Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Electric Car Drivers Tell Ford: We'll Never Go Back To Gasoline

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-15, 07:37 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
For me, this is the way I look at it.

My Corolla is a $21K car and I absolutely love it. It does not cost me all that much in gas ($45 a week) and get about 675km on a tank. I would gladly pay $2-3k more if they could make it electric with a range of 80km per day. I would like it to still have the gas engine which would only be used if the my range was to exceed 80km a day limit.

The issue is not that the Corolla burns to much gas, its that I may never need to visit a gas station again as I could get my short range electric car as well as a gas tank that comes with it for range.
you paid $21K for a Corolla? Curious - if you feel this way as you posted above, why not a gently used Volt instead?

http://www.autotrader.ca/cars/chevro...cp=True&srt=12

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
And if the charging station is on the grid? Coal-Fired PowerStations are non-renewable.

Like I said above, there is no one solution to energy. This is why I like hybrids though, you tend to get a good balance of performance and efficiency. Still waiting on a GS plug-in.

___

This article is about Ford though. If 9/10 surveyors say they won't go back to ICE, then I refer back to this post:

Ford's sitting on a potential gold mine.
Nobody is saying there IS just one solution...the article is just about Ford EV drivers saying they are satisfied.

And yep, I agree Ford is blowing it by not releasing a next gen Escape Hybrid/Plug-in....I just don't understand their logic....

Last edited by bagwell; 08-12-15 at 07:41 AM.
Old 08-12-15, 08:43 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricknee
Time to buy a Chevy Volt.
Makes very little sense the Volt IMO, I bought my Corolla in Canada for $21k, the Volt starts at $40k. Sure there is a $8500 incentive, but that still makes it $31.5k.
Old 08-12-15, 08:46 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

@ Bagwell, I actually paid $19,200 before taxes etc. I think it came out to $23,599 total. The Volt in Canada starts at $40k, then taxes etc makes it around $45k.

The Corolla gets the same performance as the Volt and has excellrt fuel economy. The only thing attractive about the Volt is the electric range. But not the huge premium.

I also do not ever by used cars. (Moms 4Runner was an exception).
Old 08-12-15, 08:48 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ricknee
I've seen new Volts for less than $21,000, so I don't know where you're looking. It's crazy how cheap they are here.
Not a new one.
Old 08-12-15, 09:15 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

@ Bagwell, I actually paid $19,200 before taxes etc. I think it came out to $23,599 total. The Volt in Canada starts at $40k, then taxes etc makes it around $45k.

The Corolla gets the same performance as the Volt and has excellrt fuel economy. The only thing attractive about the Volt is the electric range. But not the huge premium.

I also do not ever by used cars. (Moms 4Runner was an exception).
Certified Pre-Owned (in most cases) has a better warranty than a new car....but it's your $$$$
Old 08-12-15, 11:30 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reality: A new battery of the Tesla Model S 85 costs $44,564 before tax and labor.

Reality: A road trip to scenic (and often less populated) areas with an electric car is still at the mercy of charging stations happening to be along the way--and they often don't, which means countless wastes of time and detours.

Last edited by ydooby; 08-12-15 at 11:37 AM.
Old 08-12-15, 11:46 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ydooby
Reality: A new battery of the Tesla Model S 85 costs $44,564 before tax and labor.

Reality: A road trip to scenic (and often less populated) areas with an electric car is still at the mercy of charging stations happening to be along the way--and they often don't, which means countless wastes of time and detours.
Reality: Developing new battery tech is very expensive.

Reality: A road trip to scenic (and often less populated) areas with gasoline powered car is still at the mercy of gas stations happening to be along the way--and they often aren't, which means countless wastes of time and detours.

Old 08-12-15, 12:11 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

This is still a pretty minor inconvenience when owning an electric car.
Old 08-12-15, 02:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Since it's a product for an alternate-fuel vehicle (and part of the drivetrain) there might be tax credits on that 44K, though.
Old 08-12-15, 02:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

For me, this is the way I look at it.

My Corolla is a $21K car and I absolutely love it. It does not cost me all that much in gas ($45 a week) and get about 675km on a tank. I would gladly pay $2-3k more if they could make it electric with a range of 80km per day. I would like it to still have the gas engine which would only be used if the my range was to exceed 80km a day limit.

The issue is not that the Corolla burns to much gas, its that I may never need to visit a gas station again as I could get my short range electric car as well as a gas tank that comes with it for range.
Is the 80km one-way or round-trip? If round-trip, the Ford Focus Electric or Chevy Electric Spark may come close to meeting your range and price requirements, especially after tax-credit discounts (though Canada tax law may or not have the same credits). You would (probably) like the Focus a little better, as the Spark is tiny, unrefined, and not comparable to your Corolla in comfort...but the Focus Electric also costs more.

And, of course, there is the Prius C (Toyota Aqua)...which runs about the same list price as your Corolla (less, maybe, after tax credits). Like the Chevy Spark, it is not particularly comfortable to drive, but has the gas-engine backup you want for extended-range at a low price.
Old 08-12-15, 02:46 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
And if the charging station is on the grid? Coal-Fired PowerStations are non-renewable.

Like I said above, there is no one solution to energy. This is why I like hybrids though, you tend to get a good balance of performance and efficiency. Still waiting on a GS plug-in.

___

This article is about Ford though. If 9/10 surveyors say they won't go back to ICE, then I refer back to this post:

Ford's sitting on a potential gold mine.
Anything Toyota PHEV is a pipedream let alone Lexus. They are not even going to bother.
Old 08-12-15, 02:55 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
Anything Toyota PHEV is a pipedream let alone Lexus. They are not even going to bother.
Aside from the Prius PHEV (which is currently discontinued) I agree it's a pipe dream. I'll still dream though
Old 08-12-15, 06:07 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Is the 80km one-way or round-trip? If round-trip, the Ford Focus Electric or Chevy Electric Spark may come close to meeting your range and price requirements, especially after tax-credit discounts (though Canada tax law may or not have the same credits). You would (probably) like the Focus a little better, as the Spark is tiny, unrefined, and not comparable to your Corolla in comfort...but the Focus Electric also costs more.

And, of course, there is the Prius C (Toyota Aqua)...which runs about the same list price as your Corolla (less, maybe, after tax credits). Like the Chevy Spark, it is not particularly comfortable to drive, but has the gas-engine backup you want for extended-range at a low price.
The Focus Electric makes no sense. My Corolla mid level trim was $19,200 while a electric Focus is $$32.500 starting.

The price premium needs to be in and around $2000-$3000 and I'm in.
Old 08-12-15, 07:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The Focus Electric makes no sense. My Corolla mid level trim was $19,200 while a electric Focus is $$32.500 starting.

There are a lot of tax credits in the U.S. that bring the actual prices of electric cars way down, but it may not be the same in Canada. Also, the Chevy Spark Electric is substantially cheaper than the Focus Electric, but I don't think you would like it as much because of its crudity and small size.

Have you looked at a Prius C? It starts at just about the same price as your Corolla in U.S. dollars. It also has both gasoline and electric motors. But, like the Spark, it is not particularly comfortable to drive.
Old 08-12-15, 08:11 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

you're in CA right? any tax incentives there?

In Ontario, for example, consumers are eligible for up to $8500 in rebates when purchasing certain BEVs or PHEVs, although HEVs are not eligible.

Last edited by bagwell; 08-12-15 at 08:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Electric Car Drivers Tell Ford: We'll Never Go Back To Gasoline