Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Consumer Reports finds some newer cars burn too much oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-15, 09:10 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

CR also reports most of their readers drive mid grade camrys and accords, keep them for an average of 10 years and hate cars.
Old 07-02-15, 09:16 AM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No. No matter what company representatives say, oil use at those intervals is NOT acceptable. To try and claim otherwise is PR nonsense.

What's being overlooked, though, is that some owners are not breaking in their new vehicles properly. The guidelines in the Owners' Manuals for break-in (4000-4500 RPM max, no full-throttle acceleration, vary engine speed up and down, no hard braking except for emergencies) mean what they say.....they are not merely suggestions. Flaunt them, and one risks improper valve/bearings/ring seating and more-than-necessary oil use.
There is no proper break in procedure. Discussing which break in procedure is correct is like arguing which religion is the correct one.

And if you're going to claim that the manufacturer break in process is correct because they should know best, then you should use that same logic for the oil consumption because they know best.
Old 07-02-15, 09:41 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
CR also reports most of their readers drive mid grade camrys and accords, keep them for an average of 10 years and hate cars.
You mean like the general car buying public.
Old 07-02-15, 10:31 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
You mean like the general car buying public.
actually not. trucks far outsell camrys and accords.
Old 07-02-15, 10:43 AM
Bartman619
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Hmmm....I wonder how many of these affected cars are DI (Direct Injection) engines ? I would probably say more than half.
Old 07-02-15, 11:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by NickTee
There is no proper break in procedure. Discussing which break in procedure is correct is like arguing which religion is the correct one.
True to some extent, but most engineers are still agreed on keeping engine RPMs below 4500, varying engine speed up and down within that range, no jackrabbit starts, and easy on the brakes for the first 500-1000 miles. However, because of better production tolerances today, the whole break in procedure itself is not as critical as it once was.

And if you're going to claim that the manufacturer break in process is correct because they should know best, then you should use that same logic for the oil consumption because they know best.
No. It's basically apples and oranges. Engineers determine break in procedure.....PR reps (usually) handle what the company announces in public.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-02-15 at 12:02 PM.
Old 07-02-15, 12:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Yet, in virtually every monthly issue, they devote the entire rear section of the magazine (15 pages or so) to auto reviews and auto-related products...tires, batteries, insurance, etc...........

I don't think CR would spend that kind of time and money on testing if there wasn't a demand for it from their readers....for a lot more vehicles than just Camrys and Accords.
Old 07-02-15, 01:29 PM
LoveCT
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, what is the underlying cause of the problem? Leaving the driver fallacies out, is it Turbo, or Direct Injection, or thinner grade oil, or a combination of the above, or we don't really know? I mean Fords are not being cited, which seems to have moved to Turbos en masse. Only BMW, Audi and some Subaru's.

I am leaving the driver fallacies out because, to me it doesn't look like we suddenly have a different type of driver behavior spread today than what we traditionally did.
Old 07-02-15, 02:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
True to some extent, but most engineers are still agreed on keeping engine RPMs below 4500, varying engine speed up and down within that range, no jackrabbit starts, and easy on the brakes for the first 500-1000 miles. However, because of better production tolerances today, the whole break in procedure itself is not as critical as it once was.

No. It's basically apples and oranges. Engineers determine break in procedure.....PR reps (usually) handle what the company announces in public.
you have any data to support that?
Old 07-02-15, 03:25 PM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LoveCT
So, what is the underlying cause of the problem? Leaving the driver fallacies out, is it Turbo, or Direct Injection, or thinner grade oil, or a combination of the above, or we don't really know? I mean Fords are not being cited, which seems to have moved to Turbos en masse. Only BMW, Audi and some Subaru's.
This problem escalated ( at least for Audi/VW ) when they started with long life oil and service every second year or so. There have been several stories about people having this 2.0T engine who changed oil quality and started with the "old school" service procedures. This recudced the oil consumption drastically.
Old 07-02-15, 04:17 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,710 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by NickTee
There is no proper break in procedure
Some cars briefly mention it in the owners manual telling you not to drive at a steady speed for more than a few minutes. But other than that you're right there is no rigid break in procedure that auto makers insist people follow, not that I've seen anyway. Maybe some higher performance cars have them, but some of those are broken in at the factory which is the way it should be.
Old 07-02-15, 04:26 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Some cars briefly mention it in the owners manual telling you not to drive at a steady speed for more than a few minutes. But other than that you're right there is no rigid break in procedure that auto makers insist people follow, not that I've seen anyway. Maybe some higher performance cars have them, but some of those are broken in at the factory which is the way it should be.

Toyota and Lexus have a 1000 mile listing in the owners manual. I don't believe that Toyota's or Lexus models are broken in at the factory. And if they are, how does the factory break them in?
Old 07-02-15, 04:45 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Honestly, for some engines oil consumption is the least of their problems.
Old 07-02-15, 05:12 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Bond
This problem escalated ( at least for Audi/VW ) when they started with long life oil and service every second year or so. There have been several stories about people having this 2.0T engine who changed oil quality and started with the "old school" service procedures. This recudced the oil consumption drastically.
How could you tell? If the sump is deep enough to permit a 15k interval, even if you're burning a quart per 1,000 miles it's not going to be low (to the point of triggering the dummy light) by the time you hit 3k and dump/refill.
Old 07-02-15, 05:37 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by LoveCT

I am leaving the driver fallacies out because, to me it doesn't look like we suddenly have a different type of driver behavior spread today than what we traditionally did.
faulty engine design, nothing else.... happens to everyone occasionally, but some are obviously repeat offenders :-)

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports finds some newer cars burn too much oil