Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Question Of The Day: Why Do People Buy Manual Cars?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-15, 03:45 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Question Of The Day: Why Do People Buy Manual Cars?

Question: Why do people buy cars with manual transmissions? Why not just use automatic transmissions for all cars?

Yahoo Autos Article
Stephen Williams, Yahoo Autos
July 16, 2015

If the companies that sell cars in the United States had their way, all their vehicles would have automatic transmissions for one simple reason: Because it’s cheaper.

But if the car enthusiasts in the United States had their way, all their cars would have manual transmissions. Their reasoning is simple, too: Because stick shifts are more fun, at least for drivers who know what they are doing.

For the manufacturers, it’s expensive to certify a manual-equipped car, and to offer a mix of cars with both manual and automatic transmissions. That’s not profitable when 95 per cent-plus of the vehicles they sell—or in many cases, all the vehicles—have automatics. BMW recently announced that even its high-performance “M” range would eventually be stick-less. The reason? Declining sales.

Yet for drivers who value control, involvement, and achieving a certain kind of karmic connection with a hunk of steel and glass and plastic, the reasoning is that simple too.

Technological improvements are probably to blame for the radical abandonment of the stick shift in the States in the last two or three decades, and, conversely, the rapid adoption of the automatic. In 2014, less that four percent of all the passenger cars sold in the U.S. were manuals.

For decades, the three or four-speed auto—nicknamed a “slushbox” by its detractors—was a rather joyless mechanism that appealed to owners who mainly needed a car to get from point A to point B. In traffic, it just sat there while you just sat there. Press the throttle and the car moved (often with a clunk or a jerk). Press the brake and it stopped. This action, or non-action, was especially appealing to many young drivers, who understood that it took more learning and practice to smoothly operate a car with three pedals. “I’m nervous enough taking a road test,” was the idea. “Why complicate things?”

These days, the “slushbox” has evolved in a semi-magical assemblage of gears and wheels and electronics. They shift without drama, and indeed many can up or downshift gears more quickly that the most practiced manual driver. Some of these are called “dual-clutch” transmissions, and they live in Porsches and Ferraris as well as in Acuras and Fords.

There are other benefits as well to today’s automatics. They achieve fuel efficiency numbers as good and often better than manuals, one reason that sticks have begun losing favor even in Europe, where gasoline is so expensive. Some of today’s automatics have up to nine forward “speeds,” or gears, and various other mechanisms to improve efficiency.

When manuals were offered in abundance, automatics were options that cost upwards of $1,000. Today, because of the demand for self-shifting transmissions, the cost of this “option” is usually built into the car’s sticker price.

For those who still insist on manually switching gears, many high-end cars offer automatics with so-called sport modes and paddles on the steering column—a contraption borrowed from Formula 1 race cars—to shift up and down.

Of course, for the purists, that isn’t shifting at all. Take the MINI brand: it’s an anomaly among car offerings.

“The take rate on manual transmission Minis across the range is in the 20 percent range,” says Patrick McKenna, head of product planning at Mini USA. Automatics are a given in Los Angeles or New York, cities with ultra-clogged traffic, he said. “An engineer would tell you that a dual-shift on paper is the best choice, it actually shifts faster than a manual. But in the U.S, the manual really just makes a Mini more fun to drive at all speeds. It defies some rational elements, but its customers have the kind of passion for driving that makes it work.”

Personally, I will miss the manual when (not if) it’s gone. Some time ago I owned a Mercedes-Benz two-seater, the very last model offered in the U.S. by Mercedes with a stick shift. I realized it was something special when a young service advisor at a New York Mercedes-Benz dealer oohhhed and aahhhed over it. “Take it for a drive,” I suggested; me, the big shot.

