Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Consumer Reports finds some newer cars burn too much oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-15, 04:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
...blah blah blah" ????
Yep.....I'm beginning to agree.
Old 07-03-15, 04:25 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yep.....I'm beginning to agree.
I hope the car manufacturers call out CR on their blantent disregard to state what is the truth.

CR needs to stick to reviewing toasters and also letting people know how long peanut butter takes to come unstuck from the roofs of peoples mouthes.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-03-15 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-03-15, 04:40 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
It's not that vague, it says some oil. On the same page it talks about what happens if the engine gets to extreme lows.

The whole issue of burning oil is largely irrelevant as nobody on here noticed that the manual states that engines can burn oil until I decided to read the owners manual.

CR on the other hand is full of it.
Oh, that's vague. So what's normal, what's excessive? The manuals just do not say period.
Old 07-03-15, 04:40 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

The whole issue of burning oil is largely irrelevant as nobody on here noticed that the manual states that engines can burn oil until I decided to read the owners manual.
are you trying to say it is ok if they burn oil because manufacturers have written it into the manual so they can decide not to repair the vehicle?

If they thought their engines should burn oil, they should have told that to the customer before they purchased the vehicle and then customer can decide if they will buy a car that spends 1l of oil per mile or not.
Old 07-03-15, 04:44 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
are you trying to say it is ok if they burn oil because manufacturers have written it into the manual so they can decide not to repair the vehicle?

If they thought their engines should burn oil, they should have told that to the customer before they purchased the vehicle and then customer can decide if they will buy a car that spends 1l of oil per mile or not.
Are you a engine engineer who can claim otherwise? I did not say it earlier, but engines generally burn oil. Toyota has stated why in the manual and I have no problem with it.
Old 07-03-15, 04:46 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

audi has already agreed to oil consumption liability here http://oilconsumptionsettlement.com/
Old 07-03-15, 04:47 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Are you a engine engineer who can claim otherwise? I did not say it earlier, but engines generally burn oil. Toyota has stated why in the manual and I have no problem with it.
It's not vague. Some is not the saem as excessive which is not the same as moderate. Some is not very much, you are reading too much into it now.

Toyota claims new engines burn more oil when new. CR claims that should not happen. I think I would listen to Toyota before I would listen to CR.
Old 07-03-15, 04:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Jill.....I think you pushed the wrong quote button in your last post (#67). You quoted and replied to yourself. Do you want to re-post it, or is that what you intended?
Old 07-03-15, 04:58 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf

See my other reply two posts up.
Old 07-03-15, 05:02 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

It's not vague. Some is not the saem as excessive which is not the same as moderate. Some is not very much, you are reading too much into it now.

Toyota claims new engines burn more oil when new. CR claims that should not happen. I think I would listen to Toyota before I would listen to CR.
"standards for certain Audi and BMW cars say that it's reasonable to burn a quart of oil every 600 to 700 miles. Subaru considers one quart burned for every 1,000 to 1,200 miles to be acceptable, Consumer Reports said."

Do you think it's reasonable and not excessive to burn a quart of oil every 600 to 700 miles?
Old 07-03-15, 05:24 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joeb427
"standards for certain Audi and BMW cars say that it's reasonable to burn a quart of oil every 600 to 700 miles. Subaru considers one quart burned for every 1,000 to 1,200 miles to be acceptable, Consumer Reports said."

Do you think it's reasonable and not excessive to burn a quart of oil every 600 to 700 miles?
Does is that stated in the manual?
Old 07-03-15, 05:54 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

I don't get the CR hate around here. I had a Twin Spark Alfa that used a liter of oil every 1000 km, sometimes even more, and that was with normal city driving. That was just above the upper limit stated in the manual. The dealer tore apart the engine and found mismatched piston rings were the cause. After a rebuild under warranty, the engine didn't use any oil. My next Alfa - stupidity strikes twice - had a FPT Multiair turbo and that lovely little engine didn't use a drop of oil.

So if the Italians with their dreadful reliability record can make engines that don't consume oil, why can't Audi and BMW? It looks more like bad design on the Audi turbo fours and BMW V8s, with heavy oil consumption triggered by a specific set of factors - driving load, average engine temperature, even gas quality? Who knows but those manufacturers need to stop pretending this isn't a problem.
Old 07-03-15, 06:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chromedome
I had a Twin Spark Alfa that used a liter of oil every 1000 km, sometimes even more, and that was with normal city driving. That was just above the upper limit stated in the manual. The dealer tore apart the engine and found mismatched piston rings were the cause.
Different piston rings in the four cylinders? That's probably the funniest assembly-line goof I've heard of since the one in those older, notoriously sloppy Chrysler plants, where they put Dodge trim/hardware on one side of the car and Plymouth on the other. That one embarrassed even the UAW.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-03-15 at 06:06 PM.
Old 07-03-15, 06:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

a lot have changed since the last time lx450 was still in production
Old 07-03-15, 06:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joeb427

In my friends VW Passat, it states in the manual that one quart per 1200 miles is considered normal.

Subura states the same.

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports finds some newer cars burn too much oil