Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 Toyota Fortuner

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-15, 07:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by UZJ100GXR
makes me look forward to the new Prado which should be due for 2017??
MY 18 or 19 for a new Land Cruiser\Prado
Old 07-18-15, 12:35 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Motor
at 1:03, the side profile is quite chunky looking.

They picked all the best angles to photograph
Old 07-18-15, 06:59 AM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All the Toyota SUVs/Trucks are starting to have this weird overbite look. Its starting to get better from the monstrosity that is the 4Runner, but it still looks strange.
Old 07-18-15, 10:59 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by chromedome
This thing is a Hilux body-on-frame pickup with an SUV body. How does it compare price-wise to a 4Runner/Prado or Highlander/Kluger? I've only seen these in Southeast Asian markets. They must be pretty strong workhorses.
old version yes, new version not really... It used to be cheaper SUV. I wonder what will new version costs though, since it has more features, more premium looks inside and out as well as completely different suspension compared to Hilux.

It will have to be substantially cheaper than Prado though, which is great... we would like to have this model in Europe as well, since Prado is really priced out of most of its class.
Old 07-18-15, 02:22 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
old version yes, new version not really... It used to be cheaper SUV. I wonder what will new version costs though, since it has more features, more premium looks inside and out as well as completely different suspension compared to Hilux.

It will have to be substantially cheaper than Prado though, which is great... we would like to have this model in Europe as well, since Prado is really priced out of most of its class.
The new Fortuner is based directly off the new Hilux. Just like a Sequoia is based off the Tundra
Old 07-18-15, 03:35 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts
Default 2016 Toyota Fortuner

I saw these beautiful vehicles in person back in 2007 when I visited Jamaica and they were a really cool design.
Old 07-18-15, 04:57 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The new Fortuner is based directly off the new Hilux. Just like a Sequoia is based off the Tundra
for the billionth time, it has completely different suspension, interior and exterior... it is based on same IMV platform, it is not completely based on Hilux. Even the measurments are completely different with Hilux having substantially bigger length and wheelbase.

Another part of IMV project is Innova, and thats also getting all new model by early next year.

More about IMV renovation project:
http://asia.nikkei.com/magazine/2015...gmarket-series

Toyota Motor is fully redesigning its IMV series of cars for emerging markets to make them greener. It will be the lineup's first total revamp in 11 years.

The Japanese carmaker will invest about 100 billion yen ($842 million) on the overhaul, which will cover the platform, the engine and chassis parts.

IMV, short for Innovative International Multi-purpose Vehicle, is a broad designation covering pickups, SUVs and minivans all built on the same platform.

Toyota produces the engines in Thailand and Indonesia and the transmissions in the Philippines and India. It assembles the vehicles in 13 locations, including Southeast Asia, South Africa and Argentina. The finished products are sold in more than 170 markets, including the Middle East and Latin America.

IMV production volume came to 965,000 units in 2014, accounting for a considerable chunk of Toyota's global output. An IMV pickup sells for 512,000 baht ($15,703) in Thailand -- roughly the going rate for a compact car.

Production of the new vehicles will begin this spring in Thailand. Facilities in Argentina and Indonesia will also be gradually updated to make them. Most engine and transmission parts will be sourced locally to cut transport costs. The plan is to increase output of the series to 1.09 million vehicles in 2016.
Old 07-18-15, 05:19 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
for the billionth time, it has completely different suspension, interior and exterior... it is based on same IMV platform, it is not completely based on Hilux. Even the measurments are completely different with Hilux having substantially bigger length and wheelbase.

Another part of IMV project is Innova, and thats also getting all new model by early next year.

More about IMV renovation project:
http://asia.nikkei.com/magazine/2015...et<br /> ries
No need to be rude with the "billionth time" comment. The Hilux is designed of this platform, the Fortuner is based off the design of the Hilux. Always has. The fact that they are from the IMV is completely irrelevant.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-18-15 at 05:29 PM.
Old 07-18-15, 08:03 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

this could easily replace the ancient 4runner and do well.
Old 07-18-15, 10:17 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
No need to be rude with the "billionth time" comment. The Hilux is designed of this platform, the Fortuner is based off the design of the Hilux. Always has. The fact that they are from the IMV is completely irrelevant.
You like to pick fights, don't you?

It is completely relevant to say that the Hilux pickup truck, Fortuner SUV and Innova MPV are built on the IMV platform.

The original IMV platform may have been spawned from the Hilux, so it would have been proper to say that the Gen1 Fortuner and Innova were based on the Hilux, but this is now the 2nd-generation of the IMV platform, and the platform was designed from the start to support 3 different types of vehicles -- a pickup truck, a comfortable (with independent coil spring rear suspension rather than a leaf spring design) SUV and a MPV (what we generally and generically call a minivan here in North America).

The objective of this new Fortuner seems to be to drive like a crossover utility vehicle (car-based) rather than a body-on-frame sport utility vehicle (truck-based).

And don't forget that the Innova is also a body-on-frame design. MPVs in Europe and North America are car-based rather than truck-based for the driving comfort. To make the IMV ladder frame platform able to support a hearty and rugged truck, and comfortable-as-cars CUV and MPV, a lot of innovation would have gone into the design.

