Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Interesting...Toyota's Lexus Testing Haggle-Free Sales at 12 U.S. Stores

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-15, 06:10 AM
MichaelPea
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

As always, the devil is in the details. I agree with most of the posters that a dealership must make a profit, no matter how skinny to keep the lights on and the doors unlocked. Keeping that in mind, I generally think that around invoice leaves several hundred (or more) dollars on the table so that when I need service or support, I can still get it with no hard feelings or bitterness from the dealership. This no haggle pricing scheme, however, seems to forget that there is still sometimes significant negotiation when a trade in is involved. In my experience, the trade in number is sometimes more contentious than the price for the new car and can leave the customer feeling totally ripped off, regardless of the price for the new car. Of course, that's not to mention the many hundreds of dollars dealerships try to extort with mostly unnecessary but high margin adders like nitrogen in the tires, paint protection, etc. I'm not real sure how this will play out but it will entertaining to watch!
Old 08-10-15, 06:41 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MichaelPea
As always, the devil is in the details. I agree with most of the posters that a dealership must make a profit, no matter how skinny to keep the lights on and the doors unlocked. Keeping that in mind, I generally think that around invoice leaves several hundred (or more) dollars on the table so that when I need service or support, I can still get it with no hard feelings or bitterness from the dealership. This no haggle pricing scheme, however, seems to forget that there is still sometimes significant negotiation when a trade in is involved. In my experience, the trade in number is sometimes more contentious than the price for the new car and can leave the customer feeling totally ripped off, regardless of the price for the new car. Of course, that's not to mention the many hundreds of dollars dealerships try to extort with mostly unnecessary but high margin adders like nitrogen in the tires, paint protection, etc. I'm not real sure how this will play out but it will entertaining to watch!
Bingo! Lexus wants to improve dealer experience? Crack down on dealer installed accessories that are pre-installed before the sale, all the additional costs added to the invoice (document fees, etc) and shady tactics related to inflating the "Freight & PDI" line item with those so called "regional dealer association fees".

Have the dealers treat the customers with a professional, fair and balanced experience, disclose and provide the customer a choice on which dealer options they want and don't want and everyone will be happy. If there is a perception that dealers are adding these items to "inflate margins', or using shady tactics to rip off the customer, then that's what Lexus should address.

Further, on the trade in price, the dealer I deal with won't take any non Lexus trade in, unless it is less than 5 years old and under 100K km (60K miles) and has a clean carfax. They are clear that the trade in price is close to black book value, unless there are red flags that justify less. They will be more flexible on Lexus trade ins as loyalty incentives. All this was discussed well before we even sat down to talk pricing on a car and we decided that I was better off selling my e46 privately unless I wanted them to "wholesale" it for me.

Last edited by My0gr81; 08-10-15 at 06:48 AM.
Old 08-10-15, 06:51 AM
bodagetta
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by T4Fun
you mean dealer cost is what they dont tell you.
and you can buy a car/suv below invoice and the dealer still makes money.
i can bet you they will not charge invoice in the no haggle model, but way above it closer to msrp..
If the prices listed are "no haggle" prices, then don't those prices essentially become the de facto MSRP at that point? In my mind, the whole no haggle system is a racket designed to force everyone to pay MSRP prices. The dealers essentially take a little less profit on the few suckers who pay full sticker while forcing the multitudes who make informed buying decisions to pay much higher for new cars.

To me though it makes the decision relatively simple -- if the "no haggle" price isn't fair and the dealer cannot or will not budge, I would simply buy a used car or, if that's also undesirable, just find another vehicle from another luxury maker that meets my needs.
Old 08-10-15, 07:08 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by My0gr81
Bingo! Lexus wants to improve dealer experience? Crack down on dealer installed accessories that are pre-installed before the sale, all the additional costs added to the invoice (document fees, etc) and shady tactics related to inflating the "Freight & PDI" line item with those so called "regional dealer association fees".

Have the dealers treat the customers with a professional, fair and balanced experience, disclose and provide the customer a choice on which dealer options they want and don't want and everyone will be happy. If there is a perception that dealers are adding these items to "inflate margins', or using shady tactics to rip off the customer, then that's what Lexus should address.

Further, on the trade in price, the dealer I deal with won't take any non Lexus trade in, unless it is less than 5 years old and under 100K km (60K miles) and has a clean carfax. They are clear that the trade in price is close to black book value, unless there are red flags that justify less. They will be more flexible on Lexus trade ins as loyalty incentives. All this was discussed well before we even sat down to talk pricing on a car and we decided that I was better off selling my e46 privately unless I wanted them to "wholesale" it for me.
Here's the issue with what you're saying (bear in mind I'm speaking from a US perspective):

1. The vast majority of Lexus dealers are independent franchisees. There are laws and regulations as to what restrictions Lexus or any other manufacturer can put on their franchisees. Auto dealers have a VERY strong lobby...so a lot of this needs to be "sold" to dealers as a way to make more money while improving the customer experience. Dealers don't just have to do what Lexus says.

