Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota/Lexus Goes Turbo & Improves Infotainment System

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-15, 08:43 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
200hp D4S version will be nice for sure... 2.0t will still have massivly more torque at below and this is important because when you drive a non-sport vehicle, you dont want to have to gun it to 6000 RPM to get the power... in 2.0t, you have maximum torque at 1650rpm already and massive amounts of it at below that... so at "smooth" speeds, you have massive torque and difference is feel is huge. This is what non-d4s versions of GR did not have, you had to gun them to be fast. Plus it is cheaper too.

Now, 2GR-FSE with Atkinson like what RX is getting, to me, thats superior powertrain to 2.0t but at the same time, it is also a lot more expensive too. Differences wont be that much in power, because torque down below and almost nobody driving RX between 4000 and 6000 rpm, but in initial response which will be superior in non-FI vehicle always. I think Camry buyer might appreciate $1k cheaper 2.0t over existing V6 plus better mpg.
Fine fine different people desire different power delivery. I find the 2GR pretty torque even down low in the rpm range. But how do you explain to a shopper to take the camry that may have less power than a comparable accord, which may put out more power from their 2T (all speculation)?

Drove my gf's NX 200t and I can't say I'm impressed. It just feels lacking off the line, even though it had more torque than my 2011 RX. It was fine at highway passing speeds and midrange was responsive.
Old 07-29-15, 11:01 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
200hp D4S version will be nice for sure... 2.0t will still have massivly more torque at below and this is important because when you drive a non-sport vehicle, you dont want to have to gun it to 6000 RPM to get the power... in 2.0t, you have maximum torque at 1650rpm already and massive amounts of it at below that... so at "smooth" speeds, you have massive torque and difference is feel is huge. This is what non-d4s versions of GR did not have, you had to gun them to be fast. Plus it is cheaper too.

Now, 2GR-FSE with Atkinson like what RX is getting, to me, thats superior powertrain to 2.0t but at the same time, it is also a lot more expensive too. Differences wont be that much in power, because torque down below and almost nobody driving RX between 4000 and 6000 rpm, but in initial response which will be superior in non-FI vehicle always. I think Camry buyer might appreciate $1k cheaper 2.0t over existing V6 plus better mpg.
Yeah but does that mean spooling up the turbo all the time to access that torque?
Old 07-29-15, 11:19 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Yeah but does that mean spooling up the turbo all the time to access that torque?
Yes, it does. If driven conservatively the small turbos deliver decent fuel economy, close to their estimates. If not, the gas mileage drops quickly.

A while back Consumer Reports had an article showing how close cars they tested came to their EPA estimates. In it 20% of the small turbo engine cars missed their estimates by 10% or more and 50% of the hybrids missed theirs by 10% or more. They mentioned that both types required a certain technique to maximize fuel efficiency while regular gas engines not so much.
Old 07-29-15, 12:52 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

you have to drive a turbo even more perfectly than NA. Leadfooters will fare even worse on turbo cars mpg wise
Old 07-29-15, 03:54 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
you have to drive a turbo even more perfectly than NA. Leadfooters will fare even worse on turbo cars mpg wise
That is true for both a turbo and a NA engine. You have to drive the 3.5 pretty relaxed ththe claimed MPG iin what Toyota says.
Old 07-29-15, 04:54 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Yes, it does. If driven conservatively the small turbos deliver decent fuel economy, close to their estimates. If not, the gas mileage drops quickly.

A while back Consumer Reports had an article showing how close cars they tested came to their EPA estimates. In it 20% of the small turbo engine cars missed their estimates by 10% or more and 50% of the hybrids missed theirs by 10% or more. They mentioned that both types required a certain technique to maximize fuel efficiency while regular gas engines not so much.
So now it comes to driver/owner education . I suspect there's a reasonably sized population that just expects things to work with no effort on their part (We can thank Apple for that ). Cars a bit more complex than a phone/tablet though.