“I’d love to,” he said. “But I can’t drive a stick.”
Old 07-16-15, 04:12 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Learned to drive stick on the family '93 Accord (5MT). Great skill to know, though personally I much prefer Automatic with a manual shift mode.
Old 07-16-15, 04:19 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Learned to drive stick on the family '93 Accord (5MT). Great skill to know, though personally I much prefer Automatic with a manual shift mode.
I learned stick first and still prefer a manual transmission. In automatics i rarely find myself using the paddle shifters or manual shifting. The "novelty" quickly wears off. Pure manual or just let the automatic do its thing
Old 07-16-15, 04:19 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I would only go with manual if the automatic counterpart sucks. That pretty much means older cars. If I had to buy a new one now, I would choose auto, especially if it's dual clutch.
Old 07-16-15, 06:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I drove many thousands of miles with a traditional clutch and manual transmission, and I'm not convinced, like some enthusiasts are, that it actually gives better control, especially on slippery surfaces. But that's not the main problem with traditional clutch-pedal manuals. Traffic, today, in many parts of the U.S., is simply too dense, with too much stop and go conditions, to be wearing out one's left knee, right arm, and the transmission's mechanicals by constantly shifting every few seconds. Not only that, but the manual transmissions I drove with were three or four gears at the most...five with some Euro or Asian cars. Today, most manuals are 6-speeds, which means closer spacing between the gears and more shifting.
Old 07-16-15, 08:33 PM
Dlewbell
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I enjoy driving more when I have a stick, & in many of the more enjoyable cars I can afford, you still get better performance with one. On top of that, I find it easier to maintain my speed in places with unreasonably low speed limits if I can just drop to a low gear & leave it. When I drive an automatic in these situations, they tend to go to the highest gear that won't stall, which leads to me slowly accelerating & getting into trouble. Both my current cars are automatic, & I do use the manual shift option in these situations, but for some reason, they just don't feel as natural in manual mode as either a true manual or as they do left in auto. As someone who does autocross on weekends, I'd prefer to have another manual, but even barring that, I would not consider a car that didn't at least have a manual shift mode for the automatic. Nothing's worse than trying to pick up speed coming out of a tight corner & having the car hunt through 5 gears to get something sensible, & then throwing you around when it does find the right one.
Old 07-16-15, 10:10 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

paddle shifters that work.

not the gimmicky kind paired with slow shifting transmissions.
Old 07-17-15, 06:16 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

in europe there's still WAY more stick cars than autos.
Old 07-17-15, 10:23 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by pbm317
I learned stick first and still prefer a manual transmission. In automatics i rarely find myself using the paddle shifters or manual shifting. The "novelty" quickly wears off. Pure manual or just let the automatic do its thing
I use the manual mode about 10% of the time mainly for engine braking or some back roads near home. The manual mode in the 2IS is very slow and clunky unfortunately
Old 07-17-15, 10:25 AM
natman
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Depends on the car. The automatic in my 2002 GS300 is great, very smart, always in the correct gear, three shift modes and manual control.

OTOH, I wouldn't consider a car like a Miata any other way than with a stick.
Old 07-17-15, 10:49 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by natman
Depends on the car. The automatic in my 2002 GS300 is great, very smart, always in the correct gear, three shift modes and manual control.

OTOH, I wouldn't consider a car like a Miata any other way than with a stick.
This is a great point. Some cars without a traditional 3-pedal are considered blasphemous since they are almost expected to have a manual. The ones that have the option that is.
Old 07-17-15, 11:27 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

heavy or high hp cars really (to me) are not fun with a stick. light or low hp cars (like mentioned, a miata, or a golf or something) with stick are an absolute blast unless you drive in traffic a lot.
Old 07-17-15, 02:08 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
And they love to rib us about it(although they're justified).

When I had my learner's permit, my parents made sure I drove all of their cars. That included a good amount of time behind the wheel of my dad's 92 F-350 when we were out working together(every day after school). It has a 5-speed manual. So I learned.

My first car was a 1989 Pontiac Firebird with a 2.8 V6 and a 5-speed manual. It wasn't fast, and I imagine it would have been much worse with an automatic. Low power cars definitely benefit from a manual, especially in hilly territory.

A high school friend had a late 90's Saturn SL2. My sister also has one. His was manual, hers is automatic. The automatic makes it awful in the hills.
Old 07-17-15, 02:59 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
And they love to rib us about it(although they're justified).
justified in what way? they drive sticks because they're cheaper and cars are overall WAY more expensive there. they also drive sticks because in the past they could get better gas mileage and autos robbed a bit more power (neither true today) from the gutless econo-hatches so common there.
Old 07-17-15, 03:03 PM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Many people here are still conviced that autos makes the car slower and decreases mpg significantly. The unreliable DSG gearboxes from the VW group has made it even worse. But more and more cars gets autos as the only option here as well.

Quick Reply: Question Of The Day: Why Do People Buy Manual Cars?