Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: how long do you still think your car looks 'good' after you wash it?
never, it's a beater
0%
i never wash it so the question is irrelevant
4.35%
less than 24 hrs, hey i'm obsessive, mkay?
26.09%
a week or less
32.61%
a month or less
13.04%
depends on winter vs summer
15.22%
depends on my mood
0%
it always looks good b----!
6.52%
at least once a year, lol
2.17%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

How long do you still think your car looks 'good' after you wash it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-15, 02:18 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts
Talking How long do you still think your car looks 'good' after you wash it?

going to enjoy this. let me know if you need other poll options.
Old 07-11-15, 02:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

It obviously depends on a lot of different factors, but one of the main ones is the actual paint color of the car and how well it shows or hides dirt. Beige/tan/gold is very good in that respect....it tends to hide or blend in with the color of a lot of common dust, dirt, waterspots, and pollen. Silver is also pretty good at hiding a lot of dirt and the whitish-gray paint-primer marks that often result from scratches (SCRATCH-OUT, of course, will take out very light scratches themselves). White is probably the worst color for most stains....it shows just about any kind of stain color, and needs a lot of maintenance to keep it nice. Black, of course, has a reputation for being arguably the worst color of all to keep clean. It doesn't show most darker stains, but makes just about every other imperfection stand out like a magnifying glass. Though there are some exceptions (perhaps right here on this forum), most people I've known or talked to who have owned one black car for personal use tend to not get another one.

In general, for me, unless birds crap on it, tar from road construction/paving gets on it, snow/salt gets on it, crap from trees falls on it, or we're in pollen season, my car will stay good-looking for weeks. The extra-cost Crystal Red Tintcoat paint job on my car is extra cost for a reason....it keeps its looks even if some dirt gets on it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-11-15 at 05:04 PM.
Old 07-11-15, 03:52 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Probably 2 days for me.
Old 07-11-15, 04:38 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 816 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Black, of course, has a reputation for being arguably the worst color of all to keep clean. It doesn't show most darker stains, but makes just about every other imperfection stand out like a magnifying glass. Though there are some exceptions (perhaps right here on this forum), most people I've known or talked to who have owned one black car for personal use tend to not get another tone.
Three black cars in a row here. They look great in the shade and on overcast weather days. When the sun is out
I can spend $300 for an exterior detail and I see swirl marks from the buffer.
I have my car washed 2-3 times a week and to have it hand washed is $30 (most shops around me)for exterior only and they tend to miss dirty areas too. I use the tunnel machine wash for $5.95 and they wipe it down for me.

Oh what a PITA it is to love a black car and be meticulous about it
Old 07-11-15, 05:02 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts
Default How long do you still think your car looks 'good' after you wash it?

Originally Posted by tecman
Three black cars in a row here. They look great in the shade and on overcast weather days. When the sun is out
I can spend $300 for an exterior detail and I see swirl marks from the buffer.
I have my car washed 2-3 times a week and to have it hand washed is $30 (most shops around me)for exterior only and they tend to miss dirty areas too. I use the tunnel machine wash for $5.95 and they wipe it down for me.

Oh what a PITA it is to love a black car and be meticulous about it
The more you wash it the more swirls you get. It's probably better to wash it once every other week and let it be a little dirty than wash it 2-3 times a week.
Old 07-11-15, 05:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
The more you wash it the more swirls you get.
Solution:

Trust me, it works .........as long as you aren't dealing with scratches/swirls deep it the clear coat.
Old 07-11-15, 06:28 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 816 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
The more you wash it the more swirls you get. It's probably better to wash it once every other week and let it be a little dirty than wash it 2-3 times a week.
Not an option for me. I need a clean car so I can sleep well at night. Friends made fun of me when I was in High school that I would own a car wash when I graduated. I did look into it years later.
I rinsed off my car most mornings (sometimes in the rain) and washed it constantly....And then I grew up....

My last neighbor commented to me "every time I look out of my window you are washing your car"
Yes I am obsessed with a clean car. When I have it washed I get home and detail it. If I skip a day or two I run over it with a duster and wipe the wheels and exhaust tips with Windex and refresh the tire shine. If I plan to leave the house for something simple and it starts to rain, I stay home.

Hmm, this reminds me that I was near a lawnmower earlier today that blew grass and dust on my car. I have to sign off now...

Hello, my name is Chris and I am a clean car addict.
Old 07-11-15, 06:30 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

dark colors suck.

My next car will be dust color.
Old 07-11-15, 06:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Not an option for me. I need a clean car so I can sleep well at night. Friends made fun of me when I was in High school that I would own a car wash when I graduated. I did look into it years later.
I rinsed off my car most mornings (sometimes in the rain) and washed it constantly....And then I grew up....

My last neighbor commented to me "every time I look out of my window you are washing your car"
Yes I am obsessed with a clean car. When I have it washed I get home and detail it. If I skip a day or two I run over it with a duster and wipe the wheels and exhaust tips with Windex and refresh the tire shine. If I plan to leave the house for something simple and it starts to rain, I stay home.

Hmm, this reminds me that I was near a lawnmower earlier today that blew grass and dust on my car. I have to sign off now...

I like a clean car, too (and usually put that into practice)........but there is such a thing as keeping one's sanity.
Old 07-11-15, 08:45 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Wow. Well, I can't help with that. Lol.
Old 07-11-15, 09:56 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I workout every day and usually wipe my car down with gloss enhancer afterwards . I never wash the car because it's perpetually detailed . Only takes 10-12 min and acts as a post workout cool down before I shower

OCD ?? HELL YEAH !!
Old 07-11-15, 11:43 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Haven't washed a car in twenty years. Water is the enemy and an aging accelerant. Wipe down regularly and there's no need to wash under most conditions.
Old 07-12-15, 12:06 AM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it looks fine for about 2 weeks, unless it rains. Then all bets are off
Old 07-12-15, 02:12 AM
user420
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Chris, glad you're here. Keep coming back. God grant me the serenity............
Old 07-12-15, 04:39 AM
ItsJustMe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, my name is Joe and I am a clean car addict.

On the weekends I enjoy wiping down the ride with a detailer and giving a quick coat of tire shine prior to heading out for the day's errands. I run it thru a car wash often ( I pay monthly so I can go literally every single day ) so it's nice and clean.

I am also guilty of checking the weather app on my phone often to see whether or not it's worth it or not to clean the ride haa !!??

I feel your pain guys !!

Quick Reply: How long do you still think your car looks 'good' after you wash it?