Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 Toyota Fortuner

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-16, 02:57 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 126 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
The Toyota Fortuner SUV, Toyota Hilux and Toyota Innova MPV (multi-purpose vehicle) are all body-on-frame vehicles built on the IMV platform. The purpose of Toyota's "Innovative International Multi-purpose Vehicle" IMV project is the "... the concept of producing vehicles where they are sold".

Source: http://www2.toyota.co.jp/en/news/12/04/0406_3.html

As can be seen, these countries are largely developing ("BRIC") countries, so they are designed for low cost production, low price, for use in areas where road infrastructure may not be as well developed as 1st-World countries.
exactly, and there is no way Lexus pickup would be based on IMV. Same goes for Fortuner. They are built for low cost, you dont stuff it a bit with sound deadening and call it a Lexus. Fortuner doesnt even have features that Rav4 has, it is low cost Toyota and IMV is low cost platform.
Old 02-06-16, 08:23 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
thats pretty funny... there is no rumour that Lexus will do Fortuner, that makes no sense at all since Fortuner is specifically made for 3rd world countries.

Lexus already has best version possible of something similar, that is the GX.

As to the Hilux, same goes there... if they ever do a Lexus pickup (which i doubt), it would be based on Tundra and not Hilux. But I doubt that will happen ever. Pickups are not that popular in middle east where this would sell for Lexus.
You are spot on.

As for the need for a 3 row Lexus RX, there is no need. There is a perceived need because people have these strange ideas that they "Need" three rows. Eventually a 3 row GX unibody will be brought to market.
Old 10-18-18, 04:43 AM
Hayek
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This is mine

I have it since January of 2017 and it has been very reliable. It's luxurious and tough, but if Toyota decide to make a Lexus version of it, then it better have a more powerful engine. The 2.8 GD is a competent engine, but it isn't exactly Lexus material, specially for power hungry Americans. I think you Americans will find the 2.8 badly under powered for you liking. It is available with the same 4.0 V6 of the 4Runner, although with less power than the 4Runner. There is even a 2.7 16v that runs on gasoline and ethanol and it's available with a manual, but it's 2WD only. The 2.8 turbodiesel and the V6 are 4WD with automatic only.
Old 10-18-18, 06:52 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Hayek
This is mine

I have it since January of 2017 and it has been very reliable. It's luxurious and tough, but if Toyota decide to make a Lexus version of it, then it better have a more powerful engine. The 2.8 GD is a competent engine, but it isn't exactly Lexus material, specially for power hungry Americans. I think you Americans will find the 2.8 badly under powered for you liking. It is available with the same 4.0 V6 of the 4Runner, although with less power than the 4Runner. There is even a 2.7 16v that runs on gasoline and ethanol and it's available with a manual, but it's 2WD only. The 2.8 turbodiesel and the V6 are 4WD with automatic only.
Wow Toyota is really milking the old engines to the last drop of ions. The Fortuner is really nice looking, but too bad we have the RAV4 and they are both about the same size.
Old 10-18-18, 06:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Hayek
I have it since January of 2017 and it has been very reliable. It's luxurious and tough, but if Toyota decide to make a Lexus version of it, then it better have a more powerful engine. The 2.8 GD is a competent engine, but it isn't exactly Lexus material, specially for power hungry Americans. I think you Americans will find the 2.8 badly under powered for you liking.
Low power does not necessarily mean that a vehicle won't sell....even in the U.S. As far as minivans go, don't forget that the first four generations of the ever-popular Dodge Caravan/Plymouth Voyager offered both turbo and non-turbo in-line fours before V6s became standard....and sold like hotcakes. More recently, the Lexus IS250, even with power-robbing AWD, has been a very good seller in my area. Its small 2.5L V6 had only 184 ft-lbs. of torque, yet still appealed to a lot of buyers.
Old 10-18-18, 11:19 AM
Hayek
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Wow Toyota is really milking the old engines to the last drop of ions. The Fortuner is really nice looking, but too bad we have the RAV4 and they are both about the same size.
I believe the 2.7 16v is the same that powered the Tacoma in the USA, although with Dual VVT-I and runs on gasoline or ethanol or a combination of both. The 4.0 V6 had 240 hp against 270 hp in the 4Runner.

We have the RAV4 as well, but it's 2WD automatic only with a 2.0 145 hp engine, we don't have the 2.5 AWD RAV4 anymore due to low demand. The dimensions are indeed very close. The obvious differences being in ground clearance and architecture; the Fortuner is a traditional body on frame SUV with four wheel drive with locking differential and transfer case. Btw, I'm glad you think it's a good looking SUV. ;-)

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Low power does not necessarily mean that a vehicle won't sell....even in the U.S. As far as minivans go, don't forget that the first four generations of the ever-popular Dodge Caravan/Plymouth Voyager offered both turbo and non-turbo in-line fours before V6s became standard....and sold like hotcakes. More recently, the Lexus IS250, even with power-robbing AWD, has been a very good seller in my area. Its small 2.5L V6 had only 184 ft-lbs. of torque, yet still appealed to a lot of buyers.
The 2.8 engine produces 177 hp at 3400 Rpm and 331 Ib-ft of torque at 1600 Rpm. Since you brought the IS 250, let's compare it to the Fortuner diesel.

IS 250 AWD

vs

Fortuner 2.8 AT 4x4

Are you sure you'd be OK with the performance of the Fortuner?

Additional info:
  • The Fortuner is sold in South American countries as the "Toyota SW4".
  • The SW4 sold in South America is built in Zarate, Argentina.
  • Three versions are available in Brazil: SR, SRX and Diamond. All versions come with electronic stability control, but the SR only comes with three airbags, the SRX and Diamond come with seven airbags. The SR only comes in 2WD with the 2.7 engine and it's available with 5 seats or 7 seats. The SRX is diesel 4x4 automatic only and available with 5 or 7 seats. Diamond is 7 seats diesel 4x4 automatic only.
  • My SW4 is the SRX 7-seater 2.8 4x4 version. The name of the colour is "Eclipse black metallic" and the wheels are 18 inches.
  • Due to very low demand and increasingly high gas prices, Toyota dropped the V6 engine for 2019. Toyota also dropped the manual gearbox for 2019.
  • The SW4 is the best selling SUV in its class in Brazil.

Last edited by Hayek; 10-18-18 at 04:29 PM.