Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The future of car engines / pricing

Old 08-03-15, 03:25 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by wildeklave
2 - You pay for horsepower - a 300 HP engine costs more than a 200 HP engine although the more powerful engine is less efficient and you will pay more for gas
Engine for engine perhaps, but vehicle to vehicle not always. A Mustang GT with 435hp $32,700 base is cheaper than a CLA 45 AMG with 355hp $48,500 base

3 - Hybrids cost more than conventional engines
Not with the Lincoln MKZ which is a no cost option. Base price = $35,190 regardless of hybrid or Non

I find 3 interesting since hybrids are more efficient and the US Govt subsidies have gone away for consumers. They now only exist for EV models (ie. Nissan Leaf or Tesla)
Because people are buying them now and they aren't the dark horse they once were. Subsidies still exist for Plug-In Hybrid vehicles that have an ICE and EV range.
Old 08-03-15, 03:25 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I'd like to pull this thread back to the topic of engines.
As far as I'm concerned, the Verano is based on the Cruze, I will not back off that claim The Opel, Cruze and Verano all come off the Delta II platform. But I do agree, let's get back to engines.
Old 08-03-15, 03:27 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Engine for engine perhaps, but vehicle to vehicle not always. A Mustang GT with 435hp $32,700 base is cheaper than a CLA 45 AMG with 355hp $48,500 base

Not with the Lincoln MKZ which is a no cost option. Base price = $35,190 regardless of hybrid or Non

Because people are buying them now and they aren't the dark horse they once were. Subsidies still exist for Plug-In Hybrid vehicles that have an ICE and EV range.
The high HP mustang will cost more than the lower HP mustang. So you do pay more for HP
Old 08-03-15, 05:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The high HP mustang will cost more than the lower HP mustang. So you do pay more for HP
True, but Ford can also get higher prices for the V8 Mustang GT (over the V6 version) simply because of the GT's wide popularity, not just because it has a larger engine and more equipment on it that costs more to produce.....although production costs are indeed part of it.
Old 08-03-15, 06:43 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
True, but Ford can also get higher prices for the V8 Mustang GT (over the V6 version) simply because of the GT's wide popularity, not just because it has a larger engine and more equipment on it that costs more to produce.....although production costs are indeed part of it.
No, It is the larger engine and other equipment added that allow Ford to charge more, and it so happens that it coats more.
Old 08-03-15, 08:31 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
In the same car sure, but note above, vehicle to vehicle it can differ so it's not always true.
Old 08-03-15, 10:51 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While driving my NX today in some local traffic and seeing my mpg since last refill drop I was thinking that my 235 hp engine combined with hybrid tech for city traffic or cruising can be nice and probably lift the avg mpg on my vehicle from around 25 to 30 or higher.
Doesn't get NX300h get close to 30mpg? I believe it's rated at 33mpg combined. Granted, it has a bit less hp. Surprisingly, it's not that big of a jump over an RX450h in mpg numbers.

#2 is interesting. I'm watching Honda's development of their latest full hybrid system (The one in the Accord and RLX). The RLX's application is probably what Lexus should've done if they wanted to go the performance route (I'm looking at you, GS450h). It's an AWD hybrid setup with independent rear electric motors that can send power to each of the rear wheels independently and can brake (by regeneration) to improve cornering characteristics (better cornering + regen some energy back to the battery without using the brake pads? win-win IMO)
Old 08-04-15, 06:25 AM
wildeklave
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

going back to the original topic I am saying that I think at some point the base engine for a motor vehicle company will be the Prius style Eco hybrid. When you step up to advanced models you will add more of a sport hybrid. Then the elite line will be an elite all gas style engine like in the top line vehicles (ie. Lexus RC-F or even the Lexus LS).

for MPG
Eco hybrid will be like a Prius - 50 mpg
regular hybrid will be like the NX or Camry hybrid - 35 to 40 mpg with about 200 hp
Sport hybrid will be like an Infiniti Q50 or Acura RLX hybrid - 30-33 mpg while delivering over 300 hp
Traditional sport engine like a Lexus RC-F or Lexus LS - 20-24 mpg while delivering superior horsepower
Old 08-04-15, 10:41 AM
Hoovey689

going back to the original topic I am saying that I think at some point the base engine for a motor vehicle company will be the Prius style Eco hybrid. When you step up to advanced models you will add more of a sport hybrid. Then the elite line will be an elite all gas style engine like in the top line vehicles (ie. Lexus RC-F or even the Lexus LS).
Unless there is some government mandate forcing automakers to organize their powertrains in the same order, automakers will do what they want
Old 08-04-15, 02:20 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

i'm not sure why you think it will change from the way it is today.

hybrid tech isn't free and 'base engines' are likely to stay normally aspirated or turbocharged (latter also not free, but less expensive than hybrid gear).

hybrid tech will be on specialty economy cars like prius, and internal combustion engines (are) will continue to be be used as generators on cars like the volt, i3, and i8.

and as you probably know, hybrid is now making a big push on exotics, where cost is pretty much not an issue. this is not for fuel economy, but it is for dramatic performance from brands like porsche (918) and ferrari (la ferrari, i believe).

besides that hybrid just doesn't make much of a dent because it's EXPENSIVE to implement so the value add on 'regular' vehicles isn't there. hybrid obviously has other wins like quiet take off, some nice extra low/mid punch, and of course, better fuel economy, but it's a big up front cost for those benefits.

Eco hybrid will be like a Prius - 50 mpg
regular hybrid will be like the NX or Camry hybrid - 35 to 40 mpg with about 200 hp
Sport hybrid will be like an Infiniti Q50 or Acura RLX hybrid - 30-33 mpg while delivering over 300 hp
Traditional sport engine like a Lexus RC-F or Lexus LS - 20-24 mpg while delivering superior horsepower
pretty much agree except hybrid cars like q50/rlx just don't sell.
Old 08-04-15, 04:56 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

more turbocharged engines that wont live up to the mpg figures and will be lowsy to drive

less and less V8s (why do you think I bought a GT?)