Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Full-Review: 2015 Toyota Corolla

Old 06-27-15, 05:02 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
It's too bad Toyota did not redo the Matrix which was technically a Corolla wagon. Scion is dead and I can't believe Toyota is still pushing the brand.
it was roughly based on Corolla based MPV from Europe, Verso... nothing to do with Corolla Wagon which was another model at the same time.
Old 06-27-15, 05:33 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
it was roughly based on Corolla based MPV from Europe, Verso... nothing to do with Corolla Wagon which was another model at the same time.
The Matrix was a Corolla built in Cambridge , part of the reason that the current Corolla still offers the 1.8/4speed is that the Matrix was still offered in 2014 as vehicle that people could actually purchase.
Old 06-27-15, 05:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf

You are correct. The Matrix/Vibe, in the U.S., for several years, served more or less AS a Corolla wagon (even with an AWD option) but was not in fact a Corolla wagon. It used the basic Corolla chassis and drivetrain, but had a totally different body/interior than the Corolla wagon itself.
Old 06-27-15, 06:29 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You are correct. The Matrix/Vibe, in the U.S., for several years, served more or less AS a Corolla wagon (even with an AWD option) but was not in fact a Corolla wagon. It used the basic Corolla chassis and drivetrain, but had a totally different body/interior than the Corolla wagon itself.
Yes it is, it is official called a Toyota Corolla Matrix within the Toyota literature at Toyota University.
Old 06-27-15, 07:03 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

yep, overall very similar to Corolla Verso which was Corolla based MPV (van)... but since it is unusual for USA to have a small van, everyone called it a wagon :-).

These very pretty popular at the time in Europe... now thats a bit going down with small SUVs taking over their market (smaller than Rav4). I am pretty sure there will be another Corolla Verso in the future for Europe, but I still wonder... these MPVs are very popular in Japan though so platform will always be there.
Old 06-27-15, 07:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Yes it is, it is official called a Toyota Corolla Matrix within the Toyota literature at Toyota University.
The University is correct.....I'm not disagreeing with you there. It IS a Corolla Derivative, and refered to as such. But it is not a standard Corolla wagon.....it shares underpinnings and drivetrain, but the body/and interior are markedly different.

Part of the reason for that is because the Matrix, unlike the standard Corolla wagon, was developed with more of a utilitarian use in mind...its load floor is longer and larger, and its roof line taller, to allow more and larger cargo.
Old 06-28-15, 09:01 AM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd still take the Mazda 3 over the Corolla 7 days a week and twice on Sundays.
Old 06-28-15, 09:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by venom21
I'd still take the Mazda 3 over the Corolla 7 days a week and twice on Sundays.
Yes, a lot of sport-oriented car buyers would. That's why the Mazda 3 sells so well, though not in the Corolla's numbers.
Old 06-28-15, 09:13 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts
Default MM Full-Review: 2015 Toyota Corolla

Interesting omission on the Corolla LE: There is no steering wheel lock. Whether it is an option or not, I can't remember the last time I've got in a car that didn't have a locking steering wheel.
Old 06-28-15, 11:37 AM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, a lot of sport-oriented car buyers would. That's why the Mazda 3 sells so well, though not in the Corolla's numbers.
Not only that.... Better looking, more available tech, comparable MPG.
Old 06-28-15, 01:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by venom21
Not only that.... Better looking, more available tech, comparable MPG.

Styling is subjective and the available tech adds a lot to the price, I believe the Mazda will be more expensive at the end of the day.

The Mazda 3 was about $2800 more for the same package as my Corolla.

Fuel economy is close and its nice to see the larger engines that Mazda has. The Corolla is larger on the inside.

What I really do like about the Mazda is that is has rear discs, and it has a multi link rear suspension unlike my Corolla and Cruze/Verano which use beam axles.

Now in Canada is unlimited mileage warranty for the Mazda which is nice.
Old 06-28-15, 03:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Now in Canada is unlimited mileage warranty for the Mazda which is nice.
Mazda may have been at least (partially) forced into offering that long warranty because of the below-average reliability record of its SUVs...though the Mazda 3 has generally been better-than-average in reliability. I've owned three small Mazda sedans in my lifetime, and all were decent reliability, though not quite to the level of Toyota or Honda.

What I really do like about the Mazda is that is has rear discs, and it has a multi link rear suspension unlike my Corolla and Cruze/Verano which use beam axles.
Well, apparently you don't have a problem with beam-axles....... you got a vehicle with one. And I don't have a single problem with mine, either.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-28-15 at 03:47 PM.
Old 06-28-15, 07:36 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Since a good driving feel is what Mazda wants to be known for, it should be no surprise that they offer an independent rear suspension in their C-segment car (Mazda 3).

But a torsion beam (semi-independent) rear suspension is probably good enough for most C-segment cars and drivers. The vw Golf -- even the GTi -- always had a torsion beam rear suspension, that is until Ford showed that it was possible to design a compact (and low cost) IRS (the Control Blade suspension) for the 1998 Ford Focus.

Even the D-segment (mid-sized) "4-door sports car" Nissan Maxima came with a torsion beam rear suspension, switched to an IRS for the 3Gen model (1988) but then switched back to the torsion beam for the 4Gen (1994) model, and switched again to an IRS for the 6Gen (2003) model.
Old 06-28-15, 08:37 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
Since a good driving feel is what Mazda wants to be known for, it should be no surprise that they offer an independent rear suspension in their C-segment car (Mazda 3).

But a torsion beam (semi-independent) rear suspension is probably good enough for most C-segment cars and drivers. The vw Golf -- even the GTi -- always had a torsion beam rear suspension, that is until Ford showed that it was possible to design a compact (and low cost) IRS (the Control Blade suspension) for the 1998 Ford Focus.

Even the D-segment (mid-sized) "4-door sports car" Nissan Maxima came with a torsion beam rear suspension, switched to an IRS for the 3Gen model (1988) but then switched back to the torsion beam for the 4Gen (1994) model, and switched again to an IRS for the 6Gen (2003) model.
Sorry but the year is 2015, there should be no excuse for a solid beam axle on a sedan. I truly wish Toyota would of put a multi link or independent in the rear of my Corolla. The Matrix put a rear independent in back for the 2.4 and I think the 09-13 Corolla 2.4 had an IRS as well.

The Corolla, Cruze/Verona should have it.
Old 06-28-15, 09:48 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Sorry but the year is 2015, there should be no excuse for a solid beam axle on a sedan. I truly wish Toyota would of put a multi link or independent in the rear of my Corolla. The Matrix put a rear independent in back for the 2.4 and I think the 09-13 Corolla 2.4 had an IRS as well.

The Corolla, Cruze/Verona should have it.
European Auris has multilink at the back, but only for mid spec and high end models.. base has solid beam axle... Golf also followed suit and now has version with solid beam axle and version with multilink... interestingly enough, when journos drove both at the same time, they said that difference was not large enough to be noticed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MM Full-Review: 2015 Toyota Corolla