2. The reason dealers fight so hard to sell high profit paint sealant, dealer fees, is because they loose so much profit in the sale of the car through transparent pricing available online, etc. The idea would be this no haggle approach would help dealers be better able to predict their profit per unit and they wouldn't have to do that. In any event, I've bought a lot of Lexus vehicles from several different dealers and I never have been given the hard sell on these items.

3. Again, dealers are independent businesses. Lexus can't force them to buy vehicles on trade they don't want, or to pay more for them based on some arbitrary valuation system. The consumer is always welcome to explore other options for disposition of their trade vehicle.

So, you have to understand there are limits to what Lexus can address when it comes to dealers. The dealer absorbs ALL the risk and cost of operating their dealership, if you owned a dealer franchise and that was the case and the franchisor sat there in their offices in CA and handed down "rules" and "regulations" that made it more difficult or impossible to operate your franchise for a profit or for the profit you want...what would you do? You'd change franchises wouldn't you?

I know a guy that owns a beach hotel, been staying there for years. It was a Sheraton forever. About 15 years ago Sheraton came to him and said they were going more upscale, and he needed to make a ton of improvements at his own cost to his hotel for it to remain a Sheraton. Those improvements would have made the hotel better, and would have improved guests experiences, but also increased room rates to compensate and given the relatively blue collar beach environment he was dubious. He looked at his customers, a lot of repeat customers, looked at the value the Sheraton brand brought him...and he switched the hotel to a Clarion franchise. Much less prestigious...but he didn't have to raise costs, and didn't have to spend a ton to renovate the hotel, and they are a lot less demanding. Hotel is busier than its ever been.

Same situation is true for auto manufacturers, dealers are free to make their own choices...and if the guidelines set out from the franchisor are too strict and impede too much on the dealer's ability to operate their business the way they want to then they'll switch.

Last edited by SW17LS; 08-10-15 at 07:14 AM.
Old 08-10-15, 08:23 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Isn't this similar to what most dealers do, without necessarily being up front about it? if you have a car that is too old, or not in proper condition, for them to re-sell on their lot, then they just sell it to an auction house, and give you the "Manheim" price, which is way below the "blue book" value.
Old 08-10-15, 08:26 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I know a guy that owns a beach hotel, been staying there for years. It was a Sheraton forever. About 15 years ago Sheraton came to him and said they were going more upscale, and he needed to make a ton of improvements at his own cost to his hotel for it to remain a Sheraton. Those improvements would have made the hotel better, and would have improved guests experiences, but also increased room rates to compensate and given the relatively blue collar beach environment he was dubious. He looked at his customers, a lot of repeat customers, looked at the value the Sheraton brand brought him...and he switched the hotel to a Clarion franchise. Much less prestigious...but he didn't have to raise costs, and didn't have to spend a ton to renovate the hotel, and they are a lot less demanding. Hotel is busier than its ever been.

Same situation is true for auto manufacturers, dealers are free to make their own choices...and if the guidelines set out from the franchisor are too strict and impede too much on the dealer's ability to operate their business the way they want to then they'll switch.
Amen--how many stories did we all read about some family owned-dealership that had been with a brand for generations, and absorbed hundreds of thousands of dollars in costs to do mandatory upgrades to their dealership, only to be on the hit list during the GM and Chrysler bankruptcies?
Old 08-10-15, 08:36 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

So Lexus is finally doing well again and now want to break that model. Jesus Tapdancing Christ. "If it isn't broke, don't fix......."

Morons.
Old 08-10-15, 08:39 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Here's the issue with what you're saying (bear in mind I'm speaking from a US perspective):

1. The vast majority of Lexus dealers are independent franchisees. There are laws and regulations as to what restrictions Lexus or any other manufacturer can put on their franchisees. Auto dealers have a VERY strong lobby...so a lot of this needs to be "sold" to dealers as a way to make more money while improving the customer experience. Dealers don't just have to do what Lexus says.

2. The reason dealers fight so hard to sell high profit paint sealant, dealer fees, is because they loose so much profit in the sale of the car through transparent pricing available online, etc. The idea would be this no haggle approach would help dealers be better able to predict their profit per unit and they wouldn't have to do that. In any event, I've bought a lot of Lexus vehicles from several different dealers and I never have been given the hard sell on these items.

3. Again, dealers are independent businesses. Lexus can't force them to buy vehicles on trade they don't want, or to pay more for them based on some arbitrary valuation system. The consumer is always welcome to explore other options for disposition of their trade vehicle.

