Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Damage while serviced at Toyota

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-15, 04:57 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,209 Likes on 956 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Your very lucky they did anything for you, normally dealerships will just deny it was them but offer to fix it at their highly inflated rate/cost of course. That happened to me and my parents before.

One time when my parents got a oil change at the dealership the car came back with the hood crooked/gaps not lined up. After looking at it for a few minutes I knew exactly what happened even before I popped the hood. The hood struts in their car are going out and the hood only stays up for a few minutes before it falls, the person doing the oil change must have put a tool/light on the engine cover because I could see a mark on the engine cover and a mark on the underside of the hood and one of the lifting/lowering assemblies that the hood in connected to was bent so the hood strut gave out and fell on the tool/whatever was on the engine cover and bent the assembly causing the hood to be crooked/not lined up. The mechanic never bothered to put something to make sure the hood did not fall and cause damage which is common practice. Of course when my mom took it back they denied it was their fault even though there is no other way it could possibly have happened and I knew it was fine before she took it in because I washed the car the day before and would have noticed the damage.
It appears you're saying a car with failing hood supports was brought in but the shop wasn't warned about the issue. Were the supports so bad that it was obvious or did they seem fine until the hood falls without warning? Not really clear whose fault it was at this point? Why weren't the supports getting repaired? Lucky no one got their fingers amputated.
Old 07-22-15, 05:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

The issue here is not the fact that its a Toyota dealer, this happens at Lexus dealers all the time. I have had my Lexus vehicles damaged by Lexus dealers more than 5 times in the 17 years I've owned Lexus vehicles.

Originally Posted by swfla
It appears you're saying a car with failing hood supports was brought in but the shop wasn't warned about the issue. Were the supports so bad that it was obvious or did they seem fine until the hood falls without warning? Not really clear whose fault it was at this point? Why weren't the supports getting repaired? Lucky no one got their fingers amputated.
Agreed. If someone owns a car and they know that something doesn't operate properly, they have a responsibility to disclose that to the person working on the car.

It is not "common practice" to "put something under the hood in case the hood falls", I have never seen that done ever. The mechanic was not in the wrong by assuming the hood struts would work when he lifted the hood and it held there.
Old 07-23-15, 04:14 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

I agree about the dealerships. The level of care and concern is up to management to train the staff to the proper levels. It'd be nice if damage never happened, we expect higher levels of care from professionals. Cars are actually more prone to physical damage than 30 years ago. Thinner sheet metal or softer materials are to blame. To me, a dealer that shows they're trying to be Ritz Carlton level with service and will come through when there is a mistake is a good place to go. Toyota in Ocala, Fl rises to that level. There was an 80ish lady sitting next to me that was told her battery failed the load test and was replaced under warranty, N/C. They could have easily charged her and gotten away with it judging from her level of comprehension (age). I try not to vilify Lexus dealers unless they have done something to deserve it. Charging premium prices isn't wrong, it's a choice. Just like we have a choice to "vote" with our wallets and not patronize them. No grousing required.
Old 07-23-15, 07:32 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

To me, a dealer that shows they're trying to be Ritz Carlton level with service and will come through when there is a mistake is a good place to go. Toyota in Ocala, Fl rises to that level.
I'm usually one to give dealers the benefit of the doubt, I've taken a lot of heat on this forum for that as a matter of fact.

But, this I don't agree with. "showing they are trying to be Ritz Carlton level" with customer service would require far more than a quick, zero-cost, non-perfect repair to the damage that they caused to the vehicle. Unless you received some sort of service credit, or at least the service you were there for free in addition to that "repair" I would not consider that an above or beyond response to damage that they caused at all. Simply choosing not to screw over an old lady doesn't make them "over the top" either. Remember, they did not replace her battery for free, Toyota paid them to do it. Thats what a "Ritz Carlton level" of customer service is, over the top customer satisfaction at any cost when there is an issue.
Old 07-23-15, 10:43 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

My bad for using Ritz Carlton. How about Holiday Inn Express
Old 07-23-15, 11:09 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

I had an LS430 Ultra Pkg a few years back. While traveling thru my home town, I took my LS for a quick oil change at the local Lexus dealer which was merged with their Toyota dealer. It was basically a Toyota dealer with a little show room for like 3 cars inside for their Lexus Division. Anyways, One of their service writers, they claimed hit my LS's rear bumper with a Golf cart that cause the dent in the rear bumper about $1000 damage. They offered to replace my bumper and painted at no cost.. This is what you should be going for.. I didn't even ask them, they just owned up to it and got me a whole new bumper.. You shouldn't even have to ask.. its an LS460!

My thread - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-to-my-ls.html
Old 07-23-15, 01:47 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Hood struts failing is a very common issue especially on older cars/as cars age often with little to no warning, most owners are not going to know they are going out unless they are working on their cars. Dealerships and mechanics know that which is why they normally make sure there is a back up to hold the hood up in case they do when they are working under the hood for any period of time.

Last edited by UDel; 07-23-15 at 01:57 PM.
Old 07-23-15, 01:52 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
The issue here is not the fact that its a Toyota dealer, this happens at Lexus dealers all the time. I have had my Lexus vehicles damaged by Lexus dealers more than 5 times in the 17 years I've owned Lexus vehicles.