Different suspension designs on the same platform (which this new IMV platform have) are costly, and low cost of manufacture was (and continues to be) the objective of the IMV platform, which was designed to be built and used in lower-income areas of the world (Thailand, Indonesia, India, South America).

So to say that this new Fortuner (and Innova) are based on the Hilux is not completely correct.
Old 07-18-15, 10:20 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

^ funny, because at Toyota Pressroom they state that the new Fortuner is based on the Hilux underpinnings.
Old 07-27-15, 10:38 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New Fortuner Transformed Into A X6-Like Coupe SUV
http://www.carscoops.com/2015/07/new...rmed-into.html
Renderings courtesy of Theophilus Chin

Old 07-28-15, 01:57 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

so a less sleek ZDX? Nice way to kill the primary function of this vehicle, 7 person carrier
Old 07-28-15, 02:56 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Toyota has done very well with the new Fortuner, as the current model has become a favourite in West Africa from what I've observed on occasional visits to some nations there (especially Africa's "richest" country of Nigeria). It is an excellent, despite the frequent fervent trolls that nitpick at it.

I hope they really have studied what is possible for its U.S. equivalent in 4Runner. My cousin-in-law complained about lack of availability of either the Highlander or the Fortuner in the UK. Him and his wife (my paternal cousin), own a late model MY13 Prius (62 reg) and RX450h SE-L Premier, but want a 7-seater.

He works for Toyota Financial UK (a decade now), so he wants to "keep it in the family", but is gravely irritated about Toyota's lack of product in this class. She (my cousin) feels the Land Cruiser V8 is too big, as I've often lent them my parents' '13 LC200 V8 (4.5) several times and it's a hassle to utilise for her down in London. The smaller Land Cruiser (Prado) is too big for her as well, but she loves her sister-in-law's 2014 Highlander Limited that she briefly drove on a visit to Maryland.

They are a young family of five, with a nanny and grandmum (my aunt) frequently visits them from Nigeria/South Africa. Using two cars for outings has proven to be an annoyance, that I don't understand why Toyota fails to offer any 7-seater in this class, like Nissan does with the X-Trail. They are not typical Londoners, in being unusually very car-dependent.

I told him that a TX might be in development, but that Toyota needs to introduce the Kluger in Europe or an Avensis-based CUV. He should make a case for that, as he is an employee. Toyota needs to get on the ball for Europe, as they might soon lose business to their competitors in the CUV class they invented in 1994.
Old 07-29-15, 02:43 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cmk1
Toyota has done very well with the new Fortuner, as the current model has become a favourite in West Africa from what I've observed on occasional visits to some nations there (especially Africa's "richest" country of Nigeria). It is an excellent, despite the frequent fervent trolls that nitpick at it.

I hope they really have studied what is possible for its U.S. equivalent in 4Runner. My cousin-in-law complained about lack of availability of either the Highlander or the Fortuner in the UK. Him and his wife (my paternal cousin), own a late model MY13 Prius (62 reg) and RX450h SE-L Premier, but want a 7-seater.

He works for Toyota Financial UK (a decade now), so he wants to "keep it in the family", but is gravely irritated about Toyota's lack of product in this class. She (my cousin) feels the Land Cruiser V8 is too big, as I've often lent them my parents' '13 LC200 V8 (4.5) several times and it's a hassle to utilise for her down in London. The smaller Land Cruiser (Prado) is too big for her as well, but she loves her sister-in-law's 2014 Highlander Limited that she briefly drove on a visit to Maryland.

They are a young family of five, with a nanny and grandmum (my aunt) frequently visits them from Nigeria/South Africa. Using two cars for outings has proven to be an annoyance, that I don't understand why Toyota fails to offer any 7-seater in this class, like Nissan does with the X-Trail. They are not typical Londoners, in being unusually very car-dependent.

I told him that a TX might be in development, but that Toyota needs to introduce the Kluger in Europe or an Avensis-based CUV. He should make a case for that, as he is an employee. Toyota needs to get on the ball for Europe, as they might soon lose business to their competitors in the CUV class they invented in 1994.
When it comes to Europe, their focus is on profitability in adverse market. So I dont see Highlander outside AU and RU markets happening... now maybe next time, they will have engineered new platform with diesels in mind so it will be easier to fit EU version?

I hoped than Fortuner might show up here, considering good looks it got now... but we can see from specs that it is not bound for Europe - for instance new safety tech is not in... Toyota Germany confirmed that there will be no imports but I wonder about some markets like Russia? This seems like a perfect fit.... or maybe they prefer to sell Prado or are waiting for next Prado to outdo this?

This might be likely reason, since I dont see many people buying Prado when Fortuner is around. Not that Prado isnt better - it has a lot of more tech, but a lot of people buy it because thats the base Toyota 4x4 and these people would migrate to Fortuner if presented with option simply because they dont need all the Prado tech and they certainly dont need all of the capability.

So maybe when new Prado comes in next year or two, we will also see Fortuner in some EU countries?

Quick Reply: 2016 Toyota Fortuner