they do best. Copy design other cars and mix them together.
It doesn't work at all in this case.
Old 08-12-15, 03:47 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cino
Hyundia did what they do best. Copy design other cars and mix them together.
It doesn't work at all in this case.
Right...
Old 08-12-15, 03:59 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Looks like a lot of Bentley styling is in that car.

Good for them.
Old 08-12-15, 06:58 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

To Ricknee's point, I continue to be confused about Hyundai's branding.

The Genesis consists of an sporty coupe that slots slightly above a Scion 86 and a luxury sedan that is a tweener (3 series/5 series). Now they show this Bentley Continental scales (and luxury) concept with the Genesis name association.

This concept is clearly above the current Equus so what gives?

I really like the feel of the interior of the concept. Plus the back seats look like humans can enjoy being in the back. Be prepared for the new SC to have ****ty rear seat room gang.
Old 08-12-15, 07:07 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

The Genesis coupe is moving upmarket. Easy as that. .
Old 08-12-15, 07:29 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

I think this is a car that will be an addition to the line up slotting above the Equus.

This is not an evolution of the current Genesis coupe.

It is a lower priced Bentley Continental like the Genesis sedan is a lower priced 5 series and the Equus is a lower priced LS. Not equals, not great comparables but offered as dollar savings substitutes for the originals.
Old 08-12-15, 07:45 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
I think this is a car that will be an addition to the line up slotting above the Equus.

It is a lower priced Bentley Continental like the Genesis sedan is a lower priced 5 series and the Equus is a lower priced LS. Not equals, not great comparables but offered as dollar savings substitutes for the originals.
There's been articles out since 2014 stating the Genesis coupe was going to move upmarket, but yes this isn't it. I wouldn't call this Bentley Continental status but its certainly nice. Personally I see this around the BMW 6-series coupe area in terms of grandeur.

In any event, here's the Hyundai design chief talking about the car and stating "This is definitely not the product that will replace the Genesis Coupe, this is really on a class about two levels above that current car."
Old 08-12-15, 07:50 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350

There's been articles out since 2014 stating the Genesis coupe was going to move upmarket, but yes this isn't it. I wouldn't call this Bentley Continental status but its certainly nice. Personally I see this around the BMW 6-series coupe area in terms of grandeur.

In any event, here's the Hyundai design chief talking about the car and stating "This is definitely not the product that will replace the Genesis Coupe, this is really on a class about two levels above that current car."

Old 08-12-15, 08:33 PM
Hoovey689

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hyundai HCD-16 Vision G Coupe Concept