Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Chief Engineer Talks GS F Performance and Goals

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-15, 07:22 AM
PhantomV
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Performance for them, i would have to agree, is mid-sport range. Granted this car will probably handle really well just like the GS350, the Cadillac CTS-V will punish this along with the other AMG/M series. why make a "performance" car that can't compete with its rivals? but with its rivals sub-super car siblings? come on Lexus, at least update the motor. When they said " but the average person doesn’t really know exactly how much 500-horsepower really is, especially to live with day-to-day." it confused me because the "average" person is not the one buying these types of cars it's for those who want all they can get out of their cars and then some. if they keep this is the for average person mentality they'll never be any competition for the other performance brands.
Old 07-24-15, 07:53 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
When you currently have no means or options to go head to head with your competitors surely you can do it in a vacuum like you said and then have a sales pitch like that video above.

On the contrary GS-F should behave like RC-F but since its a full featured four door its actually a benefit over its coupe counterpart. It should be competitive against likes of CLS550 or S6 or CTS V-Sport.
Hmmm I think I said can't. Yes a sales pitch is required but reality will set in once reviews come out. It will be an average performance car when compared to its competitors if the RCF is anything to go by.
Old 07-24-15, 10:25 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

There is no E550 anymore, at least not in current generation anyway.
yes i know (which is also very unfortunate). i am just saying from the car point of view, the cls is too much of a coupe type car. just like how i would say a 550i would makes more sense than a 650gc
Old 07-24-15, 01:04 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomV
Performance for them, i would have to agree, is mid-sport range. Granted this car will probably handle really well just like the GS350, the Cadillac CTS-V will punish this along with the other AMG/M series. why make a "performance" car that can't compete with its rivals? but with its rivals sub-super car siblings? come on Lexus, at least update the motor. When they said " but the average person doesn’t really know exactly how much 500-horsepower really is, especially to live with day-to-day." it confused me because the "average" person is not the one buying these types of cars it's for those who want all they can get out of their cars and then some. if they keep this is the for average person mentality they'll never be any competition for the other performance brands.
because in their convoluted thinking...they dont have 'rivals'.
Old 07-24-15, 05:31 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Hmmm I think I said can't. Yes a sales pitch is required but reality will set in once reviews come out. It will be an average performance car when compared to its competitors if the RCF is anything to go by.
I know. That's why I said sales pitch cause that video is just an excuse why they didn't match the competitors so they had to come up with something.
Old 07-24-15, 05:56 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm sure toyota is capable of putting in twin turbo and boosting this to the moon.

I'm just not sure why they're holding back. I thought excess was the name of the game.

They have a point about the "fun to drive" priority though.
Old 07-24-15, 06:20 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
I'm sure toyota is capable of putting in twin turbo and boosting this to the moon.

I'm just not sure why they're holding back. I thought excess was the name of the game.

They have a point about the "fun to drive" priority though.
As lame an excuse as this is, these FI mills are probably just not ready
Old 07-24-15, 11:23 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomV
That's reflextive of the arrogance they have assuming the "teacher" know's more and has nothing to learn from the public.
As long as they continue to lock down their engines and restrict anyone to prevent modifications they'll continue to lack feedback from the public. As long as they are out of the SEMA aftermarket game they'll be a triple A team. Mercedes, BMW go to those and learn. It's a two way street. People should at their own risk push the limits of their engines at various sanctioned races. We all learn something this way especially with medium such as the internet and have SO MANY smart people who also know how, what and where things went wrong or right. It's akin to testing in a petri dish or lab and letting it go in nature that's the public.
I think Lexus has become introverted and that can do a lot of damage to a company.
One way out as I brought up in another thread is to tap into their racing engines that have tens of millions in R&D to help propel Lexus to new heights and make them a real contender. That's their ace. Perhaps I'm wrong but to compete with the likes of Mercedes or BMW in the "sport" segment they can not continue on this path. They will always be in a solid 3rd or 4th place.
Old 07-25-15, 07:07 AM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you currently have no means or options to go head to head with your competitors surely you can do it in a vacuum like you said and then have a sales pitch like that video above.

On the contrary GS-F should behave like RC-F but since its a full featured four door its actually a benefit over its coupe counterpart. It should be competitive against likes of CLS550 or S6 or CTS V-Sport.
From what we know about the CTS-V, Lexus will get smoked by that in comparison tests
Old 07-25-15, 05:34 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Will it come with the hoverboard?
Old 07-26-15, 10:22 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

GS-F will be a disappointment just like the RC-F as far as performance in acceleration, braking and other performance tests. Reliability is the only thing that will make the final decision for buyers if its priced near competitors but when buying brand new with warranty, i dont see how anyone would choose the lexus.
Old 07-26-15, 10:35 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

it will sell to those who are already loyal to the brand.
Old 07-27-15, 07:15 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

I do have a feeling these are stopgap products and stopgap engines. Lexus most likely didn't want to introduce brand new performance engines in the lower end of the segment. New high performance "F" brands with high power turbo engines will probably debut with the "LS-F" and "LC-F" and get filtered down to the lower end models. We will see true Lexus performance cars within the next 3-5yrs. I hope.
Old 07-27-15, 09:54 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

^
You don't build an enthusiast following by making LSF.

You need to start with lower models like they did with ISF and work their way up.
The problem with Lexus is they dont really care about F models or performance in general. They only care about profits.

There is no reasonable explanation that Lexus has for not bringing out an new ISF.
There is no explanation why the RCF is a mishmash of 3 different chassis.
There is no explanation why after 8 years of development - the same exact V8 engine is being used with only a small 50hp power bump for the F cars.
There is no explanation for the GSF being down over 100hp compared to its rivals.....

Toyota / Lexus is just not into performance cars at all.
All you need is to look at new Supra which is basically completely developed by BMW.
Old 07-27-15, 11:40 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

my opinions

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
^
You don't build an enthusiast following by making LSF.

You need to start with lower models like they did with ISF and work their way up.
The problem with Lexus is they dont really care about F models or performance in general. They only care about profits.

There is no reasonable explanation that Lexus has for not bringing out an new ISF. -- when you have poor product planning and design a car that can't fit a v8 (again)
There is no explanation why the RCF is a mishmash of 3 different chassis. -- when you have a IS chassis that doesn't work and accounting department ignores your calls
There is no explanation why after 8 years of development - the same exact V8 engine is being used with only a small 50hp power bump for the F cars. -- when your r&d department is slow on FI and you run out of other outlets, limiting to evolve around the same base
There is no explanation for the GSF being down over 100hp compared to its rivals..... -- when accounting department still ignores your calls

Toyota / Lexus is just not into performance cars at all.
All you need is to look at new Supra which is basically completely developed by BMW.
but yes, to build enthusiast group you start with cars that makes an impact like IS and GS, not LS. i still hope lexus can turn this around, it's just a little hard for me to understand sometimes