Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

TLX vs Camry vs ??

Old 06-19-15, 06:05 PM
mrsinsyder
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TLX vs Camry vs ??

Hi all,

My dad is looking to purchase his first new car in some time. He loved the Acura TL, but is now looking at the TLX. He's also considering the Camry (both in V6 form). I can't seem to get him to consider Lexus, because he doesn't care for the IS.

Does anyone have any personal experiences with these cars to share? He drives primarily highway, and is not tech-savvy. If there's anything else in that class I'm not thinking of, please chime in. (He likes Subaru but calls it an old man car. Even though he is an old man ).
Old 06-19-15, 06:12 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Coming from a TSX, the new TLX has similar but sharper styling and driving feel. It's a nice car for enthusiastic drivers but road/wind noise and the weird dual-screen controls let it down. The Camry isn't much better on sound deadening and the numb steering and dead-boring design mark it out as more of an appliance.

If you want a dead quiet car with decent looks, an ES is a good choice. Otherwise I'd go for the TLX if your dad doesn't mind the noise and loves a good FWD chassis.
Old 06-19-15, 06:16 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsinsyder
Hi all,

My dad is looking to purchase his first new car in some time. He loved the Acura TL, but is now looking at the TLX. He's also considering the Camry (both in V6 form). I can't seem to get him to consider Lexus, because he doesn't care for the IS.

Does anyone have any personal experiences with these cars to share? He drives primarily highway, and is not tech-savvy. If there's anything else in that class I'm not thinking of, please chime in. (He likes Subaru but calls it an old man car. Even though he is an old man ).
Updated Avalon and ES350?
Old 06-19-15, 06:21 PM
mrsinsyder
Driver

Originally Posted by chromedome
Coming from a TSX, the new TLX has similar but sharper styling and driving feel. It's a nice car for enthusiastic drivers but road/wind noise and the weird dual-screen controls let it down. The Camry isn't much better on sound deadening and the numb steering and dead-boring design mark it out as more of an appliance.

If you want a dead quiet car with decent looks, an ES is a good choice. Otherwise I'd go for the TLX if your dad doesn't mind the noise and loves a good FWD chassis.
Thanks! He's in a 2001 Acura now with 250k + miles, so I know any new driving experience will probably be an improvement. I'm worried the Acura tech may be too much for him.

He seems to think the ES is out of his price range but I will nudge him that way also.

Originally Posted by spwolf
Updated Avalon and ES350?
Forgot about the Avalon, off to check those out now.
Old 06-19-15, 06:46 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Both Avalon and ES are getting facelifts in 1-2-3 months, quite possibly there might be some models with large discounts available and make it his "range" as well.
Old 06-19-15, 07:13 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

How about the Infiniti Q50? The styling is more sedate than the IS350 but still looks nice. I would choose that over a Camry or TLX. Out of his price range?
Old 06-19-15, 07:20 PM
mrsinsyder
Driver

Originally Posted by dseag2
How about the Infiniti Q50? The styling is more sedate than the IS350 but still looks nice. I would choose that over a Camry or TLX. Out of his price range?
Actually, a lease on those is just in his price range as well. I had assumed there would be fewer incentives but they're actually quite well priced. We have a Q60 and really like it. Besides the terrible gas mileage.
Old 06-19-15, 07:32 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Actually, a lease on those is just in his price range as well. I had assumed there would be fewer incentives but they're actually quite well priced. We have a Q60 and really like it. Besides the terrible gas mileage.
Yes, we are on our second G37 Vert (which is Q60 now). Aside from some road noise and a top that ocassionally creaks (I hate hard top convertibles), it has been bulletproof.
Old 06-19-15, 07:48 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Ex had a 2001 SLK320 and that hardtop made no noise, no matter what you did. Meanwhile the EOS is terrible. You look at a pothole and it makes noise. It seems to be hit or miss with them.
Old 06-20-15, 10:36 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Have him look at a new Benz C-class as well. I know they are kind of pricey, but IMO the new model looks great and has a really nice interior. Not sure what your budget is, I know if you stay away from the option sheet you can get a C-class for about $40,000. From all the reviews I've read, and from sitting in them they say its like driving a 5/6th scale S-class. I can vouch that they're a lot bigger/roomier than they used to be.
Old 06-21-15, 01:48 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Have him look at a new Benz C-class as well. I know they are kind of pricey, but IMO the new model looks great and has a really nice interior. Not sure what your budget is, I know if you stay away from the option sheet you can get a C-class for about $40,000. From all the reviews I've read, and from sitting in them they say its like driving a 5/6th scale S-class. I can vouch that they're a lot bigger/roomier than they used to be.
Based on all the hype I went to the local dealer a drove a C300. It is beautiful, but I was very disappointed in the interior room. With the driver's seat adjusted for me, there was not room in the back for even a small adult male. It is much smaller inside than the ES350. The price was also a shock -$45K and this did not even have leather interior. If you get one for $40K, you get plastic interior, no sunroof, and no NAV. The engine had reasonable power, but the 4 cyl was a bit coarse. It was nowhere as smooth or quick as the V-6 in my ES350.

Steve
Old 06-21-15, 02:33 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The C300 is a joke, it's like they threw a base camry into their lineup.
Old 06-21-15, 02:58 PM
mrsinsyder
Driver

Thanks for all the great suggestions. Dad went to the Acura dealership and that was it. He's at home with his new car now.

He did comment about the ride quality and road noise, apparently it wasn't enough to dissuade him. He's owned Honda or Acura since before I was born... old habits die hard

He finds the keyless entry quite nifty. Although I'm dreading the phone calls that are sure to come... how do I work the ....? I should do myself a favor and download the TLX manual now.
Old 06-21-15, 03:00 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by NickTee
The C300 is a joke, it's like they threw a base camry into their lineup.
35k people, to date this year in the US, might disagree.
Old 06-21-15, 03:46 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Thanks for all the great suggestions. Dad went to the Acura dealership and that was it. He's at home with his new car now.

He did comment about the ride quality and road noise, apparently it wasn't enough to dissuade him. He's owned Honda or Acura since before I was born... old habits die hard

He finds the keyless entry quite nifty. Although I'm dreading the phone calls that are sure to come... how do I work the ....? I should do myself a favor and download the TLX manual now.
Congrats. What color combination and options did he get?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TLX vs Camry vs ??