Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Interesting...Toyota's Lexus Testing Haggle-Free Sales at 12 U.S. Stores

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-15, 10:57 AM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default No haggle model

After you have reached a deal and you pick up a cashier's check from your financial institution and hand it to them, how do they make more money than if you hand them cash. Now if you finance thru Lexus financial there may be a kickback to them. But that is not part of your deal. Your deal is the price you agreed to pay them. Do you believe if Lexus financial gives them a kickback on financing that you should get a piece of the action. The only break you will see is if you have an outstanding FICO score they may lend to you at a lesser interest rate Also, if you are a repeat customer you will get a slightly better deal in order to retain your business.. My wife and I have purchased 26 new cars over our lifetime and I have tried all of the angles. When I lived in CA I knew the dealer personally, and the sales manager was one of my neighbors. I know the games they can run on you. But if you do your research and make a fair offer you more than likely will drive away with the car that you wanted.
Old 08-14-15, 11:48 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...le-sales-pitch

check out this article at bloomberg.

Anyone familiar with mccafferty toyota and their fixed pricing system? How much of discount did they give?
Old 08-20-15, 05:38 AM
mokeboi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This guy needs to go check out Lexus Hawaii. Terrible.
Old 08-20-15, 03:06 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The no-haggle option only works in the following scenario:

1. Your friend/spouse drives you up to the dealership.
2. You walk or take a golf cart to scour their inventory.
3. You like a car and the price, you get in it and drive
4. at the main gate, you pay for it at the counter and go your merry way.
- Payment option: Cash/Debit or Finance. No difference. Finance rates will be provided by the bank automatically, online. If you like it, sign it.
Old 08-22-15, 11:33 AM
USB3IS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This may be a good change in terms of customer experience. The sales guys ALWAYS are super nice and professional, until you start haggling. It really spoils the experience.

The trade-off of not having to haggle is potentially less discount, assuming they are only adjusting MSRP by around 5% (roughly half the profit from invoice) to come up with this non-haggle price, which means no more smoking deals, unless Lexus give significant manufacturers discount on top of the non-haggle dealer prices.
Old 04-02-16, 02:15 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Lexus aims to treat buyers 'like guests in our own home'

http://www.autonews.com/article/2016...n-our-own-home

Beyond the creature comforts and quality of an upscale vehicle, the "luxury" in luxury cars is increasingly about hospitality and how a buyer -- or "guest" in Lexus lingo -- feels about the entire brand experience, said Jeff Bracken, Lexus general manager.

That means dealers must take care of dealership employees so they show a real desire to make customers happy, he said.

"Your guests can tell if someone is naturally wired to make people happy or if they are just going through the motions," Bracken said Thursday at the J.D. Power Automotive Summit here. "Growing hospitality from the inside out is a must-do item."

But there's more, he said. Research shows customers would like more transparency on pricing, a speedier purchase process and a single point-person to guide them through the purchase, Bracken said.

Lexus Plus, a voluntary program being taken on by 11 of Lexus' 236 U.S. dealers, is based on the premise that customers want to wrap up the sale in about an hour, deal with only one person and eliminate price negotiation, Bracken said.

"Beyond traditional performance metrics, we know this program is a success when our guests proclaim that there is nowhere else they'd rather do business than with their Lexus dealer," he said.

With the new-car buyer segment skewing more toward women, young people and minorities, Bracken said, Lexus is improving dealership amenities to treat those future buyers "like guests in our own home."

"Clearly, Lexus Plus is a mind-shift; it's a complete culture change," he said.

Bracken conceded that some dealers aren't on board with no-haggle pricing and want to maintain control of the retail process, but he said others are prepared to try something new.

Even in a society that is embracing car-hailing services such as Uber, Bracken said, there will always be a place for more emotionally driven products.

He asked: "Why wouldn't there be luxury?"
Old 04-02-16, 02:18 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I like the negotiation game. No haggle pricing basically just brings the metric down to volume.

I'd like to think one can still haggle though, even if it means you're just haggling for extras. Warranty coverage, service/protection plans.
Old 04-02-16, 06:52 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
http://www.autonews.com/article/2016...n-our-own-home

Beyond the creature comforts and quality of an upscale vehicle, the "luxury" in luxury cars is increasingly about hospitality and how a buyer -- or "guest" in Lexus lingo -- feels about the entire brand experience, said Jeff Bracken, Lexus general manager.

That means dealers must take care of dealership employees so they show a real desire to make customers happy, he said.