Those numbers seem reasonable. There's a bigger difference (or bigger gas saving) between engine on and engine off versus forced induction (turbo in use) or NA (staying off the turbo).
Old 07-29-15, 04:59 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

drive like grandma and drive downhill.

epa achieved.
Old 07-29-15, 05:07 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nextourer
I suspect there's a reasonably sized population that just expects things to work with no effort on their part (We can thank Apple for that ). Cars a bit more complex than a phone/tablet though.
Yeah right, tthe latest incarnation of iTunes sucks beyond belief. It has become the most frustrating system just to manually add playlists to my iPod. I had to go to a 3rd party system to add podcasts manually.
Old 07-31-15, 12:06 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Toyota continues to resist Android Auto / Apple CarPlay

Toyota and Telenav are announcing today that certain 2016 vehicles will be the first to support Scout GPS Link, a feature that ferries route and destination information between the dashboard and a version of Telenav's Scout app for iPhone and Android. Scout already has an in-car turn-by-turn mode that you can use directly on your phone, but this makes it easier — all the interactions (including voice commands) happen through the car's display and audio system instead of the phone's.

If this sounds a little familiar, it should: Toyota recently entered an agreement with Ford to explore the use of its SmartDeviceLink technology, which — like Scout GPS Link — lets Toyota maintain control over its user interface in a way that Apple's CarPlay and Google's Android Auto do not. It's been a point of contention for a number of major automakers, who generally believe that they should control the connected car experience rather than farming it out to third parties; Volkswagen didn't commit to offering CarPlay or Android Auto until this year, Ford hasn't given an exact timeline, and BMW still thinks that its own platform is the way to go. This quote from Sal Dhanni, president of Telenav's automotive unit, is telling: "Scout GPS Link provides a flexible brought-in platform that enables car makers to customize the in-car experience to meet their customer needs."

Of course, Scout GPS Link is strictly for navigation, so it doesn't offer the flexibility of a CarPlay or an Android Auto — this is primarily in Toyota's interest, which can boast that it has a new connectivity point between its cars and drivers' phones. For one of the world's largest automakers, the next question will be whether support for Apple and Google in the dashboard will become a must-have for drivers cross-shopping Camrys against Passats and Malibus.
http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/30/90...scout-gps-link
Old 07-31-15, 04:34 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

the next question will be whether support for Apple and Google in the dashboard will become a must-have for drivers cross-shopping Camrys against Passats and Malibus.
After much resistance, they'll probably cave. Much like this thread and the announcement of a turbo for the Camry (didn't they swear to keep NA for awhile?), only a matter of time. They already incorporate Siri Eyes Free in most new Lexus's so I see them taking the CarPlay route, but they certainly should add Android Auto too. Honestly though as long as the car has Bluetooth Audio, that's all I really need.
Old 07-31-15, 06:09 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
After much resistance, they'll probably cave. Much like this thread and the announcement of a turbo for the Camry (didn't they swear to keep NA for awhile?), only a matter of time. They already incorporate Siri Eyes Free in most new Lexus's so I see them taking the CarPlay route, but they certainly should add Android Auto too. Honestly though as long as the car has Bluetooth Audio, that's all I really need.
We will have to see. Outside of the Apple iPhone, the other products do often struggle or start to fall in sales. Toyota is staying out because perhaps they see customer satisfaction issues with both the systems. As long as the system projects to the car, it may have issues IMO. Car play or Android have to be built into the cars head unit IMO.
Old 07-31-15, 09:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
considering how long it took them to cave in to apple (ipod), i can see it takes them time to get to android as well. and yes, same thing with turbo, just a matter of time
Old 07-31-15, 10:19 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Considering the 2016 Honda Accord will have both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, I think Toyota will give in sooner than most think.
Old 07-31-15, 10:21 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Lexus is a very late bloomer in terms of infotainment tech. For a brand that is putting so much emphasis on younger buyers who expect constant software updates, they are behind. Tesla is definitely leading in that realm.
Old 08-01-15, 12:04 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
Lexus is a very late bloomer in terms of infotainment tech. For a brand that is putting so much emphasis on younger buyers who expect constant software updates, they are behind. Tesla is definitely leading in that realm.
That's one thing I do appreciate about Tesla. They listen to their customers and are constantly updating the infotainment software in their cars.

Seems like when you take your Tesla in for service, you don't get an oil change, they give you a software patch and update lol. I've also heard that they have offered software updates on their earlier production cars for free, fixes that take care of problems customers have complained about, like the fiddley door handles that pop out.

Quick Reply: Toyota/Lexus Goes Turbo & Improves Infotainment System