Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Many new car technologies are actually old idea

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-15, 08:53 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If you mean headlights that actually turn with the steering wheel, Preston Tucker had that feature on his 1948 Torpedo, several years before we saw it on the French Citroens. Of course, the Torpedo, unlike the Citroens, never really reached full production....only 51 were built before Tucker folded.

The third, "Cyclops" center headlight swiveled with the steering wheel at steering inputs of more than 10 degrees. For states that outlawed three headlights, a cover could be fitted to it.

I heard about the cyclops headlight but I didn't know what it did. Cool.

I guess the Citroën got credit because it was mass produced?
Old 07-19-15, 09:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Nextourer
I heard about the cyclops headlight but I didn't know what it did. Cool.

I guess the Citroën got credit because it was mass produced?
Yes, pretty much. Tucker's car was the first attempt at a number of new automotive technologies and features, but the company never really got off the ground, due to a number of factors that were both in and out of Tucker's control. The 50s-vintage Citroen DS and ID cars, on the other hand, did reach full-producton, and had a number of interesting features that emphasized both comfort and safety.
Old 09-08-15, 06:02 AM
johnnylt
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

here are a couple more of cool options you don't see anywhere ,my 76 Fleetwood had, when you applied the brakes there were two little eyes above the back window that lit up , and then the turn signal indicators on the hood that blinked when the turn signal was engaged, and the corning lamps , those were nice , just to name a couple
Old 09-08-15, 06:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by johnnylt
here are a couple more of cool options you don't see anywhere ,my 76 Fleetwood had, when you applied the brakes there were two little eyes above the back window that lit up , and then the turn signal indicators on the hood that blinked when the turn signal was engaged, and the corning lamps , those were nice , just to name a couple
Basically, what actually happened with the hood-mounted turn signals was a safety-issue. They ended up being relocated to the side-mirror housings that increased their visibility to other drivers on either side of the car.

One thing, though, that I liked about the idea of the hood-mounted indicators. They helped prevent clueless drivers with their heads in the clouds (or that didn't notice the green arrows clicking and flashing on the dash) from aimlessly driving down the road with their turn-signals stuck on....an annoyance to other drivers.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-08-15 at 06:24 AM.
Old 09-08-15, 10:50 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Basically, what actually happened with the hood-mounted turn signals was a safety-issue. They ended up being relocated to the side-mirror housings that increased their visibility to other drivers on either side of the car.
I'm not really sure that the 30-year gap between when the hood-mounted indicators were phased out, and the mirror mounted turn signal indicators started being used, can be considered a "relocation". Besides--the old style hood indicators were for the driver to see; the mirror or side marker indicators are for other drivers to see (I can also see the mirror indicators on my BMW, but not on my wife's Mazda).

Last edited by tex2670; 09-08-15 at 10:54 AM.
Old 09-08-15, 11:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
I'm not really sure that the 30-year gap between when the hood-mounted indicators were phased out, and the mirror mounted turn signal indicators started being used, can be considered a "relocation". Besides--the old style hood indicators were for the driver to see; the mirror or side marker indicators are for other drivers to see (I can also see the mirror indicators on my BMW, but not on my wife's Mazda).
Yes, when I said relocation, I meant that's where they ultimately ended up. As you note, it was a period of some years.
Old 09-08-15, 11:08 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Agreed, specially when you consider that they are making a comeback:

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2015/...al-indicators/

I don't know where that poster got the information that the were discontinued due to safety issue.

So basically, hood mounted turn signals, not a new idea, just making a comeback, so within topic of this thread, Check
Poster talking about something that has nothing to do with the topic at hand, Check.

Last edited by My0gr81; 09-08-15 at 11:36 AM.
Old 09-08-15, 12:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by My0gr81
Agreed, specially when you consider that they are making a comeback:

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2015/...al-indicators/

I don't know where that poster got the information that the were discontinued due to safety issue.
I didn't say that mounting them on the hood or discontinuing them was a safety issue. I said putting them on the turn signals was, to an extent, because it makes them more visible to some drivers at certain angles.

Poster talking about something that has nothing to do with the topic at hand, Check.
Wrong again. The thread topic covers a lot of different auto features....including that one.