Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New B9 Audi A4 unveiled...

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-15, 07:58 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
Based on this and the new Q7, I think Audi has taken a major step backwards in design. They were cutting edge 7 years ago, now they seem to have lost their mojo. Looks like they've gone the VW route of carving out "bars of soap". If this is the basis for the upcoming S5 I won't be trading for another one.
they seem to be going on old Toyota route of not offending anyone.

Looking at new A4 and Q7, and then back at S5, amazing fall from grace - from best design to mediocre quite fast.
Old 07-01-15, 01:03 AM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by impruv
The RS3 is coming...
Yea, but why not RS4? I don't get it. They would be sure to steal tons of sales from the M3/C63.
Old 07-01-15, 03:03 AM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dseag2
Based on this and the new Q7, I think Audi has taken a major step backwards in design
Q7 looks really good ( elegant ) in person and materials are on a very high level. The only "bad" thing is that it looks a lot smaller than it is, more like the Q5. I think that an A4 with S line will be equally powerful and elegant too.
Old 07-05-15, 11:30 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Drag coefficient is 0.23
Old 07-05-15, 05:08 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Loving the lcd gauge cluster
Old 07-05-15, 07:57 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Bond
The A4 3.0TDI with 218 hp and quattro + tiptronic sounds like a really good option to me. These detuned engines from Audi are always stronger than they are supposed to be and you would probably not notice any difference at all compared to the 272 hp version based on daily driving.
And everyone here disses the 4GR 2.5l V6 for it's "paltry" 209hp?
Old 07-06-15, 04:12 AM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

Originally Posted by My0gr81
Its not possible to compare a modern diesel with an old V6, let me show you an example. This is the newest Passat 2.0Tdi with 240 hp:

Its gets from 0-100 km/h (GPS) at 5,9 sec in this test. Lexus states 5,6 sec to 60 mph ( 96 km/h ) for the IS 350 AWD auto. Its not like that the Passat is faster buy it do really tells you what the 218 hp Audi will do to the IS 250 The is 250 is more like a 150-60 hp diesel at best.
Old 07-06-15, 05:05 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

I dissed 4GR not because of the numbers, but because when I tried GS250 it barely moved. It might be smooth engine, but technologically it did not use latest Lexus tech back in 2006, let alone in 2015.
Old 07-06-15, 05:37 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 564 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by ABC
Loving the lcd gauge cluster
I was thinking the same thing
Old 07-06-15, 10:20 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 4GR doesn't have 295 ft lbs of torque.
Old 07-06-15, 12:31 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Headlights are the only cool thing....

I'm sure in S4 or RS4 trim this thing would look good.

Old 07-06-15, 08:04 PM
Hoovey689

^ agreed the headlights are quite striking
Old 07-16-15, 10:33 AM
Hoovey689

Default 2017 Audi A4 Deep Dive

Unchanged. Plain. Boring. These words have been used to describe the new 2017 Audi A4, but they all miss the point entirely. Yes, the design of the new A4 is evolutionary, rather than a ground-up restyling. But as they say in ancient High German, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Of course, if you're at all interested in the 2017 Audi A4, you've probably read all about it in the official press release a few days ago. So we'll cut to the chase and tell you the bits you don't already know: the American-market details. We spent a day at Audi headquarters in Ingolstadt last week finding out the latest and poking around the A4 in the metal.

The new A4 is wider, longer, and roomier than before. The lines are crisper and sharper, but yes, the proportions have remained very similar. That was done on purpose, thoughtfully. Not out of laziness. Stand any two sequential generations of Porsche 911 next to each other and you'll find they are rather similar. And yes, people do complain about that. But they also complain about the property tax rate on their third home in Monaco.

That familiar-looking body gets a shockingly low coefficient of drag of just 0.23. The improvements in drag come from fine-tuning details down to the placement of the side mirror (now on the door, rather than the triangular window panel) and the contouring of the inner edge of the side mirror, which gets little vortex generating bumps to improve the turbulent airflow in that area, reducing drag. Attention to detail and refinement of a successful design – not boring, lazy repetition.

Another notable departure in the styling of the new A4 is equally subtle, but even more significant from a precision manufacturing perspective: the hood has no cut lines on its upper surface. Instead, the hood now wraps around the tops of the fenders, the cut line integrating with the sharp crease that runs down the entire body side. The creation of this cut line requires extremely tight manufacturing tolerances to enable the precise alignment of the hood and fender gap with the stamped-in crease in the door panel; misalignment would be obvious and catastrophic to the clean, simple design's flow.

Now, let's rip off this Band-Aid: no, we won't be getting the Avant. Why? Because no one buys it, vociferous vocalizations on the Internet aside. Instead, we'll get the A4 Allroad (like we currently do), which, according to Audi's internal measurements, will sell about ten times as many units in the US as the Avant would have.

Next, the engines. We will get two; the 2.0-liter TFSI turbocharged gasoline four-cylinder and the 2.0-liter TDI turbocharged diesel. The gasoline engine is significantly updated, with a new cylinder head including an integrated exhaust manifold, dual fuel injection, variable valve lift, and an electronic wastegate for the turbocharger.

The 2.0-liter TFSI also gets a new Miller-cycle-style alteration of the compression and power strokes of the four-cycle process. When driven lightly, the valves close early on the intake stroke, reducing the volume of air to be compressed (and thereby reducing compression losses). The smaller intake volume means the compression ratio could be raised from 9.6:1 to 11.7:1, gaining back some of the power lost to the smaller intake volume. When driven in a sporty manner, the intake valves stay open longer, bringing more air into the engine. These changes were made to maintain the car's power and performance when pushed hard, and to enhance its efficiency when driven more typically.

Like its application in the new Audi A6, the 2.0 TFSI is rated at 252 horsepower and 273 pound-feet of torque. The 2.0 TDI diesel engine is largely the same as the one we already know in the US from Audi and Volkswagen.

All A4 models will launch, initially, with the seven-speed S-tronic dual-clutch transmission, but a manual is still under consideration for the US. Better yet, the manual may be available with Quattro all-wheel drive (which is standard on the S-tronic launch models). Sadly, we don't have any word, or even hints, whether that manual may become available in the American-spec Allroad.

Inside the A4, the specification is raised, as well, with Alcantara door panel coverings as standard equipment on all cars, and Alcantara seat inserts included as part of an upgrade package. Open-pore woods, high-quality plastics, and Audi's hard-earned reputation for precision fit and finish are all in evidence in the cabin of the new A4. While the previous A4 was beginning to look a bit dated, both in terms of its design and materials, the new A4 is primed to take on the current class-leader, the latest Mercedes-Benz C-Class.

Beyond these bits, we'll have to wait until closer to the US-market launch of the A4 to learn more about the equipment and features that will be approved for our market. One thing we can promise you, however, barring monumental change in the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, is that we won't be getting any frickin' lasers.

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2017-audi-a4-deep-dive/
Old 07-28-15, 09:51 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Is the new Audi A4 the car to beat the likes of the BMW 3 Series and Jaguar XE? We hit the road for a first drive to find out.
Old 07-29-15, 01:35 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Car & Driver just did an initial test and also came away very impressed. Perhaps if one can get past the sedate styling (I call it clean and modern), this is a hidden gem. I just hope they give us the split exhaust instead of the combined 1980's pipes. There's been no rhyme or reason as to which cars have what according to the press photos and these new videos.

Quick Reply: New B9 Audi A4 unveiled...