Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Damage while serviced at Toyota

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-15, 02:49 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,206 Likes on 956 Posts
Default Damage while serviced at Toyota

I picked my car up this past Fri from Toyota for a fluid change. Today's Tues and I just noticed a dent below the tail pipe on my otherwise clean Lexus LS 460. I know I didn't back into something and the location of the dent is tucked under the car so it would be impossible for someone to have hit me while in a parking lot.
I spoke with the service writer who said they have video cameras everywhere. However, they should have taken the car for a test drive as well to check a noise when I brake. I meet him tomorrow before lunch. I've been calm and plan to be so tomorrow. I'm going to ask to have the videos reviewed for the time period they had my car. Any other suggestions?

Last edited by swfla; 02-25-20 at 11:28 AM.
Old 07-21-15, 02:52 PM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Why are you taking your Lexus 460 to a Toyota dealership?
Old 07-21-15, 02:53 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

sorry to hear, but if I had an LS I wouldn't take it to a Toyota dealer.

That said, take someone with you as a witness to review the videos.
Old 07-21-15, 03:04 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Unless you have footage from the dealer that they did it, it's going to super hard to pin this on them. I don't think you can go in there super upset that they've absolutely done this to your car.

Time has elapsed between you taking the car back and approaching them with it. Who knows what could have happened to your car in that time period. Or it could have been there before you took it in.
Old 07-21-15, 03:14 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

The reason I took it to Toyota is because Lexus is 100 miles away. On a fluid change, no reason for Lexus, Toyota has the same fluids. They do have videos which I hope to get reviewed. I suppose if it doesn't show on the video, I'll be prepared to be denied. They inspected the car upon intake, I have the inspection sheet, no dent.
Old 07-21-15, 05:33 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 114 Posts

legally, you dont have a snowball chance in hell of getting them to admit any responsibility for the damage.
i bought a new 92 dodge stealth and the dealer called and said that my tags came in.when i arrived at the dealership the salesman took the plates and put them on.
i hopped in my car and drove back to dyess afb.got out and looked at the front plate and i see two screw driver holes in the front bumper.i drive straight back to the dealer and show them the bumper and the manager says,we didnt do that.then the sales guy that put the plates says that he did it.i could see the manager was pissed that he said anything and has my car in the back of the building and a guy is trying to fill the holes with paint.i got them to repair it right.hell that pos dealer wouldnt give me a loaner while mine was being fixed.imo dealers are the bottom feeders on this planet so i hope you get it taken care of and if you do, go straight out and buy a lotto ticket because its you lucky day!
it was star dodge in abilene tx.wonder if those scum bags are still in business.

Last edited by jimbosr1; 07-21-15 at 05:41 PM.
Old 07-21-15, 05:45 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pbm317
Time has elapsed between you taking the car back and approaching them with it. Who knows what could have happened to your car in that time period. Or it could have been there before you took it in.
True...I always inspect my car carefully when picking it up after ANY service.

...I'm pretty sure they will tell you nothing was on the video.
Old 07-21-15, 07:09 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

I loved that Chrysler dealer story (because I hate Chryslers and expect negative stuff to happen).

Jimbo, I am sorry that Chrysler is still around to cause nice folks like you problems
Old 07-22-15, 09:41 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

I was taken to the service manager, who was very cordial. We looked at the dent together. He said it wouldn't be necessary to review the dealership surveillance cameras as he'd have the on site body shop heat it (plastic bumper) and work the dent out, but it wouldn't be perfect. I went and had a gourmet brunch at their cafe. Two hours later, my car was brought out. While not perfect, it was close enough for me. I like to pick and choose my battles. I'm satisfied that this dealer did their best to make things right. I'll also check carefully whenever picking up my car from services!
Old 07-22-15, 09:45 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

glad they helped you out
Old 07-22-15, 10:05 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 114 Posts

happy they helped you out,did you get a lotto ticket today!
Old 07-22-15, 11:17 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawnmack
I have always wondered this myself. But seeing that the closest Lexus dealer is 100 miles away, if makes sense.

Kudos to the Toyota dealer for fixing the issue, more than likely it will keep the OP a long term customer.
Old 07-22-15, 03:46 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

glad it worked out for you!
Old 07-22-15, 03:49 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawnmack
Why not?
Old 07-22-15, 04:02 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by swfla
I was taken to the service manager, who was very cordial. We looked at the dent together. He said it wouldn't be necessary to review the dealership surveillance cameras as he'd have the on site body shop heat it (plastic bumper) and work the dent out, but it wouldn't be perfect. I went and had a gourmet brunch at their cafe. Two hours later, my car was brought out. While not perfect, it was close enough for me. I like to pick and choose my battles. I'm satisfied that this dealer did their best to make things right. I'll also check carefully whenever picking up my car from services!
Your very lucky they did anything for you, normally dealerships will just deny it was them but offer to fix it at their highly inflated rate/cost of course. That happened to me and my parents before.

One time when my parents got a oil change at the dealership the car came back with the hood crooked/gaps not lined up. After looking at it for a few minutes I knew exactly what happened even before I popped the hood. The hood struts in their car are going out and the hood only stays up for a few minutes before it falls, the person doing the oil change must have put a tool/light on the engine cover because I could see a mark on the engine cover and a mark on the underside of the hood and one of the lifting/lowering assemblies that the hood in connected to was bent so the hood strut gave out and fell on the tool/whatever was on the engine cover and bent the assembly causing the hood to be crooked/not lined up. The mechanic never bothered to put something to make sure the hood did not fall and cause damage which is common practice. Of course when my mom took it back they denied it was their fault even though there is no other way it could possibly have happened and I knew it was fine before she took it in because I washed the car the day before and would have noticed the damage.

Quick Reply: Damage while serviced at Toyota