Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why mercedes are money pits

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-15, 07:35 AM
Boomin
Racer

Received 398 Likes on 242 Posts
Default Why mercedes are money pits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPJ6...ature=youtu.be
Old 06-21-15, 07:41 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the Lexus pads not cover the entire rotor either?
Old 06-21-15, 09:14 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Turn the rotors?
Old 06-21-15, 10:40 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

<nominee for most annoying voice ever

and yeah, buying an 8 year old high end mercedes is gonna mean a big maintenance budget. this is not new news.

he says the 80+k (new) car is now 16+k, and so if you put even 8k into it for maintenance, that 24k. so in 8 years the car depreciated 56k or 8k a year. for a high end car that's not outrageous at all.
Old 06-21-15, 10:41 AM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

That guy is a tool and is fairly ignorant on certain things. Sure he can turn a wrench, but he doesn't always know what he's talking about. It's worse because he sometimes gives terrible advice and others listen to him like what he preaches is gospel.
Old 06-21-15, 01:26 PM
Zfrog
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the same story with all the luxury brands from ~2010+
Old 06-21-15, 02:52 PM
zoo
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zfrog
This is the same story with all the luxury brands from ~2010+
Yup, that's is one of the reasons people are leasing luxury cars.
Old 06-21-15, 04:27 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

why is he shouting
Old 06-21-15, 06:19 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
why is he shouting
HAHAHA. This is exactly what I was going to ask.
Old 06-21-15, 06:47 PM
rudyH
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a shame he was forced to buy it. I mean...it's not like he had a choice right? People are crazy.
Old 06-21-15, 07:51 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The guy is just trying to get viewers for his Youtube channel. Nothing wrong with that. He has some nuggets of truth in what he's trying to convey. He just doesn't do it very elegantly.

On the other end of the spectrum you'll see a MB shop owner and repair tech who did an eight part series on it that I thought was pretty good:

Somewhere in the middle lies the truth, but yeah the old adage is still the best: never buy a German car out of warranty unless you like the idea of draining your bank account very, very quickly.

Some of the things that owners report on their Audi/BMW/MB cars are things you would never even have expected to go wrong on a Detroit product during their worst years. It's simply a symptom of outsourcing and cheaping out on components.
Old 06-21-15, 08:33 PM
Stormwind
Racer

The rotor leaving an outer groove is actually a clever bit of engineering by mercedes. If you ever want to know how much rotor you have left on the spot you can just visually inspect it and know exactly what's going on. No need to take wheels off to measure or second guess, pretty clever I think.
Old 06-21-15, 10:52 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I was just thinking my 2007 GS has a bunch of electronics too and costs a buttload of money to fix just as the mercedes is.

Ok, a little cheaper to fix than mercedes, but still....

If you want reliable, let's go back to the 80's, with crank windows and stripped models.
Old 06-21-15, 11:08 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I HAVE to say....so is Lexus!! Seat, driver side door mirror, battery cable.....hits just keep coming. Bad, bad month. Hopefully that's it for awhile.
Old 06-22-15, 10:32 AM
Zfrog
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MattyG
The guy is just trying to get viewers for his Youtube channel. Nothing wrong with that. He has some nuggets of truth in what he's trying to convey. He just doesn't do it very elegantly.

On the other end of the spectrum you'll see a MB shop owner and repair tech who did an eight part series on it that I thought was pretty good:

Buying a 10 to 15 Year Old Mercedes Part 1: Is it Worth it? - YouTube

Somewhere in the middle lies the truth, but yeah the old adage is still the best: never buy a German car out of warranty unless you like the idea of draining your bank account very, very quickly.

Some of the things that owners report on their Audi/BMW/MB cars are things you would never even have expected to go wrong on a Detroit product during their worst years. It's simply a symptom of outsourcing and cheaping out on components.
Yeah, the truth is in the middle.. but a lot closer to where the squeeky loud guy message..

Give you a example.. My friend bought a $30k S class that was only 5 years old. Car was in good shape and had ~60k miles... It was exactly market value for this car...

1 month later, his sunroof gears broke... $1000... No big deal...

2 months later, his air suspension goes and requires almost all 4 corners to be replaced. forgot why, but needless to say, he sunk ~$9k in that car a few months into ownership....

My uncle had a 2003 e350 with sport package which comes with air suspension.. 100k miles the pump started making noises and when we got it checked out, the front shocks needed replacement and the pump did too. Repair was about the price of the car (~$6k)...

WTF do i want air suspension? Just give me good only shock and springs.... But almost all the new Mercedes come with that suspension, so then we wonder why these cars depreciate so much...

Quick Reply: Why mercedes are money pits