Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 Toyota Fortuner

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-15, 06:58 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks really nice! They need this
Old 07-16-15, 07:32 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
it is like you cant read... i sometimes wonder. 4Runner is VERY similar to Fortuner, down to being around 1" difference in size. They use different platform (IMV is name of the platform) yet are VERY similarehicles.
No need to be rude. They are nothing a like. Different platform, different plants, different engines, 4 Runner larger in wheelbase, height, wide and is heavier. One is designed for Asian markets while the other is designed for NA.
Old 07-16-15, 10:14 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The all-new 2016 Toyota Fortuner SUV has been unveiled at simultaneous events in Thailand and Australia ahead of an October sales debut this year.
Old 07-17-15, 04:35 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Found some of the spy pics, interior (the center stack mainly) is stylistically different from the Hilux interior, but still pretty much the same "bones" and architecture hard points.

Yep, different interior and looks despite being on same IMV platform.

Really big strength of Toyota that they don't mind spending more to make it different.
Old 07-17-15, 08:52 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yep, different interior and looks despite being on same IMV platform.

Really big strength of Toyota that they don't mind spending more to make it different.
I wouldn't call it a "really big strength" for them. They didn't elect to do this for Scion iM vs Corolla for example. Nothing between the BRZ and FR-S. Obviously some lower margins for those price points vs. what the Fortuner can bring in, harder to justify the investment needed, etc. They won't even pay to get the Sequoia interior upgraded with the new Tundra interior due to separate plants.

I mean they're not as bad about badge engineering, for the most part, but I just wouldn't call it their big strength.
Old 07-17-15, 10:08 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

I wouldn't call it a "really big strength" for them. They didn't elect to do this for Scion iM vs Corolla for example. Nothing between the BRZ and FR-S. Obviously some lower margins for those price points vs. what the Fortuner can bring in, harder to justify the investment needed, etc. They won't even pay to get the Sequoia interior upgraded with the new Tundra interior due to separate plants.

I mean they're not as bad about badge engineering, for the most part, but I just wouldn't call it their big strength.
I would... Fortuner sells several hundred thousand worldwide against competition which is usually very pickup based so for them to be able to alleviate it from same platform by using much nicer interior/exterior and suspension means that they will be able to command larger amount of sales at higher prices.

It is definitely a strength for Toyota in general to be able to do this due to their worldwide position as sales leaders. Smaller manufacturers like Mitsu and Isuzu can not do this and thats Fortuners competition.

Why exactly would Auris have different interior than Scion iM? I take thats what you meant and makes no sense, they sell in different areas of the world and it is just a branding/name change. Corolla sedan and Auris do have different interiors but thats mostly due to slightly different target markets and is another show of same positive trait where they can do different interiors based on market preferences.

In fact, it is another positive showcase is that they can offer Scion iM styling as sporty version of Corolla hatch in markets like Australia where they are market leaders.
Old 07-17-15, 01:04 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I would... Fortuner sells several hundred thousand worldwide against competition which is usually very pickup based so for them to be able to alleviate it from same platform by using much nicer interior/exterior and suspension means that they will be able to command larger amount of sales at higher prices.

It is definitely a strength for Toyota in general to be able to do this due to their worldwide position as sales leaders. Smaller manufacturers like Mitsu and Isuzu can not do this and thats Fortuners competition.

Why exactly would Auris have different interior than Scion iM? I take thats what you meant and makes no sense, they sell in different areas of the world and it is just a branding/name change. Corolla sedan and Auris do have different interiors but thats mostly due to slightly different target markets and is another show of same positive trait where they can do different interiors based on market preferences.

In fact, it is another positive showcase is that they can offer Scion iM styling as sporty version of Corolla hatch in markets like Australia where they are market leaders.
This is getting off topic, but no, I meant Corolla and Scion iM. Yes I'm aware it's marketed differently in other countries, but the U.S. Corolla Sedan and Scion iM have nearly same interior, save for some vent shape differences at the sides by the doors.

Prior Fortuners used Hilux interior almost identically, so I applaud Toyota for making the investment to further differentiate it with this refresh.
Old 07-17-15, 04:26 PM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

This thing actually looks good and i never thought i would say that about the Fortuner.
Old 07-17-15, 04:47 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This should be the 4runner here in the US. :/
Old 07-17-15, 04:50 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

This is getting off topic, but no, I meant Corolla and Scion iM. Yes I'm aware it's marketed differently in other countries, but the U.S. Corolla Sedan and Scion iM have nearly same interior, save for some vent shape differences at the sides by the doors.

Prior Fortuners used Hilux interior almost identically, so I applaud Toyota for making the investment to further differentiate it with this refresh.
I have a feeling you are commenting on things based on what you remember and not checking actual pictures... So yes, they dont have same interiors :-). But sure, it is getting off topic, just check the pics when you have free time.
Old 07-17-15, 04:51 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by UZJ100GXR
This thing actually looks good and i never thought i would say that about the Fortuner.
yep, used to be something reserved for 3rd world countries... I wonder if they will expand this model to more markets, it would do well in Europe as well as South America.
Old 07-17-15, 05:04 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

from 3rd world vehicle to near luxury exterior:

Old 07-17-15, 05:43 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

This thing is a Hilux body-on-frame pickup with an SUV body. How does it compare price-wise to a 4Runner/Prado or Highlander/Kluger? I've only seen these in Southeast Asian markets. They must be pretty strong workhorses.
Old 07-17-15, 06:08 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

from 3rd world vehicle to near luxury exterior:

Now that I think of it, this could of been a great GX. But I still would like to see the GX go IRS.
Old 07-17-15, 06:36 PM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

makes me look forward to the new Prado which should be due for 2017??

Quick Reply: 2016 Toyota Fortuner