Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Chief Engineer Talks GS F Performance and Goals

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-15, 03:45 PM
adpock
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus Chief Engineer Talks GS F Performance and Goals

Lexus's chief engineer talks about the GS F and what it takes for a performance car to carry the vaunted F badge.

Read the rest on the Club Lexus homepage. >>
Old 07-23-15, 08:06 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Its unfortunate but you cant design or review a car in a vacuum. It should and will always be compared to its competitors.
Old 07-23-15, 09:03 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Its unfortunate but you cant design or review a car in a vacuum. It should and will always be compared to its competitors.
When you currently have no means or options to go head to head with your competitors surely you can do it in a vacuum like you said and then have a sales pitch like that video above.

On the contrary GS-F should behave like RC-F but since its a full featured four door its actually a benefit over its coupe counterpart. It should be competitive against likes of CLS550 or S6 or CTS V-Sport.
Old 07-23-15, 09:40 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
When you currently have no means or options to go head to head with your competitors surely you can do it in a vacuum like you said and then have a sales pitch like that video above.

On the contrary GS-F should behave like RC-F but since its a full featured four door its actually a benefit over its coupe counterpart. It should be competitive against likes of CLS550 or S6 or CTS V-Sport.
Don't forget the 550i M-Sport
Old 07-23-15, 10:48 AM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi

It will only compete with those cars if it's priced competitively with them.
Old 07-23-15, 12:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

e550 i can see, i don't see how the cls550 is in the picture when that's a coupe design
Old 07-23-15, 12:56 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I have no faith in the Lexus GS F. I feel their F cars are a half attempt at making something that is truly compelling compared to what is offered at MB, BMW, of Audi.

The idea that Lexus is using the same 5.0 that they used since 2008 is not acceptable.

Why can't we have a bi-turbo V6/V8 like the competition has.
Old 07-23-15, 02:16 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I don't think the GS-F will be much of a threat to a M5, AMG, or RS power or performance wise but I think if they price it right there could be a decent market for a mid level high performance sedan between a V8 5 series/E class and the M5, AMG models. If it is priced around 75-79K that is a hell of a lot of car for the money, I agree if they are not going to push the hp envelope and compete full on with AMG/M cars then it is suicidal to price it anywhere near those cars but if they push how much car you get for the money they could have something.

Lexus is just not in the brand position to be selling a $100K full on AMG/M class competitor anyway so even if it had the huge power/performance of the Germans it is likely going to fail if it is priced at or really close to those cars.
Old 07-23-15, 02:40 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by UDel
I don't think the GS-F will be much of a threat to a M5, AMG, or RS power or performance wise but I think if they price it right there could be a decent market for a mid level high performance sedan between a V8 5 series/E class and the M5, AMG models. If it is priced around 75-79K that is a hell of a lot of car for the money, I agree if they are not going to push the hp envelope and compete full on with AMG/M cars then it is suicidal to price it anywhere near those cars but if they push how much car you get for the money they could have something.

Lexus is just not in the brand position to be selling a $100K full on AMG/M class competitor anyway so even if it had the huge power/performance of the Germans it is likely going to fail if it is priced at or really close to those cars.
We'll have to revisit this when the 5LS and LC debut. Hopefully taking Luxury, Power and Prestige to new heights for Lexus.
Old 07-23-15, 04:09 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
We'll have to revisit this when the 5LS and LC debut. Hopefully taking Luxury, Power and Prestige to new heights for Lexus.
LS is a full position above the GS, I was talking about being in the brand position to sell a $100K mid level/executive performance sedan. I hope the new LS is not going to be priced around 100K though, I don't think that is a going to work either.
Old 07-23-15, 04:35 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow the way they make excuses for their failure is almost sadder than acura.
Old 07-23-15, 04:38 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by UDel
LS is a full position above the GS, I was talking about being in the brand position to sell a $100K mid level/executive performance sedan. I hope the new LS is not going to be priced around 100K though, I don't think that is a going to work either.
Oh gotcha. I don't see the brand image/position improving until the LS and LC debut though which would start to give credibility for six figure Lexus vehicles. Meaning we'd have to wait and see the 5GS for any real threat to the higher end competition competing in the mid level/executive segment.

GS F is still bound to be a hoot to drive though.
Old 07-23-15, 05:43 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Can't wait to hear Jeremy clarkson's review of the GSF on netflix
Old 07-24-15, 12:26 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormwind
wow the way they make excuses for their failure is almost sadder than acura.
What do you mean you mean by that? I am not impressed at all with Lexus F. F sport I like a lot.
Old 07-24-15, 03:53 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
e550 i can see, i don't see how the cls550 is in the picture when that's a coupe design
There is no E550 anymore, at least not in current generation anyway.

Quick Reply: Lexus Chief Engineer Talks GS F Performance and Goals