Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota/Lexus Goes Turbo & Improves Infotainment System

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-15, 09:54 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
That's one thing I do appreciate about Tesla. They listen to their customers and are constantly updating the infotainment software in their cars.

Seems like when you take your Tesla in for service, you don't get an oil change, they give you a software patch and update lol. I've also heard that they have offered software updates on their earlier production cars for free, fixes that take care of problems customers have complained about, like the fiddley door handles that pop out.
We'll see what happens if Tesla ever sells in mainstream numbers...
Old 08-03-15, 03:31 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

MB and BMW seem to be doing quite well with their turbo engines replacing larger and thirstier NA motors. No reason why Toyota should be so far behind.

In terms of infotainment systems, I'm pretty sure Toyota values reliability above all else. Since car play and android auto both reside on top of a QNX base, I'm sure they'll implement both when the time comes.
Old 08-03-15, 11:23 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK so my question the benefits of turbo are? If Toyota & Honda are already getting 40+ mpg in their economy cars what's turbo going to do? 65+ mpg?
Old 08-04-15, 05:43 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by rxonmymind
OK so my question the benefits of turbo are? If Toyota & Honda are already getting 40+ mpg in their economy cars what's turbo going to do? 65+ mpg?
the benefits aren't really fuel economy, they obviously allow an engine to produce more power by forced induction but modern turbo engines are designed to have a dual personality, so the turbo stays out of things when the car is driven sedately, and gets completely into things when the toe goes down on the gas. so a vehicle can have a smaller engine than it's non-turbo counterpart, so that when driven sedately, the smaller turbo engine will deliver higher fuel economy than the larger non-turbo one. ford is completely on board with this terming it 'ecoboost' implying you get the best of both worlds, power when wanted, and economy when not. it actually works pretty well overall. the trade-offs are that a smaller engine typically doesn't sound as nice, often isn't as smooth as its larger non-turbo counterpart (although huge strides in nvh have been made), and a turbo can generate enormous amounts of heat and stress so an engine must be made more stout to handle that (or risk reliability or longevity).
Old 08-04-15, 09:26 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

case in point, i don't think is250 is delivering either the power or the fuel economy of 328
Old 08-04-15, 02:40 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

But this is assuming that at least 50% of normal driving can be done off the boost (i.e. the smaller engine has enough torque for a good amount of city driving). Walking downtown, I can hear the turbos working on the 3 Series and Ford products as the drivers accelerate on a green light. If the turbos are working in those scenarios, there isn't much of a gain in real world city driving, is there not?

Of course on the highway, you will be running on 4 cylinders rather than 6 cylinders so there are gains there even before factoring in transmission gearing.
Old 08-04-15, 09:00 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
case in point, i don't think is250 is delivering either the power or the fuel economy of 328
Well that engine debuted back in model year 2006, and even back then it was a turd IMO in terms of efficiency, horsepower, and fuel economy.
Old 08-04-15, 09:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Well that engine debuted back in model year 2006, and even back then it was a turd IMO in terms of efficiency, horsepower, and fuel economy.
doesn't matter, still in production.

or another angle, what are the NA engine option out there that come close to say 328 on power and fuel economy?
Old 08-04-15, 10:55 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bitkahuna thanks for the insight. However if I were a manufacture required to meet some mpg standard then I'd opt for cylinder deactivation while still maintain real mpg. If were basically just playing a numbers game with the feds then let's say an eight cylinder goes to four do the math and submit the est mpg under the four cylinder thus achieving the same goal. Why mess with turbo?
Old 08-05-15, 03:35 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Nextourer
But this is assuming that at least 50% of normal driving can be done off the boost (i.e. the smaller engine has enough torque for a good amount of city driving). Walking downtown, I can hear the turbos working on the 3 Series and Ford products as the drivers accelerate on a green light. If the turbos are working in those scenarios, there isn't much of a gain in real world city driving, is there not?

Of course on the highway, you will be running on 4 cylinders rather than 6 cylinders so there are gains there even before factoring in transmission gearing.
i think it depends on turbo engine as well... there are big differences between different turbo engines, maybe even bigger than differences between NA engines.

For instance, in NX comparo, all the turbos were supposed to be very similar in fuel consumption, but in reality differences were huge. For instance where XC60 with new turbo was supposed to have best mpg according to EPA, it had the worst and NX had the best - difference in MT tests was 20.9 vs 23.9 MPG - which is as big as it gets for same type of vehicle and almost the same specs.

Of course, when comparing to NA engines, it is also very important that NA engine is state of the art engine... which they usually are not, especially smaller ones... instead they are used for base options so possible advanced features are removed.
Old 08-05-15, 09:17 AM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Toyota chooses Telenav over Apple CarPlay or Android Auto

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/08/05/t...auto-official/

Last edited by bitkahuna; 08-05-15 at 09:26 AM.
Old 08-05-15, 09:26 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

evident, thanks for the link, but please post what a link is about in future so people don't have to click to find out what it's about.
Old 08-06-15, 02:36 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by evident
Toyota chooses Telenav over Apple CarPlay or Android Auto

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/08/05/t...auto-official/
More info:
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300121157.html
Old 08-12-15, 09:31 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

In all the years I have followed Toyota. I have never seem them do this one:

2016 Tundra gets a larger 144 litre fuel tank. My golly!
Old 08-14-15, 04:39 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
In all the years I have followed Toyota. I have never seem them do this one:

2016 Tundra gets a larger 144 litre fuel tank. My golly!
Wait, what?!?

$1.30/litre *144 litres = $187.20 tank (Granted, you'll fill up before the light comes on so it won't be a 144 litre fill).

Quick Reply: Toyota/Lexus Goes Turbo & Improves Infotainment System