Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First Lexus! Need Advice!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-15, 07:18 PM
LexusFan93
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
LexusFan93 welcome to CL and I can relate to your passion on getting into a Lexus, even if it may not be the most sensible choice seeing you're into your first job.

That aside, I have both the IS 250 and NX 200t, both AWD F Sports.
Wow no better opinion than one that comes from someone who owns both. Would you consider adopting me into your family? I want a lexus...

That really helped clear some things up, I want the NX but financial decision wise normally I make good decisions. My money is always in investments such as common stock and mutual funds, I've owned and sold my own business at 22 but when it comes to this I can't do it. I could either go a cheaper route such as a fully loaded sonata which has a nice warranty and a lot of features, some of which the lexus with premium package wont even have though in a couple of years down the line it wont be worth much if I ever want to trade it in or sell it. The lexus will maintain its value but its more expensive. I could pay a brand new fully loaded sonata off in a year (price after negotiations), the NX would be two but its a much larger chunk of my income that would otherwise be deposited into my mutual funds.

there is a middle ground of sorts in a used 2014 IS 250 awd but honestly I just don't see myself in it.

btw can someone tell me how the 2013 GS 350 awd is in terms of reliability.

Last edited by LexusFan93; 07-05-15 at 07:44 PM.
Old 07-05-15, 07:52 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusFan93
Wow no better opinion than one that comes from someone who owns both. Would you consider adopting me into your family? I want a lexus...

That really helped clear some things up, I want the NX but financial decision wise normally I make good decisions. My money is always in investments such as common stock and mutual funds, I've owned and sold my own business at 22 but when it comes to this I can't do it. I could either go a cheaper route such as a fully loaded sonata which has a nice warranty and a lot of features, some of which the lexus with premium package wont even have though in a couple of years down the line it wont be worth much if I ever want to trade it in or sell it. The lexus will maintain its value but its more expensive. I could pay a brand new fully loaded sonata off in a year (price after negotiations), the NX would be two but its a much larger chunk of my income that would otherwise be deposited into my mutual funds.

there is a middle ground of sorts in a used 2014 IS 250 awd but honestly I just don't see myself in it.

My first Lexus was a slightly used RX. It made financial sense since I saved on the big first year depreciation. It was very reliable and I loved it. No regrets as I absolutely wanted a Lexus.
Old 07-05-15, 07:56 PM
LexusFan93
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
My first Lexus was a slightly used RX. It made financial sense since I saved on the big first year depreciation. It was very reliable and I loved it. No regrets as I absolutely wanted a Lexus.
I feel like I'm you in the past. Define slightly used for me if you can? How many miles are talking?
Old 07-05-15, 08:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Welcome to CL, LexusFan93.

In most cases, I'd go with a new vehicle over a used one. If you can spend 42K like you indicated in your opening post (besides the options that have already been discussed), you can look at the existing RX...they are likely to be discounted somewhat when the all-new RX debuts this fall. IMO, the RX is more pleasant to drive than the NX...the NX, for a Lexus product, does not seem very well-insulated against wind and road noise.

though...everyone is making me consider that sonata more lol
If you're going to look at a Sonata, the Kia Optima, which is about the same size and price-range, IMO, is better-looking and shares the Sonata drivetrain and warrantes.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-05-15 at 08:14 PM.
Old 07-05-15, 08:21 PM
LexusFan93
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Welcome to CL, LexusFan93.

In most cases, I'd go with a new vehicle over a used one. If you can spend 42K like you indicated in your opening post (besides the options that have already been discussed), you can look at the existing RX...they are likely to be discounted somewhat when the all-new RX debuts this fall. IMO, the RX is more pleasant to drive than the NX...the NX, for a Lexus product, does not seem very well-insulated against wind and road noise.

If you're going to look at a Sonata, the Kia Optima, which is about the same size and price-range, IMO, is better-looking and shares the Sonata drivetrain and warrantes.

I like the RX but they arent as fuel efficient as the ones I am currently looking at unless I go the rx450h route in which case they have quite a bit of miles. Also I dont trust hybrid batteries long term, when its out of warranty it costs over 6-8 grand

I also didnt encounter much road noise when I was driving the NX, the salesman I dealt with insist that I "burn through the company gas" on the highway

Sonata is my escape out of luxury and lexus option if I decide that its a bad decision. I was looking at the 2016 Kia optima, its nice but not out yet though it might be when I decide to buy.
Old 07-05-15, 10:37 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

All modern Lexus's are reliable. There is no difference worth reporting. So do not worry about one being a dud.

All the models you listed for consideration are solid. I'd just make it your own personal choice. You can't go wrong with any of them. The Sonata you mentioned is also sharp and would prove very reliable. Don't shy away from it because of the name or resale (which is improving). Drive what serves your purpose most and one that has styling you are happy with.

Good luck, and welcome to CL!
Old 07-06-15, 07:32 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

How about an ES300h? That's a huge, comfortable car that gets 40 mpg or better in city driving. You can also get one for under your 42k budget. It might not drive as nice as a GS in the twisties but it's an excellent cruiser.
Old 07-06-15, 08:19 AM
LexusFan93
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chromedome
How about an ES300h? That's a huge, comfortable car that gets 40 mpg or better in city driving. You can also get one for under your 42k budget. It might not drive as nice as a GS in the twisties but it's an excellent cruiser.
I have my heart set on an awd car, I drove the ES in between the NX and GS and it just didn't feel the same as the others on the road. In regards to the hybrid I am afraid the hybrid battery might just give up on me one day and leave me with a very expensive burden.
Old 07-06-15, 08:30 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 584 Likes on 403 Posts

Hybrids are plenty reliable. If they weren't they wouldn't be used as taxis
Old 07-06-15, 09:27 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts
Default First Lexus! Need Advice!!!!

I have my heart set on an awd car, I drove the ES in between the NX and GS and it just didn't feel the same as the others on the road. In regards to the hybrid I am afraid the hybrid battery might just give up on me one day and leave me with a very expensive burden.
I wouldn't buy a Lexus at your age. Most are just not that fun to drive. Subaru WRX, Infiniti Q40 AWD are also reliable and probably way more fun.
Old 07-06-15, 10:38 AM
LexusFan93
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by EZZ
I wouldn't buy a Lexus at your age. Most are just not that fun to drive. Subaru WRX, Infiniti Q40 AWD are also reliable and probably way more fun.
Fun to drive means nothing to me, reliability and comfort are what matters.
Old 07-06-15, 07:07 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Fun to drive means nothing to me, reliability and comfort are what matters.
WOW - well then get the ES or RX.

IS, GS and even NX are all praised for being fun to drive but at the expense of the typical Luxury boat feel Lexus is traditionally known for.

If I were in your shoes, I would lease IS250 Fsport - with the new IS200t coming in the next 2-3 months there will be plenty of deals to be had.

I think the ES and RX would suit you the best though....get a CPO
Old 07-06-15, 10:16 PM
LexusFan93
Driver School Candidate

I'm curious, what do you guys think of a 2015 TLX V6 AWD with Advance package?
Old 07-06-15, 10:43 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

That's funny, chrisexv6 on the ES forum was looking at the same car and ended up with an ES350