Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why mercedes are money pits

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-15, 11:46 AM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Okay, but the LS460 and LS430 have expensive air shocks, so what's your point? Higher end cars have higher end components that cost more. It's not just a Mercedes thing.
Old 06-22-15, 02:07 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Zfrog
WTF do i want air suspension? Just give me good only shock and springs.... But almost all the new Mercedes come with that suspension, so then we wonder why these cars depreciate so much...
No, they really don't. But to your point the reliability of the hydraulic ABC system and Airmatic system were not anywhere near up to par until just recently. The early to mid 2000's were bad for Germans.
Old 06-22-15, 02:15 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

when I got my ML350, I made sure that I did not get air shocks just for that reason, and no AWD. No use in TX.
Old 06-22-15, 06:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
<nominee for most annoying voice ever
Originally Posted by RXSF
why is he shouting
Originally Posted by 97-SC300
HAHAHA. This is exactly what I was going to ask.
Granted, his speech is delivered in a louder and somewhat more brash tone than is necessary (which, of course doesn't help his case). But, IMO, outside of that, much of what he says is right on. The Mercedes S-Class can indeed be a money-pit if the service/repairs aren't covered at factory-expense, and the negative effects of low-profile tires are often overlooked, especially in the auto press where handling and steering response is an obsession.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-22-15 at 09:42 PM.
Old 06-22-15, 08:39 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Holy cow that's an annoying voice.

I'm not sure all of his concerns are strictly related to MB (maybe except for the recessed lugnuts). Most high end cars use top quality materials and those would cost a pretty penny, regardless of manufacturer. If something breaks in an LS, I'm sure the repair cost would be similar, no?
Old 06-22-15, 09:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Holy cow that's an annoying voice.

I'm not sure all of his concerns are strictly related to MB (maybe except for the recessed lugnuts). Most high end cars use top quality materials and those would cost a pretty penny, regardless of manufacturer. If something breaks in an LS, I'm sure the repair cost would be similar, no?
It's not only a parts-cost at issue. Many (though not all) M-B shops also charge higher hourly labor rates than some of their competitors.
Old 06-22-15, 10:39 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It's not only a parts-cost at issue. Many (though not all) M-B shops also charge higher hourly labor rates than some of their competitors.
Ahh I see.
Old 06-23-15, 05:36 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Most high end cars use top quality materials and those would cost a pretty penny, regardless of manufacturer. If something breaks in an LS, I'm sure the repair cost would be similar, no?
it's not just the cost of parts and labor, it's the likelihood of something going wrong. older mercs are known to have more issues like jaguars.
Old 06-23-15, 09:17 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yea - went to the local shop to get wheel alignment. Charge me $20 more than advertised. Called it MB is special and requires special tools and knowledge. BS. But who wants to argue.
Old 06-23-15, 06:33 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
why is he shouting
yep, hate that shouting....just an overall annoying guy that I would never take a car to.

....here's more about the Mercedes if you wanna torture yourself.

Last edited by bagwell; 06-23-15 at 06:39 PM.
Old 06-23-15, 07:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chikoo
Yea - went to the local shop to get wheel alignment. Charge me $20 more than advertised. Called it MB is special and requires special tools and knowledge. BS. But who wants to argue.
Agreed. Letting the alignment go, if it needs adjustment, means you could prematurely wear out a set of expensive tires, and spend as much or more to replace THEM as it would cost to simply align the car in the first place.
Old 06-23-15, 07:43 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
it's not just the cost of parts and labor, it's the likelihood of something going wrong. older mercs are known to have more issues like jaguars.
lol. Never mind older MBs, my fortwo was, a "bit" more unreliable than all the Toyotas my family has owned put together.
Old 06-23-15, 08:19 PM
Zfrog
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
No, they really don't. But to your point the reliability of the hydraulic ABC system and Airmatic system were not anywhere near up to par until just recently. The early to mid 2000's were bad for Germans.
You say now they are up to par? The new ones are are still going to break after about 10 years and ~100k miles and will cost just as much if not more to replace..
Old 06-23-15, 09:03 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
yep, hate that shouting....just an overall annoying guy that I would never take a car to.

....here's more about the Mercedes if you wanna torture yourself.
WHY GOD WHY would you post this.
Old 06-23-15, 09:03 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Wanna talk about expensive Mercedes repairs, look at a S600 AMG(originally around $150,000). $700 dollars per shock(cheapest price you'll get them OEM), the power steering pump is combined with the hydraulic pump for the shocks and the cheapest you'll get that is around $1,600. I'd say add 30-50% of that cost if you were to bring it to a dealer. Oil coolers are a couple thousand, the 100,000 mile service requires 16 hours labor and fluids(is around $8,000 dollars), engine is between $10,000(used) and $20,000(repaired, maybe new). Spark plugs require 5 hours of labor and are also insanely expensive. That's right, you might as well buy another car if the engine goes.

To sum it up: if you buy a S600 AMG, it better have a warranty.

Quick Reply: Why mercedes are money pits