Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Condensed Static-Review: Tesla Model S

Old 07-05-15, 08:40 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by BrickHead
. Additionally, certain luxury features common in other vehicles at the same price range are missing in this car.
Like what?
Old 07-05-15, 08:49 AM
BrickHead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Like what?
Power sun shades in the doors, self closing doors, 16+ way power adjustable seats - just to name a few based on the 15 minutes I spent in the car..
Old 07-05-15, 09:11 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Power sun shades in the doors, self closing doors, 16+ way power adjustable seats - just to name a few based on the 15 minutes I spent in the car..
Thanks. I will have to look for myself to see what I can find
Old 07-05-15, 10:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I know this is a great car. But does anyone think its interior is not very roomy? I sat in one at a Tesla dealer and thought the headroom was kind of limited. Additionally, certain luxury features common in other vehicles at the same price range are missing in this car.
I mentioned that in the review. Headroom in back, for tall persons my size (6' 2", with a cap) was a little tight because of the low roofline, and entry/exit to and from the rear seat required bending your head way down (as it does with many of today's sedans). But headroom up front was no problem.

The reason that happens is the obsession among manufacturers and stylists today with trying to make sedans look like coupes. Sedans are supposed to be all about carrying people in the back seat......coupes usually aren't.

One other thing, of course, that cuts into interior room is the way the gaudy, football-field-sized central NAV/video screen extends way down into and robs what would otherwise be elbow and knee room around the console.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-05-15 at 09:08 PM.
Old 07-05-15, 10:24 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

I drove a P85 and it is a very nice product

As has been mentioned, they are somewhat behind on the complete lux package

No full led exterior lighting
I do not believe they have ventilated front seats
The motorized door handles are an excess complication
There were no interior grab handles at the roof liner (Musk didn't like the look)
Old 07-05-15, 10:34 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
There were no interior grab handles at the roof liner (Musk didn't like the look)
I rarely ever see the ones in my cars ever get used. I think it states in my manual that they should not be used while entering or exiting the car.
Old 07-05-15, 10:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
A regular 120V home-outlet typically takes 8 hours or more (perhaps even more with the Tesla's long-range batteries). A 220V outlet, similar to that for a dryer or oven, might cut that to just a couple of hours. But Tesla outlets (supposedly, since I didn't actually see one) use 400V chargers, the most powerful ones currently available, that can do the job in 20-30 minutes.
Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I don't know about you, but I find the Tesla fascinating and would do it if I had the money for an additional car in that price range. I also find the new upcoming Mirai fascinating as well, although there is not center speedo.

That's fine (and I'm glad you like it), but what does that have to do with my earlier comment on Tesla and non-Tesla charge-outlets? (that's what you were replying to) I don't follow you.
Old 07-05-15, 10:36 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

That's fine (and I'm glad you like it), but what does that have to do with my earlier comment on Tesla and non-Tesla charge-outlets? I don't follow you.
I simply quoted you to possibly start a discussion among about the two vehicles I mentioned, since we are apparently the same person

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-05-15 at 10:47 AM.
Old 07-05-15, 05:08 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

So what does this cost? Prices start at $57,500 for a 70D and run to $87,500 for the top-line P85D....although state and/or Federal tax credits for alternate-fuel vehicles may lower it some. For well-heeled buyers, though, it just might be worth it......
Your pricing is incorrect. The 70D starts at $75,000 + $1,200 in destination/handling charges, and the P85D starts at $105,000 + $1,200.
Old 07-05-15, 06:32 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Does the huge touchscreen panel get really dim at night to preserve night vision? Driving on a dark highway without any street lighting, I had to turn down the instrument panel and button lighting on my ES so I could see the outside better. I also had to turn the navigation display off because it was too bright even at the lowest setting.

A big LCD like on the Model S would still emit a lot of light at its dimmest setting but you can't turn it off because you'd lose access to all controls. I wonder if there's a Saab-like night mode with dim red lighting on the Model S.
Old 07-05-15, 06:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
Your pricing is incorrect. The 70D starts at $75,000 + $1,200 in destination/handling charges, and the P85D starts at $105,000 + $1,200.
OK....good catch. I took my figures right off the web-site that I included, but the fine print said that was after all of the incentives and tax credits....underneath were the actual list prices, before the credits, that you note.

I'll correct that.
Old 07-05-15, 08:38 PM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are about 10,000 miles into our ownership experience, and our Model S does indeed make my Aston Martin look bad. I would say the Aston has the Tesla beat on interior build quality /material (and exhaust note!), but thats it.
Old 07-05-15, 08:46 PM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Model S screen is unnecessarily huge (yes it is dimmable), but the screen controls combined with the steering wheel controls are simple and intuitive. Head room in the back is limited if youre over 5'9" but the cabin overall is spacious. Also, the car rides like rocket in stealth mode (that never needs gas). Operating cost for us has been less than $20 bucks per week.
Old 07-06-15, 04:47 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

One problem I see is overcrowding at charging stations. As the Tesla gets more and more popular how do they plan on addressing the issue of long wait times?
Old 07-06-15, 04:59 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

My mother has a P85D and its fun to drive. The initial acceleration is crazy and unlike any other car; only downside is it tapers off at higher speeds noticeably. I like the car as a whole but man the interior design doesn't gel with me AT ALL. It looks cheap to me and certain areas would be wholly unacceptable in other $100k cars. You can tell where the $$$ went in the car development and that's OK because the car as a whole is something to be respected (to say the least).

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
For me, it's extremes, love/hate with this car:

LOVE:
+ exterior styling
+ range (P85) and low running costs
+ smooth, quiet, and powerful acceleration
+ leading edge tech, customer support, and overall brand representation

HATE:
- interior styling: dash design, front/rear seat design with fixed head rests, door panels, everything.
- cheap-appearing plasticky materials (door panels mostly) even though it's mostly leather
- rattle-induced door slam (frameless windows)
- 196" length and 77" width is too big
Right there with you my friend.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MM Condensed Static-Review: Tesla Model S