Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus ranks 10th in appealing luxury brands according to JD Powers

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-15, 09:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
Lincoln??? What, the mkx and mks? Their whole line up is FWD.
Except for the Navigator.
Old 08-06-15, 10:46 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

oh. APEAL.

not appeal.

now I know what it means. Performance is part of it, and yeah, I agree, lexus is behind by a lot.
Old 08-07-15, 12:55 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I agree...this is something Lexus needs to address. IMHO this is directly a result of old infotainment setups, powertrains, etc.

+1. Wonder what will make them lead again? What will it take? Not to say I don't like my old-new to me- Lexus RX & ISC but simply looking at what's available now on many entry level cars be it American cars or European I see an avalanche of technology that's amazing. Pretty cool what five years(from my 2010 ISC) has done in the auto industry.
Old 08-07-15, 05:33 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,209 Likes on 956 Posts

I look at it like we're the winners. If Lexus was at the top for popularity, we'd all be paying a lot more for our vehicles. Like choosing a spouse, looks are nice but reliability,
performance and comfort count MUCH more.
Old 08-07-15, 01:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by rxonmymind
+1. Wonder what will make them lead again? What will it take? Not to say I don't like my old-new to me- Lexus RX & ISC but simply looking at what's available now on many entry level cars be it American cars or European I see an avalanche of technology that's amazing. Pretty cool what five years(from my 2010 ISC) has done in the auto industry.
They need to stop being afraid of new infotainment and new engines hurting their IQS and dependability scores. Thats what it is IMHO, they've seen it happen to competitors and since thats their selling proposition, its tough.
Old 08-07-15, 07:54 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

The thread title is misleading and it seems that few contributors to this thread have read past that title.

The title is wrong on 2 accounts:

1. Lexus does NOT rank last in luxury brands; Lexus ranks 10th in the last JD Powers APEAL study, which ranks ALL automotive brands, and it just so happens that the top 10 on the list this year are luxury brands.
  2. Lexus does NOT rank last in appeal; it ranks 10th in the APEAL study, which measures much more than just appeal. I consider this to be the fault of JD Power; their study titles are intentionally or inadvertantly misleading because the titles do not match what those who are interested in cars and trucks would believe they measure. For example, we here are all aware of their Quality studies (both 90-day and 3-year) but those studies measure much more than just reliability and durability, which is what we here automatically assume they measure for "quality".
Old 08-09-15, 03:45 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Besides the LFA, what did Lexus create so revolutionary in the past 5 years?
It seems that, while other manufactures, create new types headlights, such as laser light technology, safety features, turbo engines, Lexus is just trying to catch up and even doing so, it is not doing a great job.
Old 08-09-15, 07:03 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Interesting posts in here. I for one don't count on Lexus for innovation. I just expect them to have perfected the tech by the time it reaches their cars, unlike other automakers.
Old 08-09-15, 08:53 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Besides the LFA, what did Lexus create so revolutionary in the past 5 years?
Really? At what? I haven't seen anything from the LFA trickle down to lesser Lexus models. In fact, Lexus is finally just getting into Turbos and they are finally ditching engines from circa 2005 (or are they?).
Old 08-09-15, 09:01 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You don't think that the Audi A5 and S5 are beautiful coupes? IMO, the designers who came up with this body styling should get an award.....except maybe for the too-large grille.

I don't think who ever did the facelift should get an award at all. The original front end was much better, imo:

Old 08-10-15, 01:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I don't think who ever did the facelift should get an award at all. The original front end was much better, imo:

I agree the grille has grown too large since then...but the rest of the car is plain gorgeous.
Old 08-10-15, 02:46 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

The grille is the same size...
Old 08-12-15, 10:53 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting posts in here. I for one don't count on Lexus for innovation. I just expect them to have perfected the tech by the time it reaches their cars, unlike other automakers.
I don't think you realize just how many world's firsts Lexus/Toyota had debuted between year 2000 and 2006 while maintaining an enviable reliability track record. Sadly Lexus's leadership in innovation came to a screeching halt after Toyota's massive recall-gate embarrassment, and they have since become allergic to bringing anything new to the table, or even catching up to what everyone else already offers.

Last edited by ydooby; 08-12-15 at 11:08 AM.
Old 08-12-15, 11:22 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
I don't think you realize just how many world's firsts Lexus/Toyota had debuted between year 2000 and 2006 while maintaining an enviable reliability track record. Sadly Lexus's leadership in innovation came to a screeching halt after Toyota's massive recall-gate embarrassment, and they have since become allergic to bringing anything new to the table, or even catching up to what everyone else already offers.
What world first? I'm a big Toy/Lex fan and I don't recall or remember that many.
Old 08-12-15, 11:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The grille is the same size...
Yes, I'm aware of that, but, because it went to one piece instead of being split by the thick bar, it gives the appearance of a much larger grille. Toyota and Lexus have done pretty much the same (though more elongated) effects with the spindle-grille outlines.

Quick Reply: Lexus ranks 10th in appealing luxury brands according to JD Powers