Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota in damage control mode after American exec arrested

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-15, 05:06 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
not so sure... pretty insane that police has raided 3 Toyota offices due to this arrest... not to mention that arrest was public and her being handcuffed was on all TVs.
That is a normal occurrence here, the police searching offices, homes etc. Not a big deal at all and I would not call it raiding offices, that is sensationalism. My guess is that are just interviewing other employees and seeing what she has in her offices.
Although the drug laws here are really strict, hence the handcuffing, once all the crap blows over, someone will talk to someone high up and make it go away ,some where down the line.
Old 06-25-15, 07:22 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

This may get worse first

Someone from Japan is coming to the US to investigate the shipment side of the mess

For context folks, this stuff is akin to heroin and there is zero tolerance in the US for playing fast and loose with it

The best outcome for her would be being sacked and deported

I am betting she could get a bit worse (setting an example) like 3 to 6 months in a cell

And I continue to say that she (and her dad who shipped the stuff) could face some misery over here
Old 06-25-15, 07:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
That is a normal occurrence here, the police searching offices, homes etc. Not a big deal at all and I would not call it raiding offices, that is sensationalism. My guess is that are just interviewing other employees and seeing what she has in her offices.
With a huge company like Toyota, don't they have their own police force, or at least some kind of security-force? Seems to me that even the Tokyo police can't necessarily just go charging onto their property, just like that, without running into some resistance from Toyota's own security force, whose job it is to secure Toyota's property.

Although the drug laws here are really strict, hence the handcuffing, once all the crap blows over, someone will talk to someone high up and make it go away ,some where down the line.
I'm not convinced it was ever such a terribly big deal to start with.
Old 06-25-15, 09:55 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
With a huge company like Toyota, don't they have their own police force, or at least some kind of security-force? Seems to me that even the Tokyo police can't necessarily just go charging onto their property, just like that, without running into some resistance from Toyota's own security force, whose job it is to secure Toyota's property.

They certainly do have security measures in place. Last time I was in Nagoya, I was invited to dinner with a couple of board of directors of their subsidiary Toyota Tsusho, one of whom was on the board of the parent company Toyota. We had a meeting in there main office building earlier in the day in Nagoya and the security was very high, we had to have passes made up in advance to go into the areas that we went to.

What I think you will find is that they probably only looked at her office and interviewed a few of the board members and connecting staff. I am gathering what they are looking for is any proof that she had needed them in the past (makes it easier to dismiss if this is the case) or if you had any others in her possession.

No, any type of drug is a big deal here. On the unlikely chance she is found guilty, she will never be allowed to come back into Japan and most likely have to serve a prison sentence (unless the judge deems it appropriate to pay a fine to avoid Jail time)But, like I said, I am very doubtful anything will ever come of this, it will just fade away and everyone will forget about it.
Old 06-26-15, 05:28 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

An illegal drug sent to her in Japan in a box marked necklaces.
I think both she and her father will have legal issues.
Sending drugs through the mail is illegal here and to another country probably worse.She better have a prescription too.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 06-28-15 at 01:27 PM.
Old 06-26-15, 07:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joeb427
An illegal drug sent to her in Japan in a box marked necklaces.
I think both she and her father will have legal issues.
Sending drugs through the mail is illegal here and to another country probably worse.She better have a prescription too.
Well, that was my original point. From the original media reports, she did seem to have an American prescription for it, if not a Japanese one. Now, later reports seem to question that.
Old 06-26-15, 07:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
What I think you will find is that they probably only looked at her office and interviewed a few of the board members and connecting staff. I am gathering what they are looking for is any proof that she had needed them in the past (makes it easier to dismiss if this is the case) or if you had any others in her possession.
You're probably right.....especially since you live in Japan, and see some of the things there first-hand. So many news and media stories today are written for sensationalism and ratings.

No, any type of drug is a big deal here. On the unlikely chance she is found guilty, she will never be allowed to come back into Japan and most likely have to serve a prison sentence (unless the judge deems it appropriate to pay a fine to avoid Jail time (But, like I said, I am very doubtful anything will ever come of this, it will just fade away and everyone will forget about it.
My guess is that a big factor in her penalty (if any) will be what kind of prescription she had. There seems to be a media-conflict on whether she had one or not, and if it was only an American prescription.
Old 06-26-15, 05:53 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Does anyone still think that the Julie Hamp affair will quietly go away, and that Julie will eventually return to her office at 1-4-18 Koraku, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 112-8701, Japan? All it takes to dissuade one from this silly notion is to witness the steady drip of leaks from the Tokyo Metropolitan Police. Today, the usual “investigative source” told Kyodo News “that the tablets in question were not prescribed for her.” The same source told Kyodo that ” Tokyo police are considering sending officers to the United States to verify Hamp’s statement and confirm other aspects of the investigation.” You don’t go on a fact-finding mission to the U.S. if you want to sweep the matter under the rug.

