Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Interesting...Toyota's Lexus Testing Haggle-Free Sales at 12 U.S. Stores

Old 07-26-16, 01:31 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There is ALWAYS haggling over something.

Price, Incentives, Interest rate, perks, extended warranties, etc.
Old 07-26-16, 11:37 PM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've bought a used Corvette from Carmax before and only cause I felt I was getting a good deal. The only time whenever I haggle is usually because have a trade in and I get low balled. Carmax offered me a good deal on my trade and purchase so I bought the car. Haggling can be a headache and a very tedious process. However, if I think the car is overpriced I won't buy and wait until they have rebates or offer me a good deal.

I also think Carmax is doing well is because of their huge inventory and not everyone is in the market for a brand new car. If a brand new Corolla had a non-negotiable $22k price tag, I simply walk away and go to a different dealership. Consumers are getting more educated about car sales nowadays so dealerships have to think of a different way to make more money. I'm curious as to see where this will head down the road.
Old 07-27-16, 06:39 AM
JosersRX
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default No way!

I always like to negotiate the price I pay for my cars... I'm totally ok spending an hour or two "haggling" if it means getting the car below invoice! That equates to thousands of dollars savings... HELLO!
Leave this concept to CarMax and for those that like to over pay on their cars.
Old 07-27-16, 07:37 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
There are how many traditional dealers are there in the United States vs how many Lexus no haggle + Auto nation dealers. I doubt many are watching.

Truthfully, the only two brands that I ever knew that were no-haggle were Saturn and Scion, one is no longer in business and Scion is discontinued. I doubt no-haggle will work. I am not convinced that no-haggle will work other than in a niche way

I would say the opposite. With many dealers seeing their trump card flying away due to truecaresque sites, the business models needs to change to better equip themselves. One way is to see whats better strategies are out there to return power to the business and away from the customer. In addition whatever time and money they get has to be "optimized", as 4 hours to a customer on a weekend might not mean much to the customer, but the for the business 4 hours with a decreased profit margin is lost revenue.
Old 07-27-16, 09:32 AM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by coolsaber
I would say the opposite. With many dealers seeing their trump card flying away due to truecaresque sites, the business models needs to change to better equip themselves. One way is to see whats better strategies are out there to return power to the business and away from the customer. In addition whatever time and money they get has to be "optimized", as 4 hours to a customer on a weekend might not mean much to the customer, but the for the business 4 hours with a decreased profit margin is lost revenue.
People will go where the best price is. It's the spirit of competition. And if all dealers charge the same then this can be considered price fixing.
Old 07-27-16, 09:39 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by litesoarer
And if all dealers charge the same then this can be considered price fixing.
That's not right - a minimum price restriction set by a producer of goods is not considered price fixing.
Old 07-27-16, 09:50 AM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gengar
That's not right - a minimum price restriction set by a producer of goods is not considered price fixing.
By the producer, not by the franchisee.
Old 07-27-16, 10:34 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by litesoarer
By the producer, not by the franchisee.
Yep. And we're talking about the producer.

Also, be aware that at the federal level, judicial precedent allows franchisors to set minimum price levels for franchisees. State law can presumably allow exceptions.
Old 07-29-16, 06:52 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

If enough customers walk out, they will have to eventually lower the prices or drop this no haggling non sense. It didnt work for Saturn, it didnt work for Scion and probably won't work for Lexus. Then again the high end clientele usually dont haggle anyways, if that's the kind of customer Lexus is going for. It will weed out the poor folks like me that will haggle over $5 on a lease payment.
Old 07-29-16, 07:05 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,799 Posts

I think you're wrong about high end clientele not wanting to haggle. The desire to get a good price and good value doesn't disappear when a customer has high worth, if anything there's an ego at work there that is a more powerful driving factor than need.
Old 07-29-16, 08:01 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I think you're wrong about high end clientele not wanting to haggle. The desire to get a good price and good value doesn't disappear when a customer has high worth, if anything there's an ego at work there that is a more powerful driving factor than need.
Yes i've seen the ego need to haggle even by people with major bucks. However, usually they end up claiming they got a 'good deal' even when they didn't. The salesperson no doubt stroked their ego skilfully to make the rich customer think they got the upper hand.
Old 07-29-16, 08:38 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Yes i've seen the ego need to haggle even by people with major bucks. However, usually they end up claiming they got a 'good deal' even when they didn't. The salesperson no doubt stroked their ego skilfully to make the rich customer think they got the upper hand.
My boss says he just calls in to the BMW dealer telling them exactly what he wants then just shows up to do the paperwork. So he claims. So perhaps those are the kind of people they want.
Old 07-29-16, 10:56 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by situman
My boss says he just calls in to the BMW dealer telling them exactly what he wants then just shows up to do the paperwork. So he claims. So perhaps those are the kind of people they want.
Those people definitely exist, but they are not representative of everybody in that class. I'm not in the auto business, but I help people buy an expensive item every day and clients on the upper end expect a much more favorable negotiation than clients on the lower end.
Old 07-29-16, 07:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
The reverse of that, though, is often a problem as well. Some customers are never satisfied, no matter what kind of deal they get. You could give them the vehicle at $1000 or $2000 below invoice (if you can actually determine true invoice in the first place, which is often difficult or impossible)...or even give them the vehicle at half-price, and some people would still complain and b***h that they got shafted, that someday else could have done better, or gotten a better deal, than they did. I've shopped with prospective car-buyers like that before (fortunately, not with a whole lot of them), and they can be a PITA ....worse, in some ways, than the classic stereotype deceptive salesperson.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-29-16 at 07:13 PM.
Old 07-29-16, 08:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The reverse of that, though, is often a problem as well. Some customers are never satisfied, no matter what kind of deal they get. You could give them the vehicle at $1000 or $2000 below invoice (if you can actually determine true invoice in the first place, which is often difficult or impossible)...or even give them the vehicle at half-price, and some people would still complain and b***h that they got shafted, that someday else could have done better, or gotten a better deal, than they did. I've shopped with prospective car-buyers like that before (fortunately, not with a whole lot of them), and they can be a PITA ....worse, in some ways, than the classic stereotype deceptive salesperson.
For sure, its a two way street with car buyers and car salespeople.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Interesting...Toyota's Lexus Testing Haggle-Free Sales at 12 U.S. Stores