So, you have to understand there are limits to what Lexus can address when it comes to dealers. The dealer absorbs ALL the risk and cost of operating their dealership, if you owned a dealer franchise and that was the case and the franchisor sat there in their offices in CA and handed down "rules" and "regulations" that made it more difficult or impossible to operate your franchise for a profit or for the profit you want...what would you do? You'd change franchises wouldn't you?

Dealers are also "licensed franchisee" choosing to operate under the terms and conditions set in their franchise agreements with the manufacturer. As such, the franchiser can restrict the products and services the franchisee sells based on list of approved product and services. In the case of Lexus, they need to make a compelling case for the benefits from end user experience will bring additional sales and maintain healthy margins.

With respect to dealers choosing to forego their ability to sell a particular brand. Here, most MB dealers are corporate owned. I don't know the whole story behind this shift, but it went something similar, MB wanted to move in a certain direction, the dealers, and the regional distributors didn't see eye to eye and MB took them over. This happened at the time MB wanted to push the SMART brand here. Technically, all MB sales are "haggle free" since they focus on MSRP - promotional discounts and manufacturer's incentives. Every other fees and services are listed and since all dealers have common products and services on the invoice, there is no "feeling" that one could have gotten a better deal at another dealer.

All in all, @SW15LS, I guess we are saying the same thing. My comment about how my dealer deals with trade ins, was meant to reflect the "open and transparent" approach about what was acceptable to them as a trade, what guideline they would use to price it (black book) and what my choices were (self sell or wholesale through one of their partners).

Last edited by My0gr81; 08-10-15 at 08:50 AM.
Old 08-10-15, 02:30 PM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default No haggle policy

Think about it. Can you haggle the price of clothes, food, etc. Dealers will have sales in the future on their vehicles, much like dept stores. Their sales volume will determine their prices and when they will decide to have a sale. You are not forced to buy a car on a certain day or week of the year. Wait for the deals.
Old 08-10-15, 02:38 PM
Capirato
Racer

It will be interesting to go to a No Haggle Dealer, get their price then go to your local dealer and see it they will meet the price.

Will be interesting if they will charge the same price for Cash or Installments or Lease. And how about the extra Goodies they try to sell you at closing ??

~ Cap
Old 08-10-15, 05:21 PM
freeflight
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which 12 U.S. Stores? Didn't find it in the press release
Old 08-10-15, 05:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Dealers are also "licensed franchisee" choosing to operate under the terms and conditions set in their franchise agreements with the manufacturer. As such, the franchiser can restrict the products and services the franchisee sells based on list of approved product and services. In the case of Lexus, they need to make a compelling case for the benefits from end user experience will bring additional sales and maintain healthy margins.
They can to a certain degree, but there are legal restrictions as to what they can require, and theres always the economic realities that I mentioned. If Lexus makes it cost prohibitive to be a Lexus store...dealerships will no longer be Lexus stores.

With respect to dealers choosing to forego their ability to sell a particular brand. Here, most MB dealers are corporate owned. I don't know the whole story behind this shift, but it went something similar, MB wanted to move in a certain direction, the dealers, and the regional distributors didn't see eye to eye and MB took them over. This happened at the time MB wanted to push the SMART brand here. Technically, all MB sales are "haggle free" since they focus on MSRP - promotional discounts and manufacturer's incentives. Every other fees and services are listed and since all dealers have common products and services on the invoice, there is no "feeling" that one could have gotten a better deal at another dealer.
Thats there, not here. If you look at what you guys pay for cars vs what we pay...I would argue that competition outside of the manufacturer level is good for consumers. If Lexus owned all the dealers...we would pay more for a Lexus.

All in all, @SW15LS, I guess we are saying the same thing. My comment about how my dealer deals with trade ins, was meant to reflect the "open and transparent" approach about what was acceptable to them as a trade, what guideline they would use to price it (black book) and what my choices were (self sell or wholesale through one of their partners).
I've really never had a car dealer be any way other than this way about a trade.
Old 08-10-15, 07:08 PM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Default no haggle pricing

The dealer does not care if it is cash, installment or lease. Before you leave the dealer with the vehicle they will have their money. Even on a lease they get reimbursed by the manufacturer.
Old 08-11-15, 06:17 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Fairly certain they make more money on lease/finance, than if someone walks in with stacks of cash.
Old 08-11-15, 06:27 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

With respect to dealers choosing to forego their ability to sell a particular brand. Here, most MB dealers are corporate owned. I don't know the whole story behind this shift, but it went something similar, MB wanted to move in a certain direction, the dealers, and the regional distributors didn't see eye to eye and MB took them over.
The US market is nowhere near this concept. Tesla is doing battle, state by state, to be allowed to open corporate owned stores, rather than to be forced to sell through franchised dealer networks.

Quick Reply: Interesting...Toyota's Lexus Testing Haggle-Free Sales at 12 U.S. Stores