Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Buick and the 24 HR Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-15, 04:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
CTS does not compete with the ES, it competes with GS.
Yes, you are correct. That was a typo on my part.
Old 08-02-15, 05:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Lets put it this way. Theres a reason why Cadillac stopped using the name "Northstar" for their engines. Reliable...no.

FYI...we had one...a 1995 Cadillac STS.
If my memory is correct, the STS had the full-rated Northstar, while its sister SLS had a slightly detuned version.

Back on topic, I don't suppose that, with two almost-new (and quite nice, I might add) vehicles, you yourself are going to do any 24-hour Buick test-drives?
Old 08-02-15, 05:45 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
You absolutely do not want to be an "alternative" under any circumstance when you are competing in a segment. When a car company is trying to compete, it has to be competitive within segment, the car must look contemporary and line up well with the standard players. In the case of Cadillac, the entire line up of cars is completely opposite of what the cars they are chasing are offering, the touchscreen style dash is not contemporary for modern luxury tastes, neither is the styling. But what the DID get right was the powertrain options.

In the case of the XTS, which is a superb car, they got the price point wrong. The XTS should be a ES350/h competitor.
The latest BMW 7 Series is adding touchscreen to their nav system, and I'm pretty sure BMW is in touch with what is contemporary for modern luxury tastes.

People aren't shying away from Caddy because it's a touchscreen. The CUE is just not a good design--having buttons "appear" once your hand gets near the screen may be cool with the techie world, but is non-sensical for a driver; and they have gotten rightly bashed for it.
Old 08-02-15, 07:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If my memory is correct, the STS had the full-rated Northstar, while its sister SLS had a slightly detuned version.

Back on topic, I don't suppose that, with two almost-new (and quite nice, I might add) vehicles, you yourself are going to do any 24-hour Buick test-drives?
Nope, no 24 hour test drives for me!
Old 08-04-15, 05:38 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

buick sales were up 18% for july. maybe this was a contributor.
Old 08-04-15, 07:12 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Or the $7000-$10000 incentives?
Old 08-04-15, 07:47 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Last night I saw a national TV ad for the 24 hour test drive. Good ad. It showed a guy hand washing his test drive car because he likes it so much.
Old 08-04-15, 09:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Possibly, but the other GM divisions were also up in July......without 24-hr. drives. I agree with Jill that incentives may (?) have helped......many automakers, not just GM, offer summer or late-summer incentives to clear out dealer-lot space for incoming new models.
Old 08-04-15, 09:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Last night I saw a national TV ad for the 24 hour test drive. Good ad. It showed a guy hand washing his test drive car because he likes it so much.
IMO, that's the only way to do it, if you want it done correctly........without risking paint and trim damage from scratches.
Old 08-04-15, 01:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

IMO, that's the only way to do it, if you want it done correctly........without risking paint and trim damage from scratches.
LOL, you mystify me sometimes.
Old 08-04-15, 02:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
LOL, you mystify me sometimes.
No need to be mystified. In general, that's the case. The more you wash by hand (if you do it correctly) the less you'll need Scratch-Out. Automated car washes can vary, but in general, are harder on paint than doing it by hand. That's not an opinion, but a fact.
Old 08-04-15, 02:32 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

The hand washing in the commercial was used just to show much how the testers liked the car. It isn't really to show that it's the best method.
Old 08-04-15, 02:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

No need to be mystified. In general, that's the case. The more you wash by hand (if you do it correctly) the less you'll need Scratch-Out. Automated car washes can vary, but in general, are harder on paint than doing it by hand. That's not an opinion, but a fact.
My point is that your comment was completely off topic, and not at all related to what the comment you were replying to was meant to convey in the context of the discussion we're having. I see it all the time, and I'm never sure if you just don't get whats being said, or the intended point of why its being said. He mentioned that he liked the ad that showed the person washing his test drive car because he liked it so much, and you replied that was the only way to wash a car that wouldn't damage it. What you said was true...but it was completely off topic and out of context.

Its like me saying that I chose a red car because I liked how bright it was, and you replying that red comes from the dyes derived by mountainous apples, and that throughout WWII red cars were outlawed in Kansas. That information may be true (I just made it up...clearly) but it has nothing to do with what were talking about.
Old 08-04-15, 02:51 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
The hand washing in the commercial was used just to show much how the testers liked the car. It isn't really to show that it's the best method.
I just watched the commercial and I agree. It has nothing to do with what is the best method, it is showing that the guy likes and wants to keep the car.

Marketing and advertising isn't as dumbed down as tonwhat exactly the guy is doing. There are a lot of messages in there, no geezers and just young folks who are not overly hip, the couple days who are young, the test shopping comment, the sunset with tbewet driveway, the guys look at her after her comment. It is a good commercial IMO.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-04-15 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-04-15, 02:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Its not an instructional video its an advertisement lol

Quick Reply: Buick and the 24 HR Test Drive