Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Road to Hana

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-15, 11:04 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Road to Hana

Just came back from Hawai'i and if you do nothing else, as a car lover, you have to do this. Here is a short video of me driving back to Lahaina from the Pools at Oheo in rain. Going to was in completely dry conditions.

This is a must for anybody who truly loves to drive down a twisty road. Turn Left and then Turn Right - Repeat 617 times for 52 miles and 3 hours. Beware of blind turns, and one way bridges. Oh, and if you miss, better make sure you have awesome insurance, both health and auto.

I was driving a Jeep Wrangler 4-door 4WD

https://*******/NKB9

https://*******/e/NKB9

Old 07-20-15, 06:23 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 615 Likes on 463 Posts

I've taken that route several times in the past 25 something years. It's nothing like it used to be. They've added so many guard rails over the years, that it took a lot of the drama out of the drive. That said, my wife likes the drive much more now.
Old 07-20-15, 07:54 AM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

I drove around the whole island and while the road to hana was definitely scary, you should try driving the road past all the resorts of lahaina north and east towards wailuku. Fantastic scenery, places you can stop and walk down to tide pools, a cute town with a person selling banana bread. tons of sheer cliffs with one lane, no guard rails and if someone's coming, you have to back up! that drive was an okole squezer indeed. Did you drive the road past hana? crazy scenery there too. i think i saw a beach where people literally just drove cars off a cliff and down to. a couple scary parts, but I think they repaved the entire road. just a few sheer cliffs that you have to circle around.

funny enough, the only place i got into trouble with my car was at the church parking lot where charles lindbergh was buried
Old 07-20-15, 11:49 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by evident
I drove around the whole island and while the road to hana was definitely scary, you should try driving the road past all the resorts of lahaina north and east towards wailuku. Fantastic scenery, places you can stop and walk down to tide pools, a cute town with a person selling banana bread. tons of sheer cliffs with one lane, no guard rails and if someone's coming, you have to back up! that drive was an okole squezer indeed. Did you drive the road past hana? crazy scenery there too. i think i saw a beach where people literally just drove cars off a cliff and down to. a couple scary parts, but I think they repaved the entire road. just a few sheer cliffs that you have to circle around.
agreed, the north route is cooler than Hana (too many people, cars)......also....try the southern route.....strange desert climate there.

Old 07-21-15, 10:53 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I drove to Hana in 1999 in a rented Camaro convertible. Fun drive but hard to sightsee with all the twists & turns!