Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why doesn't toyota or lexus have diesels in the United states

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-15, 01:35 AM
Fromthesha
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Some places that's true, but diesel fuel, in general, is still harder to find than gas.

OK, it may be cheaper, but is it factory-approved fluid, and is it adequate for the job? One can also buy cheap motor-oil in those stores that doesn't meet factory or SAE standards, or cheap cut-rate gasoline brands that don't have the necessary detergent additives in them to keep engines and fuel-systems clean.
In Los Angeles, where we have One if the largest car buying pop's in the nation, diesel fuel is everywhere. So thats not a reason to reject it here. Neither is the infrequent need for a urea exchange.

Its the price premium ppl need to pay to get into a diesel model. Its doesnt pencil in gas savings over the life if the car.

Hybrids havent helped matters for diesel. Yes you can get more than 50mpg in a vw golf, if you are on the highway for a long stretch. With a prius. You will get about 50mpg no matter where you drive it, and prius's are really cheap. My wife has one. Gets better mpg than my motorcycle (liter bike ) !
Old 08-03-15, 02:38 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Levi68
Because even in other markets, such as Europe TMC does not have any diesels except for the off-road cars and other have BMW diesel engines in them.
of course they do... BMW diesels is only a recent thing that replaced AD engines only due to EuroVI upcoming changes.... but best seller in Europe is still 1.4 d4d from Toyota and there are other markets that offer diesels in larger vehicles.

New diesels for truck based vehicles are going to be sold in Japan even and not only that, but their yearly diesel sales are around 1 million for TMC. Thats pretty large number, they are one of the largest diesel engine producers in the world.

TMC being TMC though, they will not create new engine just for 20,000 sales per year in the USA. They might buy one from Cummins if rumors are correct though.
Old 08-03-15, 10:34 AM
MSTEnginer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
of course they do... BMW diesels is only a recent thing that replaced AD engines only due to EuroVI upcoming changes.... but best seller in Europe is still 1.4 d4d from Toyota and there are other markets that offer diesels in larger vehicles.

New diesels for truck based vehicles are going to be sold in Japan even and not only that, but their yearly diesel sales are around 1 million for TMC. Thats pretty large number, they are one of the largest diesel engine producers in the world.

TMC being TMC though, they will not create new engine just for 20,000 sales per year in the USA. They might buy one from Cummins if rumors are correct though.
As much as I would love to see a Cummins Tundra its not going to happen. Toyota barely makes money on the Tundra as it is and adding more cost and variation to the line-up would only shrink that.

As far as Lexus models I think that TMS rightly or wrongly believes most luxury customer prefer the added refinement of gas engine over a diesel.
Old 08-03-15, 10:47 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by MSTEnginer
As much as I would love to see a Cummins Tundra its not going to happen. Toyota barely makes money on the Tundra as it is and adding more cost and variation to the line-up would only shrink that.

As far as Lexus models I think that TMS rightly or wrongly believes most luxury customer prefer the added refinement of gas engine over a diesel.
I Highly doubt Toyota does not make money on the Tundra. The profit margins are huge on full size trucks
Old 08-03-15, 11:06 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I Highly doubt Toyota does not make money on the Tundra. The profit margins are huge on full size trucks
not sure if they actually make money on them or not but sales of the full sized Tundra have always been underachieving since the San Antonio plant opened, so much that they added Tacoma manufacturing there in 2010 to better utilize the plant.
Old 08-03-15, 12:00 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
not sure if they actually make money on them or not but sales of the full sized Tundra have always been underachieving since the San Antonio plant opened, so much that they added Tacoma manufacturing there in 2010 to better utilize the plant.

I am sure they lost some money on the first years when they were making them at Indiana and Texas, but now they pretty much have a vehicle that is in its 9th MY and the tooling is long paid off, consolidated with the Tacoma, I bet they are making Mega profits at this point.
Old 08-03-15, 12:16 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I am sure they lost some money on the first years when they were making them at Indiana and Texas, but now they pretty much have a vehicle that is in its 9th MY and the tooling is long paid off, consolidated with the Tacoma, I bet they are making Mega profits at this point.
I don't think the Tundra is making mega profits....I mean there was talk of them throwing in the towel -- maybe the plant is with other vehicles production there, but I read a few articles like this...

http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...he-tundra.aspx
Old 08-03-15, 03:05 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Diesel engines are super expensive to R&D and build and certify for all the regulations in the US. The older diesels Toyota does use would be cost prohibitive to build for the US market.

Also with Europe's increasing focus on particulate emissions due to increasing smog in cities (reports now saying worse than China's major cities) the diesel engine I think will die a slow death on the consumer market.

While I would love for Toyota to but a torquey diesel in its trucks, I'm not going to hold my breath. They're running full speed ahead with hybrid tech.