Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Gas prices...

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-11, 11:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by bruce van
If gas prices stay high, it is going to affect the economic recovery. I don't think the government will want this, but then again, they've been pushing for people to drive more fuel efficient vehicles.

Maybe this is the catalyst they have been waiting for. Maybe the government wants people to dump their cars and buy new fuel efficient cars from GM and Chrysler.

It gets sooo complicated now that the line between private and public has been crossed.
good point.

actually the secretary of energy, a steven chu has said point blank he WANTS higher prices 'like europe' that was in 2008, but just this weekend he's been talking again, not backed down at all.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/energ...igh-gas-prices

i think his views make him 100% the WRONG person for the job.
Old 04-03-11, 11:19 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stick
I hardly ever look at the price of gas anymore. I need it, so I pay for it. If gas was $10 a gallon I'd still fill up, I would not just fill half my tank.

I remember when gas was 0.60 cents a gallon in the mid 80s.
Attached Images  
Old 04-04-11, 06:22 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
good point.

actually the secretary of energy, a steven chu has said point blank he WANTS higher prices 'like europe' that was in 2008, but just this weekend he's been talking again, not backed down at all.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/energ...igh-gas-prices

i think his views make him 100% the WRONG person for the job.
I see your point, but if $4 gas (and not $9,$10 like in Europe) is what gets people to get more efficient cars and gets the auto industry to develop them then I am for it. Look what we've gotten so far. The GS and RX hybrids are quick, smooth, efficient vehicles. The 335d is very efficient given its potency. And I love the quick and nimble 30 MPG A4. Keep it coming.
Old 04-04-11, 08:20 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I see your point, but if $4 gas (and not $9,$10 like in Europe) is what gets people to get more efficient cars and gets the auto industry to develop them then I am for it. Look what we've gotten so far. The GS and RX hybrids are quick, smooth, efficient vehicles. The 335d is very efficient given its potency. And I love the quick and nimble 30 MPG A4. Keep it coming.
That first thought really troubles me. It shows a mentality that thinks everyone can up and afford to go out and buy a new car. Now if you mean they trade in their older V8 gas guzzlers for an equally price used gas sipper, I guess that's a fairer thought, but even so, the market for oil is not running out anytime soon, why should prices be so high? Those who have gas guzzlers already pay for it via tax and having to fill up more often. Why punish everyone with higher prices?
Old 04-04-11, 08:26 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Higher gas price isn't going to make me go out and buy a new car. Buying a used beater is cheaper and that's the route I'm going to take when/if I need a car that sips less fuel.
Old 04-04-11, 08:28 AM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Let’s cripple the economy and force people to buy cars they don’t want, awesome!
Old 04-04-11, 04:13 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jewcano
That first thought really troubles me. It shows a mentality that thinks everyone can up and afford to go out and buy a new car.
...Yes, we're all running out and trading in our cars now. The point is that efficiency is being forced. And now you can trade in your 16 MPG Explorer for a 20 MPG Explorer if you choose to do so.

Oil is a finite resource. It costs money. If we were cut off from it, it would cripple us and perhaps even kill us. Therefore, if $4 a gallon is what it takes to get the industry to make more efficient cars that get us that much closer to being off of oil then I am for it. One can still buy the car that one desires. You just have to be willing to pay for it. And we should be thankful that in the U.S. gas is under $4 a gallon and not $10 a gallon like in other parts of the world.

What really irks me about all of this is that when gas hits these high prices, Americans complain and say why do have the gas guzzling vehicles and why didn't the government do more. The consumers dictate the market and consumers wanted Tahoes and H2s and now we're all stuck with them.
Old 04-04-11, 05:09 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

It's gas, its inelastic so we'll all ***** and moan about the price, but we'll still pay for it. As for getting a more efficient vehicle, we love our lx470 and the price of gas won't force us to trade it in. Also, some people really do need gas guzzling suv's as stupid as that sounds. No family of five i've ever seen could get away with living with a small fuel efficient car
Old 04-04-11, 05:22 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
...Yes, we're all running out and trading in our cars now. The point is that efficiency is being forced. And now you can trade in your 16 MPG Explorer for a 20 MPG Explorer if you choose to do so.

Oil is a finite resource. It costs money. If we were cut off from it, it would cripple us and perhaps even kill us. Therefore, if $4 a gallon is what it takes to get the industry to make more efficient cars that get us that much closer to being off of oil then I am for it. One can still buy the car that one desires. You just have to be willing to pay for it. And we should be thankful that in the U.S. gas is under $4 a gallon and not $10 a gallon like in other parts of the world.

