Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Interesting...Toyota's Lexus Testing Haggle-Free Sales at 12 U.S. Stores

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-15, 04:54 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

If the cost is discounted off list it may work but I doubt it.
I've seen GM dealers do discounted reg tag pricing and that was short lived.
Saturn had list prices but you could get different deals with trade ins at different Saturn dealers.

Scion sales aren't great and I believe mostly because of list price only.
Old 08-06-15, 06:14 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by My0gr81
75% of the world's population haggles for products and services.
And at least 80% of the world lives on less than $10 a day, according to the World Bank. What's your point?
Old 08-06-15, 06:37 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

There are plenty of levers Lexus can pull on a fixed price model. Like offering $3k-$5k factory rebates. Of course consumers with more money than sense will just go and pay without looking for incentives. The lazy will just not look for any incentives and walk out of the dealership. Dealers can always offer discounts on packages in addition to manufacturer rebates.
Old 08-06-15, 06:48 AM
wildeklave
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the fixed price model is similar to TrueCar / Edmunds discounts then that is fine. Dealers are always welcome to sweeten the deal. I think the premise of this pricing idea is to build trust with the customer that they are getting a fair price upfront.

With modern vehicle sales most of the profit for the dealer is not made from the vehicle. The vehicle may get the dealer and sales associate a fixed amount (like $500 per vehicle sold). Where the profits are made are from:
- financing / leases (leases do well for dealers since many consumers are unaware of money factor or residual percentages. For financing they may make 25 to 50 basis points on loans they sell)
- trade ins (sometimes a dealer breaks even or takes a small loss to sell a vehicle but for a resellable vehicle they price the trade so they can make a couple thousand when they resell it)
- extended warranties (this is a high profit area with commissions of up to 40%)
- add on parts (ie. paint protection, mudguards, trailer hitches, etc...)
- service contracts (another high profit area)
- service dept (many consumers prefer to do all service at the dealer even if the prices are slightly higher)
Old 08-06-15, 06:57 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Back in 2001 I bought a new Saturn SL2 under the "haggle free" pricing model, and did the same with my 2006 Scion tC. I had no issues with it. Where the real negotiating took place was on my trade in. I found Saturn and Scion dealers to offer up much better trade in values. So maybe you can't get that extra $1k off the new car, but you can get it on your trade, which helps with sales tax as well.
Old 08-06-15, 07:48 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
And at least 80% of the world lives on less than $10 a day, according to the World Bank. What's your point?
They may be poor, but they still haggle for their products and services, even if they are hand outs, they haggle to get more of them. You claimed that haggle-free is "absolutely the way to go", all I am asking is why? Even the super rich haggle, they just call it "negotiating the best deal" and let their agents or purchasers do that for them. That's my point, but the question still stands, why is the way to go?
Old 08-06-15, 01:06 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

i'd support most anything that would make purchasing/leasing a vehicle less painful. i can't think of a worse 'retail' experience.
Old 08-06-15, 01:19 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
There was fixed pricing in Canada about 15-20 years and didn't last long since one dealer always tried to sweeten the deal over the next one eventually killing the fixed pricing model.
Not for mercedes benz canada in vancouver since they own most of the MB dealerships themselves
Old 08-06-15, 01:36 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

I hope they publish the list of dealers participating in the program so we can get a sense of how this was set up (a cluster of dealers in a big market or a dealer here and a dealer there)
Old 08-06-15, 02:00 PM
HanaleiISF
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixed Price No Negotiation Lexus Dealers?

Will this make these dealerships go full court press for add ons?

No more price haggling at Lexus dealerships

Bracken announced Wednesday at the Center for Automotive Research Management Briefing Seminars that a dozen handpicked Lexus dealers will start a pilot project where prices for new and used cars as well as parts and service have set prices that are not subject to negotiation
Old 08-06-15, 03:06 PM
SummerRain
Driver

I don't think that will be the case or I will be thankful that I just got my IS350 F Sport
Old 08-06-15, 03:15 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

There's a good thread going about this over on car chat:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-s-stores.html
Old 08-06-15, 03:37 PM
lexneffect
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Additionally, we know there is significant growth in the purchasing power of women, millennials and minorities. So, we’ve tailored our sales process to be more conducive to diverse needs and the ever evolving definition of luxury."

I think this article pretty much gets summed up by this sentence. What it really means to me is that Lexus knows consumers have more money these days and a large majority do not like or want to negotiate with pricing so Lexus can set a price (maybe a few thousand below MSRP?) and get away with more profits. All the other "intangible benefits" that are mentioned are just worthless (e.g. baby seat installs and lady's night event to learn about the vehicle), which can be pretty much free if the consumer does a quick search or ask a friend that is somewhat knowledgeable about a car or willing to do some research.

With that said, I've been a huge Lexus devotee since 2001 when I purchased my first 2002 stick-shift Solar Yellow IS300 and along the way bought an IS250, RX350, GS300, and finally a GS350. I've also brought along more friends than I can count to educate and help them purchase their very own first Lexus vehicle. I can say without a doubt, and most of you will probably agree, that having a friend you trust (and enthusiast) discussing to you about a vehicle and the pricing is far more believable and reassuring than a salesman trying to make a living. If this fixed pricing becomes nation-wide, then Lexus will have lost a long time customer and devoted fan in myself. I will likely find an alternate brand like Audi who may not have the full "customer experience" of Lexus but will give me a lower price, which is more meaningful.
Old 08-06-15, 03:40 PM
theoryguy
Pole Position

Just a tactic to preserve margins, it won't work in where theres high competition or choices of alternatives
Old 08-06-15, 03:45 PM
pavelekPL
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Dumb move imo, looks like Toyota wants us to buy from the competitors

Quick Reply: Interesting...Toyota's Lexus Testing Haggle-Free Sales at 12 U.S. Stores