Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Interesting...Toyota's Lexus Testing Haggle-Free Sales at 12 U.S. Stores

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-16, 06:22 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
What really trips me out is customers say they hate to haggle but they are the ones who initiate it.
because the price the dealer first 'offers' is usually ludicrous. chicken and egg. most of my local dealers have a 'package' on EVERY VEHICLE of several hundred dollars or more than a thousand in some cases, including pin stripe (really?), upholstery protection, and other fluff (nitrogen in tires, lol) which costs the dealer almost NOTHING or in fact, NOTHING. it's this kind of insulting starting point that makes the whole thing adversarial to begin with.

Originally Posted by SW15LS
$1,500 over invoice is IMHO not a very good deal on one of these cars.
lol - knew you'd post something like that. and yeah, because of the above dealer shenanigans every time, i EXPECT to get a car around invoice price, knowing the dealer's still making good money. dealers have no one to blame but themselves for being thought of as worse than even politicians in terms of trust.
Old 07-25-16, 07:12 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
"These cars".....meaning what? Lexus products?

It can also be quite difficult, in many cases, because of a number of factors, to determine just what the exact dealer invoice is. With Consumer Reports or typical buying services, one can come reasonably close (maybe a couple of hundred dollars), but even then, a number of different factors apply.
the cars were talking about...Lexus cars.
Old 07-25-16, 08:06 AM
grabber2
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Not a expert but want to share my thought. I like the idea of Haggle-Free Sales but it doesn't mean the dealer can not screw you on something else. The dealer can still screw you on finance & extra fees. I just experienced it with my XC90. After negotiated a final price with sales, the finance manager show me a contract with totally different numbers. A six pages contract with number & fee that most people have no clue on. It took 20 mins & dozen of questions to kinda figure them out. He first bump up my monthly payment for the following reasons:
1. My credit score was not tier 1
2. Money Factor given by sales was incorrect (0.00096 vs 0.00126)
3. only 39 month term available vs the 36 month (affect the residual % as well)

I told him trash it and give me a new contract with negotiated price & monthly payment. It took 1.5 hours to get back on the track but I still I ended up compromised to take 39 month term instead of 36 months.

Its is interesting what price are the dealer offering on these Haggle-Free deal.

Old 07-25-16, 08:24 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by grabber2
Its is interesting what price are the dealer offering on these Haggle-Free deal.
I think you said it the best. At this time the only numbers most of us have seen who have come in to contact are with the pilot program. I believe we have not seen what the numbers will come to when they expand this over all diff franchises. My only question is that if they offer 8k discounts as suggested by the our fellow forum poster as the price you pay without haggling, how would that affect residuals and resale values. What value if any would the sticker hold?
Old 07-25-16, 12:49 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by grabber2
Not a expert but want to share my thought. I like the idea of Haggle-Free Sales but it doesn't mean the dealer can not screw you on something else. The dealer can still screw you on finance & extra fees. I just experienced it with my XC90. After negotiated a final price with sales, the finance manager show me a contract with totally different numbers. A six pages contract with number & fee that most people have no clue on. It took 20 mins & dozen of questions to kinda figure them out. He first bump up my monthly payment for the following reasons:
1. My credit score was not tier 1
2. Money Factor given by sales was incorrect (0.00096 vs 0.00126)
3. only 39 month term available vs the 36 month (affect the residual % as well)

I told him trash it and give me a new contract with negotiated price & monthly payment. It took 1.5 hours to get back on the track but I still I ended up compromised to take 39 month term instead of 36 months.

Was there a reason why you didnt just get up and leave? Obviously the dealer tried to screw you and was completely dishonest. I wouldnt deal with people like that even if I'm in love with the car.
Old 07-25-16, 01:48 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Was there a reason why you didnt just get up and leave? Obviously the dealer tried to screw you and was completely dishonest. I wouldnt deal with people like that even if I'm in love with the car.
I take it as another round of negotiation. Its our 4th new car & first time leasing. Getting a new car from any NYC dealer are always a hassle. I urgently need it so I find it acceptable for the extra 3 months.