What really irks me about all of this is that when gas hits these high prices, Americans complain and say why do have the gas guzzling vehicles and why didn't the government do more. The consumers dictate the market and consumers wanted Tahoes and H2s and now we're all stuck with them.
Paragraph 1: We aren't doing that now but by having such high prices people will be forced to trade in their gas guzzlers to get cheaper automotives they can't afford. There are folks out there who can afford what they have, but can't afford to pick up a new car and make payments on them. So what if the government is pushing manufacturers to make more fuel efficient cars. What will that do about the folks who have not so fuel efficient cars on the roads now, but who CANT afford to go trade theirs in and then make payments on a new one?

Paragraph 2: Poor argument and I'll tell you why. If by some miracle cars were more efficient, and people were able to buy them up like pancakes, government would see a loss of income via taxes at the pump. Our consumption would possibly go down, but you would see gas taxes RISE to match the decrease of income from the savings in fuel consumption. You don't think they'd do that?

Paragraph 3: Those who own these Hummers and Tahoes already pay for it via gas guzzler tax AND having to fill up more often. They are punished by their weak MPG. Prices shouldn't have to jump up and punish EVERYONE because those individuals choose to drive those cars, let them suffer, not make everyone else suffer. And as gray_es300 pointed out, there are folks who actually make use of their gas guzzlers whether it be by towing large things or for business purposes.
Old 04-04-11, 05:24 PM
E6BAV8R
Pole Position

Originally Posted by stick
I hardly ever look at the price of gas anymore. I need it, so I pay for it. If gas was $10 a gallon I'd still fill up, I would not just fill half my tank.

I remember when gas was 0.60 cents a gallon in the mid 80s.
This. I just filled up and didn't even look at the cost until I was done, and that is just because I remembered this thread and wanted to look.

$3.87 for 91 and was $52 to fill it up.
Old 04-04-11, 05:54 PM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Originally Posted by gray_es300
It's gas, its inelastic so we'll all ***** and moan about the price, but we'll still pay for it. As for getting a more efficient vehicle, we love our lx470 and the price of gas won't force us to trade it in. Also, some people really do need gas guzzling suv's as stupid as that sounds. No family of five i've ever seen could get away with living with a small fuel efficient car
Good post.....

The tech isnt here yet, and it will be by the time we need it too, if not much sooner!

People want to panic, but we can make ethonal, biodeisel blah blah IF we had to.

Its not the end of the world, in 100 years everyone will look back and laugh......

We are not europe, our country, lifestyle, freedoms to do things are different yet everyone says we need to live like that, I said screw that.
Old 04-04-11, 06:43 PM
noku
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Highest price of regular grade on Oahu today is $4.30 a gallon. It was $4.35 the other day. I know it must be higher on the outer islands because gas is shipped there from here. Hawaii is #2 on the list paying the most taxes on gas, California #1.
Old 04-04-11, 06:45 PM
Luxotic
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

prices are through the roof and oil companies are banking
Old 04-04-11, 06:49 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Wink

Originally Posted by Jewcano
Paragraph 1: We aren't doing that now but by having such high prices people will be forced to trade in their gas guzzlers to get cheaper automotives they can't afford. There are folks out there who can afford what they have, but can't afford to pick up a new car and make payments on them. So what if the government is pushing manufacturers to make more fuel efficient cars. What will that do about the folks who have not so fuel efficient cars on the roads now, but who CANT afford to go trade theirs in and then make payments on a new one?

Paragraph 2: Poor argument and I'll tell you why. If by some miracle cars were more efficient, and people were able to buy them up like pancakes, government would see a loss of income via taxes at the pump. Our consumption would possibly go down, but you would see gas taxes RISE to match the decrease of income from the savings in fuel consumption. You don't think they'd do that?

Paragraph 3: Those who own these Hummers and Tahoes already pay for it via gas guzzler tax AND having to fill up more often. They are punished by their weak MPG. Prices shouldn't have to jump up and punish EVERYONE because those individuals choose to drive those cars, let them suffer, not make everyone else suffer. And as gray_es300 pointed out, there are folks who actually make use of their gas guzzlers whether it be by towing large things or for business purposes.
1. You realize that people aren't flocking to dealers to trade in their cars. Otherwise GM would be much closer to paying off their debt. If anything, people are keeping cars longer given the economy. Nevertheless, the fact remains that higher gas prices have resulted in the more efficient options available today when one does choose to replace their car.

2. I never said that the government wouldn't get their tax money elsewhere. But at the present time, the cost of goods go up because of the price of gas. That's more that the government can make revenue off of...unless you live in Delaware.

3. We all suffer with inefficient cars. Especially with OPEC at the wheel. Cost is based on demand. With oil, as we see demand go higher we see prices go higher. Because they can charge more. Especially with other countries, like China, increasing their demand. More can be charged for a barrel of oil.
Old 04-04-11, 07:02 PM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

We get a ton of oil from Mexico and Canada, people love to get caught up on "the middle east holding a gun to our head"

And just like last time, prices are not sky rocketing because of demand, or because we are about to run out, its market play once again!

Quick Reply: Gas prices...