Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Anyone cross shopped ES350 with Acura TLX?

Old 06-22-15, 05:28 AM
chrisexv6
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone cross shopped ES350 with Acura TLX?

Ive seen a few comparos between the TLX and ES but a lot of real world opinions (read: forum postings) feel like the TLX compares more to the IS than the ES.

Has anyone here cross shopped the TLX and the ES?

Wife needs a new car soon and we've narrowed it down the ES and the TLX.

She likes the TLX because AWD (we dont get a ton of snow, but when we do, the area around us seems to forget how to plow) and her current car is an 03 TL that hasnt really given us much trouble since we bought it in 03.

I like the ES (we're looking at the Ultra Lux) for the little touches (sunshades, wood steering wheel, etc) and the extra rear legroom while not being a much longer car. I was a tad disappointed in the interior materials, though.

We've driven the TLX but havent driven the ES yet. We did drive the Avalon and she wasnt overly thrilled with the ride, but Im hoping the ES is a little more Lexus-ish in the ride department (i.e. a little less firm than the Avalon). The TLX felt like it was a nice balance between luxury ride and sporty ride. Not as firm as the Avalon was.

Has anyone else compared these two? If so, which did you decide on?

(I realize this is a Lexus forum so most of the answers will be ES but figured Id ask anyway....any opinions are welcome)

Thanks.

-Chris
Old 06-22-15, 09:31 AM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Why not wait for the 2016 ES350 to come out if you're looking at the ES?
Old 06-22-15, 09:52 AM
chrisexv6
Driver

Originally Posted by NickTee
Why not wait for the 2016 ES350 to come out if you're looking at the ES?
Actually not a fan of the new front end. Figured I could parlay that into a deal on a 2015 that Ill "settle" for (at least thats what the dealer will hear)
Old 06-22-15, 09:57 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I have looked at them, sat in them, and drove them, but am currently not interested in any.

The TLX is clearly sportier with a sporty drive and good handling, the TLX and 3rd and 4th gen TL are/were more of a IS/3 series competitor though the Acura's offer much more rear seat room then the IS and they are fwd based so some also compare them to the ES. I don't recall seeing any auto mag reviews that pitted the 3rd and 4th Gen TL against the ES, it was always the IS they are compared against but I am sure many shoppers also compared them to the ES. The 1st and 2nd Gen TL were the ones that competed more against the ES because they focused more on luxury then sportiness.

The TLX has a better awd system then the ES, the ES offers more room, a softer ride, and a focus on luxury and pretty much no focus on sport. Depends on what the priorities are.
Old 06-22-15, 10:05 AM
chrisexv6
Driver

Since we're replacing a 2nd gen TL, the goal is actually close to what it provides. My wife couldnt care less about sport feel, she'd rather have a "floating on air" feel from her car. And her car is the one we tend to take on long drives, where a sporty ride tends to become tiring. So in the ride comparison, the ES wins (for us, anyway)

The TLX seemed to have the nicer interior, but its been a month since I drove it so I dont remember the details. Will have to check one out again just to refresh my memory.

Obviously there is NO AWD in the ES, thats why she is leaning towards the TLX. There are a few times where she has "barely made it" (her words) because of snow piles left in the streets after crappy plowing jobs.

It looks like it might come down to the ride comfort (guessing ES will win), interior quality and if having AWD is more important than things like extra legroom, bigger trunk, etc. Snow tires always an option, she just expressed "disappointment" that we might have to store another set of wheels (I already have a set of winter wheels for my G )

Already gotten decent pricing on both models in question, so thats a wash. Usually thats the hard part, but it seems like its a buyers market right now.
Old 06-22-15, 10:21 AM
kyo7878
Pole Position

I have not cross shopped between the two, but by looks alone I would pick TLX myself~
Old 06-22-15, 11:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel

The TLX has a better awd system then the ES,
From what I can tell, the current-generation ES does not have any AWD systems. Some hybrid Lexus products have an individual electric motor at each rear wheel, giving an AWD effect, but the ES hybrid system does not...it drives only the front wheels.

the ES offers more room, a softer ride, and a focus on luxury and pretty much no focus on sport.
Perhaps marginally on the ride comfort. The latest ES, though still sedate, is not as smooth-riding as its precedessors, and some sound-insulation seems to have been removed as well.
Old 06-22-15, 11:43 AM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Guess you have no choice buy to get an AWD GS350
Old 06-22-15, 11:46 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisexv6
Ive seen a few comparos between the TLX and ES but a lot of real world opinions (read: forum postings) feel like the TLX compares more to the IS than the ES.

Has anyone here cross shopped the TLX and the ES?

Wife needs a new car soon and we've narrowed it down the ES and the TLX.

She likes the TLX because AWD (we dont get a ton of snow, but when we do, the area around us seems to forget how to plow) and her current car is an 03 TL that hasnt really given us much trouble since we bought it in 03.