Yesterday, a police source told Kyodo that Julie Hamp’s father shipped the package with camouflaged oxycodone tablets. A day before, the same police source told Kyodo that Julie Hamp said she needed the powerful painkiller due to problems with her knees. That statement apparently did not sit too well with the police. On the same day, they raided Toyota’s headquarters both in Tokyo, and in Toyota City, Aichi, along with a mysterious “third location.’ Hamp’s office is in Toyota’s PR department in Tokyo, and a visit there to look for pills in the drawer, and incriminating email in the computer, would probably have been enough – unless you want to make a very big point.

As far as the point is concerned, there appear to be two schools of thought in Tokyo. One school thinks that the point being made is that it obviously wasn’t a good idea to make a woman, and an American, the public face of Japan’s biggest company. The other school thinks that the daily leaks and ostentatious raids are simply part of the kabuki drama, and that the police is simply doing is job.
more at dailykaban:
http://dailykanban.com/2015/06/hump-...water-torture/
Old 07-01-15, 09:49 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Toyota's top female executive resigns after arrest in Japan
Associated Press By YURI KAGEYAMA
7 hours ago

TOKYO (AP) — Julie Hamp, Toyota's most senior female executive, has resigned following her arrest in Japan on suspicion of drug law violations, the automaker said Wednesday.

Hamp tendered her resignation through her attorneys on Tuesday, and Toyota Motor Corp. accepted it because of "the concerns and inconvenience that recent events have caused our stakeholders," the company said.

Hamp, a 55-year-old American who was Toyota's newly appointed head of public relations, was arrested on June 18 on suspicion of importing oxycodone, a narcotic pain killer, into Japan. The drug is tightly controlled in the country.

Toyota declined to disclose other details, noting the investigation was ongoing.

Hamp, who previously worked for Toyota's U.S. operations, remains in custody and has not been available for comment. Police have said she denied she tried to bring in an illegal drug.

She has not been formally charged. Japanese authorities can detain suspects without charge for up to 23 days. It is unclear when she might be released.

Police raided Toyota's headquarters in Toyota City in central Japan and its offices in Tokyo and Nagoya five days after her arrest.

Her appointment in April had been highlighted by Toyota as a step toward promoting diversity.

Toyota reiterated Wednesday that it remains committed to diversity. But it acknowledged in a statement that it still needs to become "a truly global company," noting that Hamp's appointment had been a "big step" for the company.

Toyota President Akio Toyoda has said the company should have helped Hamp more in settling into her job in Japan. He also has said he believes Hamp did not intend to break the law.

Her arrest came as she was moving her things from the U.S., and police came to her Tokyo hotel after finding the drug in a package that was mailed to her. Japanese media said the drugs were hidden in a package containing jewelry.

Although Japanese Toyota officials have been posted abroad, Hamp was the first senior foreign Toyota executive to be fully stationed in Japan.

Foreigners have sometimes been detained in Japan for mailing or bringing in medicines they used at home. Such drugs may be banned in Japan or require special approval.

Before joining Toyota in 2012, Hamp worked for PepsiCo Inc. and General Motors Co.

She oversaw marketing and communications for the Toyota, Lexus and Scion brands in the U.S. before her latest promotion.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/toyota...081208990.html
Old 07-01-15, 10:53 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Nothing wrong with an early retirement
Old 07-01-15, 11:15 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

Are you kidding

No more Toyota Century limo rides and awesome sushi at the docks
Old 07-01-15, 11:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
You said it. That was the age I got out......55
Old 07-01-15, 03:08 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

You said it. That was the age I got out......55
Lucky guy. I hung it up at 60 and haven't looked back since.
Old 07-01-15, 03:23 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

Don't assume that she will retire now, at age 55. She will return to the USA, may lay low for a while but I suspect if you do some digging in a year, she will be employed somewhere else.

Good PR people are always wanted. And people like Julie Hamp who have moved so far up the corporate ladder did not do so because they want to retire at 55 (or even 65).
Old 07-01-15, 05:08 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
Don't assume that she will retire now, at age 55. She will return to the USA, may lay low for a while but I suspect if you do some digging in a year, she will be employed somewhere else.

Good PR people are always wanted. And people like Julie Hamp who have moved so far up the corporate ladder did not do so because they want to retire at 55 (or even 65).
I have no doubt she could get another job, especially with her resume. But as you say she may want to lay low while this blows over. If she's the kind that constantly has to do something then she'll likely find employment again. If not, she's probably sitting on a nice little nest egg.

Quick Reply: Toyota in damage control mode after American exec arrested