Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Which would you buy for a (mostly) track/weekend-fun car?
Cayman GT4, whether or not price was a factor
66.67%
Corvette, ultimately because of the price difference
14.58%
Corvette, whether or not price was a factor
18.75%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Cayman GT4 or C7 Z51 Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-15, 12:09 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 427Monster
I buy what I like...don't care about others...
I agree almost completely, but I do think there is something to be said about a car that is not seen very often. Not necessarily just because of its ability to impress people (although I'm not gonna lie, I like when my car can break some necks, in more ways than one -- and I think most people do, whether or not they'd admit it), but also because it makes the car feel a little more special every time you get in it or even just look at it. When you see a car all the time, it just starts to wear on you a bit. Of course, you can always make your car a bit more unique with the help of the aftermarket, but factory uniqueness has appeal.

That said, it's not at all a good primary reason to buy a car, but it's at least something to think about IMO. I'm sure it's a bigger concern to some people than others. (I think, for example, that one reason for many of Audi's sales is that it's just different from Mercedes, BMW, and Lexus.) With a purchase like this, emotion comes into play almost as much as practicality.
Old 01-14-16, 08:23 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

UPDATE: If anyone even remembers (or cares about) this thread, I just got an allocation for a GT4 from a local dealer. Woohoo! Supposed to be for a June/July build timeframe, with a delivery around September.

... But you know what's funny (or more sad) is that when I first heard about this car and called a dealer to try to get on the waitlist, I was seriously interested in owning the car and driving it the way the car gods intended. As I talk about in this thread, I was going to keep it and track it regularly... Now, after months of hearing all about the supply shortages, and about how this is going to be an "instant classic" with Porsche moving to turbo drivetrains, AND after having my dealer refund my deposit once already saying they would get no more allocations, there's a not-insignificant part of me that is considering approaching this purchase as a financial investment, heh.

So now that I have an allocation, the car/driving enthusiast in me wants everyone who wants one to get one both so they can happy and so that I can just relax and drive without worrying about destroying a collector's item... but the greedy part of me wants my allocation to have been a rare goldmine so that I end up with a great investment that I'll probably barely drive.

Last edited by RocketGuy3; 01-14-16 at 09:31 AM.
Old 01-14-16, 09:11 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
So now that I have an allocation, the car/driving enthusiast in me wants everyone who wants one to get one both so they can happy and so that I can just relax and drive without worrying about destroying a collector's item... but the greedy part of me wants my allocation to have been a rare goldmine so that I end up with a great investment that I'll probably barely drive.

/LifeStory
meh, just get the GTS instead and you solve that issue....(looks better anyway without the huge ricer spoiler on the GT4 IMO)

I just built mine...

Last edited by bagwell; 01-14-16 at 09:27 AM.
Old 01-14-16, 09:41 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

For the price difference, I think the GTS is just too inferior of a performance car. More weight, significantly less power, significantly smaller brakes, weaker chassis.

I honeslty don't mind the wing too much and think the GT4 looks a good bit better overall. Besides, it's a functional wing -- it's not rice. The GTS would be more practical of a ride while not on the track, though... Wouldn't have to worry about scraping the front lip on every speed bump or incline.

And holy s***, you must have added every option in the book to your GTS! Haha, that thing is nearly $30K more than my GT4 configuration.
Old 01-14-16, 09:50 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I still can't believe people pay that much $$$$ for a Porsche. Or that it was even possible to put a whole nicely equipped BMW 328i worth of options on their base model car.

I know Audi is in a production lull and there are no 2016 R8's, but for $125,000 would have bought a R8 with the V8, which is a much more compelling car IMO. Or a new Z06 Vette, or a Viper with all the trimmings, with 20k left over for sticky tires and track day lessons.
Old 01-14-16, 12:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

congrats! it's definitely a tough call, but in recent years porsche has become a big "investment" for sure. just look at all the 993 and then all the gt3. insane
Old 01-14-16, 03:57 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
congrats! it's definitely a tough call, but in recent years porsche has become a big "investment" for sure. just look at all the 993 and then all the gt3. insane
Dude 993 Turbo prices are insane. There are a couple of "collector grade" cars on ebay right now with less than 10k miles on them with buy it nows of $219k and $289k
Old 01-14-16, 09:10 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Dude 993 Turbo prices are insane. There are a couple of "collector grade" cars on ebay right now with less than 10k miles on them with buy it nows of $219k and $289k
yes sire, the bubble is quite insane, personally i am not sure if it makes sense or if it's just a mean for some people to "keep" their money.

even the 997 gt3 pricing have been pretty crazy. if anything, one regret of me getting the nsx would have been not getting the 997 gt3 instead (from a financial point of view)
Old 01-14-16, 11:52 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
Yeah, if I didn't drive this car much, I could see it becoming quite a collector's dream at some point... Porsche sells so few Caymans at all, let alone Cayman GT4s (of which they supposedly are only making 2500 globally, which is far less than the demand). Then there's the fact that this may be one of the last manual GT cars they make, and maybe the very last naturally aspirated Cayman (and one of the last NA Porsches in general).

... Of course, having said all that, it's still likely to depreciate, if slowly, over the next few years once this initial fervor dies down.

In any case, the main problem is this car was MEANT to be driven... and driven hard.
Old 01-15-16, 09:39 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

You do pay more for a Porsche, but the resale value is damn good so you won't be out too much if you ever plan on selling. On paper the Porsche looks overpriced and inferior, but I have not met a Porsche owner who didn't have a smile on his/her face.
Old 01-15-16, 09:46 AM
EyeSF
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

congrats. GT4 is a great car
Old 01-16-16, 04:32 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats man, enjoy it in good health. September will be here before you know it!
Old 01-16-16, 08:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Congratulations. Enjoy it.
Old 04-02-16, 10:45 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Sunuva... GM unveiling the Grand Sport is going to make this a little bit tougher...
Old 04-03-16, 07:35 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Can't believe you're still cross-shopping these two cars.

If it makes it any easier, the GT4 doesn't appear to be nearly as in demand as initially perceived, so I doubt the resale is going to be anything amazing (especially in the short term). A friend of mine was down in LA last weekend and told me one of the dealers had FIVE (!) on the lot available at MSRP. That could be better if you won't care as much about driving it all the time, or worse if you are concerned about selling it later on.

Quick Reply: Cayman GT4 or C7 Z51 Corvette?