I like the ES (we're looking at the Ultra Lux) for the little touches (sunshades, wood steering wheel, etc) and the extra rear legroom while not being a much longer car. I was a tad disappointed in the interior materials, though.

We've driven the TLX but havent driven the ES yet. We did drive the Avalon and she wasnt overly thrilled with the ride, but Im hoping the ES is a little more Lexus-ish in the ride department (i.e. a little less firm than the Avalon). The TLX felt like it was a nice balance between luxury ride and sporty ride. Not as firm as the Avalon was.

Has anyone else compared these two? If so, which did you decide on?

(I realize this is a Lexus forum so most of the answers will be ES but figured Id ask anyway....any opinions are welcome)

Thanks.

-Chris
how about new NX suv? it will be way more usable in winter than TLX or ES.
Old 06-22-15, 11:58 AM
chrisexv6
Driver

Originally Posted by NickTee
Guess you have no choice buy to get an AWD GS350
Hehe, we actually have a budget. While the GS is a whole lot of car for the price, still not within budget.

Originally Posted by spwolf
how about new NX suv? it will be way more usable in winter than TLX or ES.
I like the exterior, not the interior. And my take on it is if Im going to buy an SUV, it has to have a 3rd row, otherwise its just a glorified sedan. I have a pickup truck for transporting large amounts of stuff, the car/SUV would be for transporting people and some cargo (i.e. luggage on vacation)
Old 06-22-15, 02:19 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

going to buy an SUV, it has to have a 3rd row, otherwise its just a glorified sedan. I have a pickup truck for transporting large amounts of stuff, the car/SUV would be for transporting people and some cargo (i.e. luggage on vacation)
if snow is issue, then NX will be a lot better in snow due to raised clearance. Have you been inside? It feels nicer than ES... it might be more usable overall than TLX too.

also, when are you looking to purchase? I would wait few months, they are going to introduce new safety sense packages across the lineup this fall, could be a life saver.
Old 06-22-15, 03:00 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Since we're replacing a 2nd gen TL, the goal is actually close to what it provides. My wife couldnt care less about sport feel, she'd rather have a "floating on air" feel from her car. And her car is the one we tend to take on long drives, where a sporty ride tends to become tiring. So in the ride comparison, the ES wins (for us, anyway)

The TLX seemed to have the nicer interior, but its been a month since I drove it so I dont remember the details. Will have to check one out again just to refresh my memory.

Obviously there is NO AWD in the ES, thats why she is leaning towards the TLX. There are a few times where she has "barely made it" (her words) because of snow piles left in the streets after crappy plowing jobs.

It looks like it might come down to the ride comfort (guessing ES will win), interior quality and if having AWD is more important than things like extra legroom, bigger trunk, etc. Snow tires always an option, she just expressed "disappointment" that we might have to store another set of wheels (I already have a set of winter wheels for my G )

Already gotten decent pricing on both models in question, so thats a wash. Usually thats the hard part, but it seems like its a buyers market right now.
My parents own a 2015 ES and it is a really nice car that is easy going in traffic or great on the open highway.

The ride is very smooth and is firmer than the last gen model , however where the ES shines is on the highway from speeds that are 60-85 mph..that is where the big improvement has come from. The car really handles well at high speeds.

Interior materials are fine, just don't get the low end model that has unacceptable faux leather.

As for AWD, a set of winter tires on a 2WD car will out perform all-seasons on an AWD.
Old 06-22-15, 03:35 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
From what I can tell, the current-generation ES does not have any AWD systems. Some hybrid Lexus products have an individual electric motor at each rear wheel, giving an AWD effect, but the ES hybrid system does not...it drives only the front wheels.

Perhaps marginally on the ride comfort. The latest ES, though still sedate, is not as smooth-riding as its precedessors, and some sound-insulation seems to have been removed as well.
Your right, totally forgot the ES did not offer awd, I assumed the hybrid ES had awd did but I have not tried that one yet. SH awd is a more advanced system then what Toyota or Lexus offers in certain models and is even better in the snow then pretty much any system though with good all season tires like Conti Extreme Cont DWS a fwd or even rwd can do just fine in the snow and you don't need to change to snow tires unless it is really bad.
Old 06-23-15, 02:52 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

If you're dead set on having AWD, I'd go for the TLX. It also has sharper handling compared to the ES. I went from a TSX to an ES (couldn't wait for the TLX) and I miss the nimble handling and communicative steering.

The ES shines as a high speed cruiser on long distance trips, especially with the huge amount of space for rear passengers. The current model is firmer and a bit noisier than the old model but there's a lot less body roll.
Old 06-23-15, 04:05 AM
gyrase321
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a Lexus "fanboy" myself, but if the choice is between the ES and the TLX, I'd go with the TLX. ES is a great highway cruiser which "floats on air", but I prefer the sportier feel of the TLX. Depends on your priorities.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone cross shopped ES350 with Acura TLX?