Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New stable mate to the GS

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-15, 06:12 PM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by rijc99
I washed the car again to test for condensation and it didn't do it this go around. Hopefully it's gone... Guess its a German thing.

Mine is a 535i M-Sport with the 704 suspension. I had an LCI E60 535i before and that car was a great handling machine. The GS350 FSport's driving dynamics reminds me a lot of that car. Kinda like an E60 with a little more forgiving set of dampers and spring setup. But overall steering, driving dynamics and corning stance feels very similar. It's a very confidence inducing setup. The GS feels smaller than it is when you are pushing it through corners and transitions. It shrinks the harder you push.

The F10 on the other hand has lost a lot of the traditional BMW feeling. It just doesn't feel as connected to the road. The mid cycle refresh brought some of the life back but it's still not what I had with the E60 or GS. Ride comfort is fairly similar between the GS and 535i (GS FSport is slightly stiffer). It's just not as nimble or agile when compared to the GS. The GS feels like it shrinks in transitions, the 535i feels its size at all speeds. It has slightly more body roll and requires constant attention to steering input. I'm sure it's capable but it just doesn't feel natural. It's hard to explain but the 535i doesn't feel as connected to the road.

BTW. I just installed the M sport exhaust and while it doesn't do hardly anything in terms of power, the sound is amazing, especially in Sport/Sport+ modes. Not so much in Normal (Comfort) mode as the transmission has a tendency to shift up at very low RPMs but when it revs up....

If I had to pick a car for a spirited drive through the canyons I'd definitely go with the GS F Sport. It'd be a toss up if it were just an open stretch of highway.
Interesting. I'm not familiar with the new BMWs but your comparison/description makes sense. Thanks for the detailed response. Enjoy!
Old 07-07-15, 06:22 PM
puffdaddy
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Great looking car! I came from BMW (E60 535i Sport), and agree with your review. The F chassis was too "soft" and the reliability took it out of the running. The E60 gave me CONSTANT CEL/ limp mode, but when it ran right, man that car was GREAT!. It is the first car I've ever missed.
I think the GS F Sport is as close as I can get to the ride and handling of the 5, (but is a bit underpowered).
Enjoy the new ride (best color choice too )
Old 07-07-15, 08:42 PM
user420
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats, that is one beautiful vehicle. Many years ago I owned a 328i that I was crazy about!! I can only imagine how great it must feel to drive your 5 Series.
Old 07-07-15, 08:56 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Yes, it's a German thing. My wife's Benz GL 450 gets the headlight condensation also. Apparently, it's normal (then something goes wrong, another German thing).
Old 07-08-15, 06:01 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Congrats on the BMW. I just traded out of a 2012 550 into my A7 (the GS is my wife's). Many things I really liked about the BMW, a few I didn't. But they are all really nice cars with different compromises.
Old 07-08-15, 01:03 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

I washed the car again to test for condensation and it didn't do it this go around. Hopefully it's gone... Guess its a German thing.

Mine is a 535i M-Sport with the 704 suspension. I had an LCI E60 535i before and that car was a great handling machine. The GS350 FSport's driving dynamics reminds me a lot of that car. Kinda like an E60 with a little more forgiving set of dampers and spring setup. But overall steering, driving dynamics and corning stance feels very similar. It's a very confidence inducing setup. The GS feels smaller than it is when you are pushing it through corners and transitions. It shrinks the harder you push.

The F10 on the other hand has lost a lot of the traditional BMW feeling. It just doesn't feel as connected to the road. The mid cycle refresh brought some of the life back but it's still not what I had with the E60 or GS. Ride comfort is fairly similar between the GS and 535i (GS FSport is slightly stiffer). It's just not as nimble or agile when compared to the GS. The GS feels like it shrinks in transitions, the 535i feels its size at all speeds. It has slightly more body roll and requires constant attention to steering input. I'm sure it's capable but it just doesn't feel natural. It's hard to explain but the 535i doesn't feel as connected to the road.

