Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota in damage control mode after American exec arrested

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-15, 12:42 AM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by My0gr81
In most of NA, prosecutors (district attorney, crown prosecutors, etc) decide if they want to lay charges or proceed to a grand jury based on the evidence handed over by the police and their judgement on the likelihood of a conviction.
The da (district attorney) gets to decide whether to file charges or not based on evidence, the judge then gets to decide if there should be a trial based on evidence and the jury gets to decide if someone is guilty or not based on evidence.

However, nobody gets to say "well...she's lost her job so she's had enough so we gonna let her Slide."
Old 08-28-15, 06:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormwind
However, nobody gets to say "well...she's lost her job so she's had enough so we gonna let her Slide."
No formal charges are being filed, though (a decision I personally happen to agree with)...so, apparently, the authorities in Japan also feel that loss of her job was enough.
Old 08-28-15, 10:32 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The da (district attorney) gets to decide whether to file charges or not based on evidence, the judge then gets to decide if there should be a trial based on evidence and the jury gets to decide if someone is guilty or not based on evidence.

So that's exactly how it unfolded, the prosecutor decided not to file charges based on evidence. No judge involved since no charges filed.
Old 08-28-15, 07:47 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Originally Posted by My0gr81
So that's exactly how it unfolded, the prosecutor decided not to file charges based on evidence. No judge involved since no charges filed.
Guess you didn't get the sarcasm. Even after I repeated the nonsense you wrote right back at you.
Old 08-28-15, 07:50 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No formal charges are being filed, though (a decision I personally happen to agree with)...so, apparently, the authorities in Japan also feel that loss of her job was enough.
I am suprised you agree with this, would you still feel the same if this happened in the states? Just replace the drugs with something very frowned apon here but perfectly legal somewhere else.
Old 08-28-15, 08:53 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
Ok, so can someone tell how right I was!!!!!

Hamp won't be be charged,

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...yota/29852095/
if someone was making this go away, police wouldnt have made such a big deal of this in the press and leaked new info daily to them - this way it seems as if they made Toyota's first foreign officer quit her post so she wont get charged.
Old 08-28-15, 08:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I am suprised you agree with this, would you still feel the same if this happened in the states? Just replace the drugs with something very frowned apon here but perfectly legal somewhere else.
If the shoe was on the other foot, I would probably feel the same way I do now. I believe the punishment should fit the crime, and I don't think a couple of incorrectly-packaged pain-killers is something that a person should do hard time in prison for. And I say that as a strong supporter of the war on illegal drugs. She already lost her job, so it's not like she got away Scot-free, anyway.

The Japanese prosecutor apparently agreed.....and it's his job to charge people and get them sent to prison if the evidence merits.
Old 08-28-15, 09:59 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
if someone was making this go away, police wouldnt have made such a big deal of this in the press and leaked new info daily to them - this way it seems as if they made Toyota's first foreign officer quit her post so she wont get charged.
Really? You really do believe that?

Below is a case of an American guy 34 years old who illegally imported 21 Oxycontin pills(that's right only 21 pills) and he got 18 months jail with 3 years probation. And this was the exact same method that Hamp used.

Sorry it is in Japanese, but here is article.
http://news.kantsuu.com/201507/20150...4_392041.shtml

Oxycontin IS a very bill deal here and nobody gets off without some sort Jail term. You say that the police would not go to all this trouble and then drop the case, but if you have any idea how Japan legal system works I think you will find that the police and detectives are fuming in their boots right now as they fully intended to go ahead with prosecution. Like I said, someone high up pulled a few strings and down the line it went and who is going to argue with their superior here in Japan.

But, you go ahead and believe what you want.

Last edited by Dave600hL; 08-28-15 at 10:20 PM.