"Your guests can tell if someone is naturally wired to make people happy or if they are just going through the motions," Bracken said Thursday at the J.D. Power Automotive Summit here. "Growing hospitality from the inside out is a must-do item."

But there's more, he said. Research shows customers would like more transparency on pricing, a speedier purchase process and a single point-person to guide them through the purchase, Bracken said.

Lexus Plus, a voluntary program being taken on by 11 of Lexus' 236 U.S. dealers, is based on the premise that customers want to wrap up the sale in about an hour, deal with only one person and eliminate price negotiation, Bracken said.

"Beyond traditional performance metrics, we know this program is a success when our guests proclaim that there is nowhere else they'd rather do business than with their Lexus dealer," he said.

With the new-car buyer segment skewing more toward women, young people and minorities, Bracken said, Lexus is improving dealership amenities to treat those future buyers "like guests in our own home."

"Clearly, Lexus Plus is a mind-shift; it's a complete culture change," he said.

Bracken conceded that some dealers aren't on board with no-haggle pricing and want to maintain control of the retail process, but he said others are prepared to try something new.

Even in a society that is embracing car-hailing services such as Uber, Bracken said, there will always be a place for more emotionally driven products.

He asked: "Why wouldn't there be luxury?"
In and out in 1 hour? Any dealerships in the province of Ontario, Canada offering this program?

If there are any dealerships in which I can eliminate the fake back-and-forth between the salesperson and the sales manager, and then the next hour haggling and pulling hair with the business manager, that would be my preferred dealership.

I am a "smart shopper", in that I do a lot of research before making a big purchase; so when I am ready, just let me go in and out in 1 hour. Stop insulting me with the fake "negotiating" and upselling of unwanted after-market features.
Old 04-02-16, 07:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Just negotiate from home. Last few I've bought I haven't even walked in the door until the negotiation was over, so yeah I've been in and out in an hour.
Old 04-02-16, 08:01 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

I spent a total of 15 minutes negotiating the price on my LS.
Old 04-02-16, 08:07 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
In and out in 1 hour? Any dealerships in the province of Ontario, Canada offering this program?

If there are any dealerships in which I can eliminate the fake back-and-forth between the salesperson and the sales manager, and then the next hour haggling and pulling hair with the business manager, that would be my preferred dealership.

I am a "smart shopper", in that I do a lot of research before making a big purchase; so when I am ready, just let me go in and out in 1 hour. Stop insulting me with the fake "negotiating" and upselling of unwanted after-market features.
There is a program in Ontario called APA. If the dealer is signed up, APA will send you to that dealer and you pay a predetermined mark up over the invoice. Everything is transparent, warranty and accessories are included in this system and you know exactly what the dealer pays and what they make off the vehicle.

I doubt any Lexus dealer will offer this program outside the US.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 04-02-16 at 08:14 PM.
Old 04-02-16, 08:19 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Just negotiate from home. Last few I've bought I haven't even walked in the door until the negotiation was over, so yeah I've been in and out in an hour.
Originally Posted by litesoarer
I spent a total of 15 minutes negotiating the price on my LS.
This is time I do not want to spend. Cars -- even most of the luxury brands -- are mass-produced commodity items, so why should I pay more than my neighbour just because I do not like and do not have the time to haggle on price?

If I were in the market to buy a custom-made car, by special order, then I would be willing to sit down with the sales person (either in-person or online) and decide on options and price. Otherwise, give me transparency by giving me the price that is advertised and do away with all the fine print bull**** of "dealers may sell for less".
Old 04-02-16, 08:25 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

You must make beaucoup bucks to not want to spend the time to negotiate. 15 minutes saves me $2,000 off purchase price, and $4,200 overall
Old 04-02-16, 08:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

If you don't want to spend the time negotiating....then don't. You WILL pay more though, and you will pay more at a no haggle dealership than you would with some strong negotiation.

That's the point you miss...at a no haggle dealer you will not get the same deal I can get at a traditional dealer. I will tell you that for 100% absolute certain. If you're okay with that tradeoff that's fine, but don't kid yourself that you'll get the same deal off the shelf. The reason they can afford to sell me a car at very little profit is because they sell cars to other people at inflated prices. If you create a price where everybody pays the same and the dealer still makes what they need to make the people who overpay will pay less, but people like me will pay more.

You don't get what you deserve in life, you get what you negotiate.
Old 04-02-16, 08:38 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Do we know the 11 dealers yet?

Quick Reply: Interesting...Toyota's Lexus Testing Haggle-Free Sales at 12 U.S. Stores