BTW. I just installed the M sport exhaust and while it doesn't do hardly anything in terms of power, the sound is amazing, especially in Sport/Sport+ modes. Not so much in Normal (Comfort) mode as the transmission has a tendency to shift up at very low RPMs but when it revs up....

If I had to pick a car for a spirited drive through the canyons I'd definitely go with the GS F Sport. It'd be a toss up if it were just an open stretch of highway.
Interesting comparison.

I currently have 535i With the 704 Msport suspension and to me it rides and handles perfectly unless you are on tight switchbacks with constant turns then you definitely feel the weight for sure.
My lease is done soon so GS is one of the cars on the list. I agree that GS definitely feels lighter although my seat time in it is very limited.

The only thing im confused is if you have the fixed 704 suspension - there should no Sport + mode only Sport.
Old 07-08-15, 02:38 PM
rijc99
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Interesting comparison.

I currently have 535i With the 704 Msport suspension and to me it rides and handles perfectly unless you are on tight switchbacks with constant turns then you definitely feel the weight for sure.
My lease is done soon so GS is one of the cars on the list. I agree that GS definitely feels lighter although my seat time in it is very limited.

The only thing im confused is if you have the fixed 704 suspension - there should no Sport + mode only Sport.
I think it's one of the changes they did in the LCI. I have 704 and Sport+ mode.
Old 07-08-15, 02:41 PM
rijc99
Lead Lap

Haha. The fun begins.

SA believes this is the fuel pump recall. But could be something else because he said they were just alerted to a fuel pump recall this week so it should not have been attached to my vin already.
Old 07-08-15, 03:57 PM
Bartman619
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

LOL....I feel your pain. After owning 3 Bimmers, I just couldn't do it anymore. The last one having an electric water pump and thermostat going out at 65K costing me about $1K to fix, 2 leaky valve cover gaskets $400.00 a pop, this HPFP issue that BMW just can' get rid off covered by warranty, and the ever present carbon deposits from the DI fixed by walnut blasting about every 20K-30K miles $350.00. No wonder many lease a BMW now than buy or not keep them after the warranty expires. Good Luck with your ride. Love the AW color. Get a JB tune while you're at it.
Old 07-08-15, 08:47 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

Congrats. I am now a member of the BMW family as well.
Old 07-09-15, 11:55 AM
rijc99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexRuger
Congrats. I am now a member of the BMW family as well.
What'd you get? And did it replace the GS or do you still have that?
Old 07-09-15, 12:34 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

What'd you get? And did it replace the GS or do you still have that?
I got a pre-owned 750li. And yes the GS is gone.
Old 07-09-15, 02:37 PM
rijc99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexRuger
I got a pre-owned 750li. And yes the GS is gone.
Nice. Hope you'll decide to stay around here even though the GS is gone.

Make sure your N63 Customer Care Package (Bulletin B001314) was completed along with the new Fuel Pump recall (SIB 13 02 15). They're supposed to change both fuel pumps in addition to what is required in N63 CCP.
Old 07-09-15, 03:01 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
I don't think my GS lights ever have condensation when washing it. I know I'm not blind cause I woulda freak out and go straight to my sales manager demanding a new car.
Condensation in the fog lights was a big issue on the 2RX. Haven't really heard any other Lexus models being affected by condensation on the same scale since
Old 07-09-15, 07:33 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Nice. Hope you'll decide to stay around here even though the GS is gone.

Make sure your N63 Customer Care Package (Bulletin B001314) was completed along with the new Fuel Pump recall (SIB 13 02 15). They're supposed to change both fuel pumps in addition to what is required in N63 CCP.
Thanks for the heads up. I've done lots of research before even touching the car because I know reliability is a MF. I would've preferred the 740 since that engine is known to be more reliable but I couldn't find any I liked. But it's ok because I'm enjoying that V8 torque.

Soon as the warranty is up it's getting sold.

Quick Reply: New stable mate to the GS