Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Biggest Lexus Dealership in U.S. Boasts Theater, Gym, and More

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-15, 07:15 PM
adpock
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Biggest Lexus Dealership in U.S. Boasts Theater, Gym, and More

Bob Rohrman's Lexus of Arlington is now the largest Lexus dealership in the United States. We're talking 170,000 square feet situated on 40-acres, with 14-acres reserved strictly for parking Bob's 1500-car fleet, large.

Read the rest on the Club Lexus homepage. >>
Old 07-21-15, 08:05 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

He has been advertising the new shop with a yellow LFA on the show room floor (he must have bought this from another dealer as he had a red on camel one for sale for a long time).

I am confused to why this guy would build so big.

The big money around here is in the city, in the Northern suburbs and then a smaller patch to the West of the city (Hinsdale).

McGrath has the only dealership in the city and is over due for rebuilding that second rate shop. The Highland Park folks just built a nice new store to replace their tiny one (that sore is a fridge cash machine with all the loaded execs who live around there). McGrath also has a store to cover the area West of the city.

I would think having the biggest shop in the US would only make sense if places like FL, CA or GA. I guess a field trip to Palatine is in order.
Old 07-21-15, 08:05 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

It's pretty impressive.

But, I have always wondered if these dealers really make a difference. I'm sure the prices have to be higher because of all the amenities.
Old 07-21-15, 08:16 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

The Infiniti store I go to for service is pretty nice.

They have a real chef who makes breakfast and lunch (free with a service visit).

They also have ice cream and cookies, plenty of hot and cold drinks, popcorn and a movie theater.

Lots of folks come have a free car wash and hang out.

I miss the days of the plastic chaired, drafty waiting room at the Honda dealer service area.
Old 07-21-15, 08:29 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

bigger store, more overhead, higher prices for customers.

forget about getting a good deal on a car there.

There are only 2 main reasons to go to the dealer. To shop a car or get one fixed.

You're not going to be spending extra time at the dealer for stuff like croquet or old movies
Old 07-21-15, 08:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I thought Longo Lexus, in the L.A. region, was the largest. If Rohrman overtook them, it must have been pretty recent.
Old 07-21-15, 09:18 PM
INTMD8
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 7 Posts

I got the tour last week. Amazing place!

Old 07-21-15, 09:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
He has been advertising the new shop with a yellow LFA on the show room floor (he must have bought this from another dealer as he had a red on camel one for sale for a long time).

I am confused to why this guy would build so big.

The big money around here is in the city, in the Northern suburbs and then a smaller patch to the West of the city (Hinsdale).

McGrath has the only dealership in the city and is over due for rebuilding that second rate shop. The Highland Park folks just built a nice new store to replace their tiny one (that sore is a fridge cash machine with all the loaded execs who live around there). McGrath also has a store to cover the area West of the city.

I would think having the biggest shop in the US would only make sense if places like FL, CA or GA. I guess a field trip to Palatine is in order.
kind of what i think too
Old 07-21-15, 10:05 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I thought Longo Lexus, in the L.A. region, was the largest. If Rohrman overtook them, it must have been pretty recent.
Longo is the largest in the Western United States in terms of units sold.

Lexus of Bellevue near Seattle is another huge Lexus dealership in terms of size of facility.

I grew up in the Palatine area and I know the Rohrman dealerships well. I was wondering when the new Lexus location would finally open, they've been working on it for a while.

For those thinking that the bigger store immediately means higher overhead and higher costs, I wouldn't say that's necessarily the case. It's the profits of the store to this point that have funded a lot of the construction. And not all car shoppers want the rock bottom price. Many luxury consumers want to be coddled and experience premium customer service. I still don't think i'd ever spend extra time at my dealership, but there are a number of people that are okay with it. They're the ones that like to go for the free car wash every Saturday, and while they wait for the wash, take in the free food, and apparently now a movie.

Having their entire inventory in a controlled garage can be a huge difference in the winter, people can stroll and find what they want in the heated garage. Salespeople don't need to spend time brushing snow off a car that's been waiting outdoors. Less washes needed in the summer for cars that are constantly outdoors and covered in pollen and getting rained on.
Old 07-22-15, 04:48 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Many luxury consumers want to be coddled and experience premium customer service. I still don't think i'd ever spend extra time at my dealership, but there are a number of people that are okay with it. They're the ones that like to go for the free car wash every Saturday, and while they wait for the wash, take in the free food, and apparently now a movie.

Whenever I go to Longo lexus, I just want to get the hell out of there immediately.

I don't want the free bottled water nor the free paint scratches.
Old 07-22-15, 06:36 AM
dmac250
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Not True

Got my last two lexus' there and my latest RC, got a great deal...could be that I am a returning customer but prices seem to be on par with everywhere else....find the right salesman and you are set.
Originally Posted by pman6
bigger store, more overhead, higher prices for customers.

forget about getting a good deal on a car there.

There are only 2 main reasons to go to the dealer. To shop a car or get one fixed.

You're not going to be spending extra time at the dealer for stuff like croquet or old movies
Old 07-22-15, 06:38 AM
dmac250
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Just did

They just moved into this location not to long ago....funny thing is they moved from right down the street of the old location....that one was small and cramped.
Originally Posted by mmarshall
Old 07-22-15, 06:39 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 615 Likes on 463 Posts

He's been around forever and owns like 30 dealerships. I think he's just showing off, now. I wish he would buy the Naperville dealer!
Old 07-22-15, 07:19 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
He's been around forever and owns like 30 dealerships. I think he's just showing off, now. I wish he would buy the Naperville dealer!
He reminds me of the old time car dealers with the goofy TV commercials and the owner being the on screen spokesman. The Lexus ads are toned down a bit though. It works though, he's been successful.
Old 07-22-15, 04:07 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

It may be nice but that just would make me never buy a Lexus there or take it to get serviced there because the customers are going to have to end pay for all those fancy upgrades. I would much rather the dealership be more plain and get a good deal/good prices on service then really fancy but paying more for the car/service work.

Quick Reply: Biggest Lexus Dealership in U.S. Boasts Theater, Gym, and More