Old 07-25-16, 02:45 PM
Club Lexus Editor
CL Editor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front page coverage

Looks like at least some of the no-haggle dealerships are happy with the results thus far...
https://www.clublexus.com/articles/h...eriment-going/
Old 07-25-16, 03:35 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
because the price the dealer first 'offers' is usually ludicrous. chicken and egg. most of my local dealers have a 'package' on EVERY VEHICLE of several hundred dollars or more than a thousand in some cases, including pin stripe (really?), upholstery protection, and other fluff (nitrogen in tires, lol) which costs the dealer almost NOTHING or in fact, NOTHING. it's this kind of insulting starting point that makes the whole thing adversarial to begin with.
Exactly, it's expected as a social norm. MSRPs are absurdly high because negotiation is expected. Then dealers build in even more unwanted options that provide negligible value to the end consumer so there is more haggle room. It's a stupid, absurd system that cultivates equally stupid and absurd participation.
Old 07-25-16, 06:39 PM
yellow2112
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Can confirm - bought Two lexus' from a haggle free dealer. First my IS350 then the RC F.

In both instances, I was told upfront, 'we take the pain out of the transaction by automatically going to our absolute minimum so that you don't have to haggle with us' lol

In both instances, once I told them about my trade and cash in hand and was serious about buying, haggling took place. Both by email and in person, on both cars.

I guess most people who buy cars don't join car forums and are not 'car people' like most of us here, so the ploy works but come on!!!! Do they REALLY REALLY expect us to believe that $800 below MSRP is as low as they can go?

These days with the internet, its just way way to easy to find someone doing the same thing for less, and that..thankfully is their downfall.
Old 07-25-16, 06:46 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

On a side note, Edmunds reposted the same article but with a bit more info on the pilot program

Dealerships currently in the program

Three other dealerships will offer Lexus Plus by August 1.

They are Lexus of Bellevue, Bellevue, Washington;
Lexus of North Hills, Wexford, Pennsylvania;
Rohrich Lexus, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

Old 07-25-16, 06:47 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by yellow2112
Can confirm - bought Two lexus' from a haggle free dealer. First my IS350 then the RC F.

In both instances, I was told upfront, 'we take the pain out of the transaction by automatically going to our absolute minimum so that you don't have to haggle with us' lol

In both instances, once I told them about my trade and cash in hand and was serious about buying, haggling took place. Both by email and in person, on both cars.

I guess most people who buy cars don't join car forums and are not 'car people' like most of us here, so the ploy works but come on!!!! Do they REALLY REALLY expect us to believe that $800 below MSRP is as low as they can go?

These days with the internet, its just way way to easy to find someone doing the same thing for less, and that..thankfully is their downfall.
Without naming the names I already know who you are referring to lol
Old 07-25-16, 11:47 PM
AWilson013
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Three other dealerships will offer Lexus Plus by August 1.

They are Lexus of Bellevue, Bellevue, Washington;
Lexus of Bellevue is already going with this non sense... A car with less options than my wife's IS300 (which we got there on June 30th) costs considerably more than what we paid. Looks like this will be both our first and last experience with Lexus of Bellevue.
Old 07-26-16, 03:06 AM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kitabel
Watch the "True Coat" dialogue in "Fargo": everything you need to know about car dealers.
Very true.

I knocked $2,000 off the asking price of mine and initially started by asking for $4,000 off.
Old 07-26-16, 10:47 AM
Ken167
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

I work at an AutoNation dealer and I AGREE with the one price business model. CarMax has been doing one price for a long time and they sell A LOT of cars. NO HAGGLE NO GRINDING NO LOWBALLING. Some customers are very annoying and stupid and want to grind all day. One price makes the selling/buying process so MUCH EASIER!

Dealers everywhere are watching Lexus and CarMax and I hope AutoNation also goes to one price!
Old 07-26-16, 01:21 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken167

Dealers everywhere are watching Lexus and CarMax and I hope AutoNation also goes to one price!
There are how many traditional dealers are there in the United States vs how many Lexus no haggle + Auto nation dealers. I doubt many are watching.

Truthfully, the only two brands that I ever knew that were no-haggle were Saturn and Scion, one is no longer in business and Scion is discontinued. I doubt no-haggle will work. I am not convinced that no-haggle will work other than in a niche way

Quick Reply: Interesting...Toyota's Lexus Testing Haggle-Free Sales at 12 U.S. Stores