Agreed. If someone owns a car and they know that something doesn't operate properly, they have a responsibility to disclose that to the person working on the car.

It is not "common practice" to "put something under the hood in case the hood falls", I have never seen that done ever. The mechanic was not in the wrong by assuming the hood struts would work when he lifted the hood and it held there.
Yes it is. I had issues with my hood struts and told 5 separate Toyota/Lexus/private mechanics about it and every one said they always put something to keep the hood up because it is so common for hood struts to go out when they are working on cars.
Old 07-23-15, 03:40 PM
obturator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My bad for using Ritz Carlton. How about Holiday Inn Express

Haha. I got a dent in my car--but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express.
Old 07-23-15, 04:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDel
Hood struts failing is a very common issue especially on older cars/as cars age often with little to no warning, most owners are not going to know they are going out unless they are working on their cars. Dealerships and mechanics know that which is why they normally make sure there is a back up to hold the hood up in case they do when they are working under the hood for any period of time.
I have never seen a mechanic or dealership do this. Including when servicing old Lexus vehicles of mine which could very well have bad hood struts.

Yes it is. I had issues with my hood struts and told 5 separate Toyota/Lexus/private mechanics about it and every one said they always put something to keep the hood up because it is so common for hood struts to go out when they are working on cars.
Yeah...because you told them. Watch and see if unprompted they do that. I've spent plenty of time in Lexus dealers and shops, I have never seen any mechanic use such a failsafe measure unless the hood would actively not stay up. Never one time.
Old 07-24-15, 05:32 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
I had an LS430 Ultra Pkg a few years back. While traveling thru my home town, I took my LS for a quick oil change at the local Lexus dealer which was merged with their Toyota dealer. It was basically a Toyota dealer with a little show room for like 3 cars inside for their Lexus Division. Anyways, One of their service writers, they claimed hit my LS's rear bumper with a Golf cart that cause the dent in the rear bumper about $1000 damage. They offered to replace my bumper and painted at no cost.. This is what you should be going for.. I didn't even ask them, they just owned up to it and got me a whole new bumper.. You shouldn't even have to ask.. its an LS460!

My thread - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-to-my-ls.html
It would have been nice if both the dealer and I had caught the damage before I drove off. It was in a spot that's hard to see. But, I need to take part responsibility because once I leave, it can't be proven 100% that the dealer did it.
So, with that in mind. I decided to pick my battles. I fell that I won't see the slight imperfection every time I look at the car. I'm OK with that compared to the emotional impact of "doing battle" with someone who has the upper hand. Your mileage may vary.
Old 07-24-15, 06:59 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I also likely would have accepted that outcome vs a repainted bumper, which I would try and avoid, but I would have wanted to be refunded for that service as well.

The difference is, I would not have praised the way that dealer handled it. They did the bare minimum they could do to get you back out the door. Certainly not above and beyond, nor would I consider it "good" customer service to simply partially rectify their mistake.
Old 07-24-15, 09:15 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

When I took on a new job back in '80, the company leased a nice new Buick for me - and it was a really fine ride (well, within the company specs). But when I took it into a dealership about a half-mile from the office for its first oil change, I asked the service writer to look at three very minor problems. Very long story short, they fixed all three, but now the car had SIX problems, including scratches, door dings, and some mysterious overspray it didn't have when I drove it in.

The dealer had no solutions, just shrugged. I went to the Buick Zone Office where I filled out forms and they took pictures. I got a nice apology from the corporate office, but no resolution . . . other than to take it back to the dealer and let him fix it. I did. I left with NINE problems. This was going the wrong direction. I fixed the problems myself in the company's shop then had the whole thing detailed out.

I can't blame Buick because this happens everywhere you go. I've had even worse service on my Honda. They all seem to stem from service department policies of putting the newest, dumbest grease monkeys on the warranty work without supervision. I once had 12 brake jobs on my Mustang - 11 of which were under warranty as the brakes would fail within two blocks of driving it out of the shop. Yes, Ford heard about that one too - but couldn't help what was a "dealer's" problem. I finally took it to a franchise brake shop and they fixed the problem in 20 minutes . . . permanently. It was a huge leak caused by an "hourglassed" rear wheel cylinder that the Fordmonkey destroyed when he honed the cylinder by working the hone up and down rather than in and out. Not only did the Ford dealer create the problem, but after 10 returns, they couldn't even FIND it. I DID get 10 new master cylinders though . . .

OK, dealers aren't making any money on warranty service, so it makes financial sense to assign the lowest paid guys in the shop to the job. The problem is one of marketing. How do you expect someone who just plunked down thousands of dollars on a new car to be happy with truly miserable, incompetent service? Bet most folks will do what I did - abandon the dealership altogether - even if it meant driving 40 miles out of the way to another.
Old 07-24-15, 09:40 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

I'm willing to give the Toyota dealer another chance. The next time something happens, I won't be so easygoing and most likely take my business elsewhere. "Screw me once, shame on you, screw me twice, shame on me." Not saying this rises to the level of intentional screwing. but felt the saying was appropriate.